Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tony gray
Touring Car tyres on Minis? OK for mucking around, but it stuffs up the suspension geometry big time and the car handles like crap....

I just got done trying a run with the wheels & slicks from my TT-01R chassis... the handling on the Mini was actually pretty good. It could probably be made a little better with some suspension tweaking.

I'm still not sure if I want to take the scissors to the body and cut the fenders bigger.... although that would be a nice excuse to buy another body to use with the Mini wheels.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Team Ash
A mate of mine had a mini with TB02? susp arms, touring car wheels run by 5.5 brushless. Handled great went like a bullet. Downside was after a while gears sort of wore out.
We won't be going brushless... so I don't think my friends and I are gonna tear up any gears. For our own little (6 racers) spec Mini series, we are all using Trinity CO27 motors.

The jury is still hung on deciding on which wheels to use.... Mini or Touring. I want to stick with Mini.... but I am slowing getting outnumbered by the guys that want to use the bigger wheels. They like how the Mini looks with the big chrome Dubs.

Last edited by ScionBox; 12-11-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScionBox
We won't be going brushless... so I don't think my friends and I are gonna tear up any gears. For our own little (6 racers) spec Mini series, we are all using Trinity CO27 motors.

The jury is still hung on deciding on which wheels to use.... Mini or Touring. I want to stick with Mini.... but I am slowing getting outnumbered by the guys that want to use the bigger wheels. They like how the car looks with the big chrome Dubs.
Dosent matter if you go brushless or not. The bigger tires tear up the gears in the gearbox,The FF02 had huge problems with normal touring tires and isnt with us today as most people figured out this pretty fast.
You can let your friends try them and you can run the small tires,getting the car closer to the ground helps more than the big tires.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by over gear
Tamiya 49483 Mini Cooper Racing Lightweight Body

does anyone know which mini body it is?
It is the same Mini Cooper racing that comes in the Kit,but it is thinner.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
It is the same Mini Cooper racing that comes in the Kit,but it is thinner.
the original classic mini? or the new mini M03L ?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

The jury is still hung on deciding on which wheels to use.... Mini or Touring. I want to stick with Mini.... but I am slowing getting outnumbered by the guys that want to use the bigger wheels. They like how the Mini looks with the big chrome Dubs.
We have been using the 1/10 tires for the past 2 years in our national races as we found the rollout with the 1/10 are better than the mini tires as too much wheel spin on a 20 tooth pinion.We run the sport tune 540 and if you would be using the 27 turn I would stongly suggest the 1/10 tires...Its more fun when you see them traction rolling because of the hight and its a challenge to get the right set up...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Questions from a Mini newbie:

My friends and I have started our own small Mini basher racing series, and we were thinking about running regular touring car size wheels & HPI X-patterns since they are readily available at the local hobby shops in our area. Tamiya stuff is scarce around here.

Are there any pros & cons of running touring car size wheels & tires on the Mini??? (Other than having to cut out the fenders a little more.)

Should we change out the pinion?

One of our racers said we should run HPI 31mm Vintage wheels & tires... I say no... they may be a little too wide and affect performance badly.

Thanks!
Our local club let us run endurance with these HPI X-Patterns and it works great. Just use the HPI upfront and any old rubber tires on the rear.

Max pinion size allow to use is 20T.

BTW, we run on big outdoor asphalt track.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by -KilleR-
Our local club let us run endurance with these HPI X-Patterns and it works great. Just use the HPI upfront and any old rubber tires on the rear.

Max pinion size allow to use is 20T.

BTW, we run on big outdoor asphalt track.
Thanks for your input everybody!

Well, the other drivers and I had a little conference call and decided to go with the touring size wheels & HPI X-Patterns since that is what the local hobby shops around here have the most of. We also decided that we will all use HPI's stock car wheels as a spec wheel...

...and the Tamiya factory ESC in the kit, along with basic Futaba radio gear just to keep everybody on the same playing field.

We want to see who the best driver of the bunch is.

I will try to get some racing & car pics over the weekend for you guys and post 'em up here for ya if you're interested.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Takt
Speaking of tires.

I ran some "older" tires over the weekend and really liked the way they handled. I then put on brand new tires, and my car pushed like a dump truck. Is this normal? Do they have to break in before they start working? Is there a way to quicken the breakin process?

Thanks
Someting odd about the Mini tires is that the new ones do not work as well as the old ones.

I tend to just run in the tires for practice before actual race.

Btw, has anyone tried S-Grip front & rear with sof tamiya inserts for carpet? I've just tried those and it works quite well.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by over gear
the original classic mini? or the new mini M03L ?
Classic, the Mini Cooper Racing in the First M03,not to be confused with any of the other Mini`s out there. 58211 is the kit number i am talking about.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

We also decided that we will all use HPI's stock car wheels as a spec wheel...
Before you get TOO invested in this idea, has anyone in your group actually tried to mount the tire you're proposing to use on (either) one of the wheels you've shown? Those wheels are from HPI's "Vintage" line and don't have a "proper" front side flange to accept normal tire beads. They have a very skinny flange that the bead/sidewall of the Vintage tires "pinches" with the sidewall lapping over to give them a taller "old school" sidewall look.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

ya know- I am using GRP 28.35mm foams on my Mini Rover and I like them! More straight away speed and it corners ok too- I am using 20t pinion. Had to do a bit of body mods to get tires to fit in wheel wells.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Classic, the Mini Cooper Racing in the First M03,not to be confused with any of the other Mini`s out there. 58211 is the kit number i am talking about.
thanks for the reply. can't wait to get one...
Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Who sell hex screw kit for M03? the stock philips head is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.