Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is BLEURGHHHH! a word?

Cos thats what they are.....I burned mine in the fireplace. True!
Tony you really think they are that bad. I used them tonight at Windsor on the front with a very firm insert and they worked really well.

Mine are not destined for the fireplace.

As usual they might work at this track, but not others.

CYA

Calvin.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'll go out on a limb here Cal and say that they were easily the WORST tires I've ever used...

Tried them at Boronia, TFTR, and Keilor - AWFUL at every track.

Let Tim drive my car - 'WTF are these things, DRIFT tyres or something?'

In summation - Life is too short to ever run Super Slicks.....(especially when there are Powers 36's freely available)
Old 10-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default Mini Tyres

Tony my super slicks are from the original old batch of tyres, not sure if the latest ones are different. I also used them at Whalan on Sunday where they did what was asked and caused no handling problems.

I still perefer the Rides up front and spices rear, but that is what works at Whalan and rides and Pits at Windsor.

As you say, selecting the correct tyres on a Mini are crucial. I have found them to be the only setup change I make to my car. I have also found the firmer the insert on the front the better the car handles.

BTW,

What size inserts are you using on your Powers 36's. I found using the 4.5mm insert, the tyre is to soft and the car tips over especially if these are used on the front. The 5.5 medium insert seems to be better, however I am still experimenting with these. The Ride 3035's with a green firm insert or orange medium insert work very well on a hot day.

CYA

Calvin

Last edited by caltek1; 10-31-2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: xtra text
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The Tamiya slicks aren't that bad, under the right conditions.

If you're racing indoor on carpet, like those of us here in the Great White North, they've got more traction than you'll ever need.

If you're racing outdoors on asphalt, like most of the rest of the mini world, then they choke, badly.

Of course, availability is another big factor. We can't get anything but Tamiya tires here, and most clubs run spec tires.

Now, which would be the best slicks to get? The 55D Super Slicks have a nice, low sidewall. They provide good traction, with almost no traction rolling.

Jim
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
BTW,

What size inserts are you using on your Powers 36's. I found using the 4.5mm insert, the tyre is to soft and the car tips over especially if these are used on the front. The 5.5 medium insert seems to be better, however I am still experimenting with these. The Ride 3035's with a green firm insert or orange medium insert work very well on a hot day.

Calvin
You should know me better than that Cal.. You think I know what inserts are in my tyres? Whatever they came with in the pack (I'm lazy, I buy pre-mounts)...
Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

You should know me better than that Cal.. You think I know what inserts are in my tyres? Whatever they came with in the pack (I'm lazy, I buy pre-mounts)...
I hadn't thought of that... saves sticking your fingerprints all over the tyres...

monkeyracing,

I have only used the superslicks on asphelt/bitumen tracks. The firm insert seems to give the tyre better handling characteristics. My thoughts only. Car was stable. Consistancy 0.25 and 0.38 when used at Whalan.

Calvin
Old 10-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Lol what pre-mounts you running?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jim...I gotta disagree with you

I have never been able to get the Super Slicks working for me on any surface. I've tried soft/med/firm/NO inserts and I just can't get those suckers to stick! If you've been able to make them work I'd be interested in the details

I finally received the Ride tires that I ordered after reading about them on Tony's site and they seem to work really well on carpet. Last Friday I finally destroyed my M-Grip's on the front (insert wadded up inside...tires still had several evenings of use left) and as an experiment I put the Ride medium tires with Ride Medium molded inserts on the front and turned my fastest lap (second fastest overall) of the night in the Main!

I'll be using the Ride's all around on Sunday night so you can have a look-see if you're interested!

Cheers,
Mike

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The Tamiya slicks aren't that bad, under the right conditions.

If you're racing indoor on carpet, like those of us here in the Great White North, they've got more traction than you'll ever need.

If you're racing outdoors on asphalt, like most of the rest of the mini world, then they choke, badly.

Of course, availability is another big factor. We can't get anything but Tamiya tires here, and most clubs run spec tires.

Now, which would be the best slicks to get? The 55D Super Slicks have a nice, low sidewall. They provide good traction, with almost no traction rolling.

Jim
Old 11-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Tamiya tire help

Tower lists 5 different tires to fit the M class. I would like to know which are good and which not so got for

1. Outdoor bashing asphalt parking lot. looking for longler life over traction.

2. Indoor carpet spec. racing. traction is king but still nice to have a semi decent tire life.

The tires are

#53215- slicks

#53222- Super Slicks

#53254- Treaded S-grip (I think this is the oe tire in Swift kit)

#53340- 60D Type A Reinforced Slick (is this the M-grip tire?)

#50568- Treaded tire (I think this is oe tire for old Mini kit)
Old 11-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Outdoors run:

60Ds A slicks 53340 all around or with a S-Grips up front.....these are not the kit tires...they are much softer

On carpet:

We like to run either the S-Grips (53254) or M-Grips (50684) with the outer sidewall glued with CA to prevent roll overs and most of the time we run the Type A slick (53340) out back. I almost always use the (53255) hard foam inserts front and rear.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just bought a m03R, need some advice from expert mchasis users...

just wondering about its plastic chrome chasis and transparent shocks... is it safe to race using those?

is it legal to change the stock gear into speed tune gear?

tia...
Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bam_cruz
just bought a m03R, need some advice from expert mchasis users...

just wondering about its plastic chrome chasis and transparent shocks... is it safe to race using those?

is it legal to change the stock gear into speed tune gear?

tia...
Change the shocks - they are fragile. Either the Mini C.V.A Shocks or the TRF Mini ones are the go.

Forget about the speed tuned gear - its crap. Very fragile and illegal under every set of rules of ever seen.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Pics of my newly painted Rover shell. Messed up a bit on the grill/white top masking though.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-dsc04432.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-dsc04440.jpg  
Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Outdoors run:

60Ds A slicks 53340 all around or with a S-Grips up front.....these are not the kit tires...they are much softer

On carpet:

We like to run either the S-Grips (53254) or M-Grips (50684) with the outer sidewall glued with CA to prevent roll overs and most of the time we run the Type A slick (53340) out back. I almost always use the (53255) hard foam inserts front and rear.
please can show pictur of ca tyre wall.....i still don get it...

picture say a thousand words....thanks in advance..
Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys/gals,

For HPI X pattern, do you guys use the belted or un-belted ones? Any moulded inserts will fit correct? Any comments on those, in terms of grip and durability? These look like my only LHS option right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.