Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Just got myself really interested and is just doing a bit of reading before I jump on the wagon.

Whats the difference between a TA-03 and a Manta Ray diff?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Read these articles :http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_support/tamiya_bmw_mini_setup_guide.htm

http://rcontario.com/rcorevms2004.html

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=57511

and then do a search on Tamiyaclub.com
for M03 and you will find lots of info .

Also , here is what your next mini could look like with lotsa $$
http://album.foto.virgilio.it/killernow/837767
Old 11-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

tues night mini cooper race at so cal rc track we had a great race and a lot of fun we had 7 racers one of them was taht race with us was deven white mini champion 2005 tcs he had a fun time he even won and he beat dinnis lymann i broke in the final race so all you mini racers in calif come on in and race with us
Old 11-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

The M-03 does not use 48 pitch it uses 32 pitch. coz i use aftermarket 32 pitch pinions.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

After assembling my new kit yesterday, I'm pretty disappointed with the steering linkage on this kit. Slop on the inside, pinched ball ends on the outside, not a very clean setup for racing in my opinion. For TCS rules, what are you guys using to replace the stock setup (part numbers, too, please, I'm not Tamiya parts savvy).

Thanks!

doug
Old 11-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

This is what I have done for mine. I have the M03 rover mini cooper. I don't have any parts numbers off hand. I will grab them later when I remember where they are.

Parts I got for my mini.
Tamiya Ball Differential Set TA03
Tamiya Hollow Carbon Gear Shaft M03/04
Tamiya CVA Super Mini Shock Unit(Had to buy two packages).
Tamiya On-Road Spring Set Short/Soft
Tamiya On-Road Spring Set Short/Medium
Tamiya On-Road Spring Set Short/Hard
Tamiya On-Road Spring Set Short/Extra Hard
Tamiya Front/Rear Stabilizer Set M03
Dynamite Ball Bearing Set M03

Parts I am looking at getting.
Tamiya M-Chassis Universal Shaft Set 49
Tamiya Aluminum Front Upright Set M03/M04

As for the sloppyness in the steering. I think that is something you have to live with. I am not sure if something is made or something that can be done.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 11-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
After assembling my new kit yesterday, I'm pretty disappointed with the steering linkage on this kit. Slop on the inside, pinched ball ends on the outside, not a very clean setup for racing in my opinion. For TCS rules, what are you guys using to replace the stock setup (part numbers, too, please, I'm not Tamiya parts savvy).
Thanks!
doug
Haven't raced TCS yet, but all they guys I race with either have replaced the stock screw and eyelet setup for ball studs and sockets or as I've done just shim the gap in the screws. Don't know the TCS subtleties but Tamiya sells ball studs/sockets and shims so I'm sure it's legal. Major slop also in the wheels that I had to shim out - Tamiya has a 5mm shim set with 0.1-0.3mm shims that worked great on the wheels.

My car was drifting all over the place with the stearing and wheel gaps but once they were shimed it tracks great.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mild seven
The M-03 does not use 48 pitch it uses 32 pitch. coz i use aftermarket 32 pitch pinions.
You must have a different kit then my 3 kits all of mine are 48metric .
Old 11-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaceBucks
Haven't raced TCS yet, but all they guys I race with either have replaced the stock screw and eyelet setup for ball studs and sockets or as I've done just shim the gap in the screws. Don't know the TCS subtleties but Tamiya sells ball studs/sockets and shims so I'm sure it's legal. Major slop also in the wheels that I had to shim out - Tamiya has a 5mm shim set with 0.1-0.3mm shims that worked great on the wheels.

My car was drifting all over the place with the stearing and wheel gaps but once they were shimed it tracks great.

Jeff
i dont think TCS rules allow for the turnbuckle type upper links, but i could be wrong... i used some nice aluminum uppers made by Eagle racing, you can get them in different lengths, but indoubtedly not TCS-able. the shims are no biggie, im sure... the rules should be on the website.

someone posted the idea of using ca to take up the slack in the links... worked for me in the past.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbonium
i dont think TCS rules allow for the turnbuckle type upper links, but i could be wrong... i used some nice aluminum uppers made by Eagle racing, you can get them in different lengths, but indoubtedly not TCS-able.
I can't see why they wouldn't be legal, as long as they were Tamiya Hop-Up parts, and not some other brand. Tamiya makes a titanium turnbuckle to fit the steering linkages. They are 3 x 32mm; part number is 53527. They fit both M03/M04. I haven't found anything in the rules stating that these are illgeal, or that any steering upgrades with Tamiya parts are not allowed. If anyone knows for a fact where this would be stated as not legal, please do let me know. While not racing TCS races, our local track is running these rules, and I don't want to open a flood gate for everyone else to use loopholes in the rules to let the class get out of hand.

Also:
Wheel shims: Tamiya 53587 5mm Shim Set (10 pieces)
Old 11-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

5. Any Tamiya Hop-Op Option and spare part is allowed as long as it is used in the way it was designed, and on the vehicle it was designed for. Except for the GT1 class, it is strictly forbidden to cut, mill or lighten the chassis. It is strictly forbidden to re-engineer or modify the cars in any way other than with Tamiya Hop-Ups. (This applies to all classes)
i think it refers to the "designed for". if i remember right, the packages have to list the chassis it is being used on.

im not sure myself, really... would be best to email TamiyaUSA and verify.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Yup, Ti turnbuckles are legal, it's listed in the upgrades for the M-04, at least, no different than the M-03..
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...ion=&offset=31
Old 11-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Thanks!
doug
From the TCS Rules website:

14. The use of thin shims (available at most hobby stores and now made available by Tamiya) to space out the slop or play in suspension arms, steering bell-cranks and wheel axles is now permitted in all vehicles except in the spec class. (New as of 2003 season). Shimming the aforementioned components of the car in a way that alters the geometry of the car or its basic geometry design is not legal.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Right, but what does that have to do with replacing steering linkage? I think we all agree that shims are legal to remove slop and poor tolerance design.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Some people solve the linkage slop in Tamiya cars by replacing the balls and connectors with the 6mm type from the TG10..

I just replaced them with low friction adjusters, put in a real servo saver instead of the plastic POS they give you as well as aluminum knuckles and I don't have problems at all.. I also put a rubber O-ring at the base of each ball.. tightens the cups so they can't drift around, but the high-torque servo and low friction connectors override the extra friction and move the wheels quickly enough for me..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.