Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tim K
Yes, the Swift seems very popular, but why are so many people running it?

Has anybody tested the M03M Swift combo to see if it is faster? Or is everybody running it because it happens to be the latest kit?

I run the new suspension components because they are stronger than the old plastic knuckles, and lighter than the alloy knuckles.

I'm not really a fan of the Swift body though, seems a bit too tall for me, and the mini wheels don't really fill out the guards, just seems out of proportion … doesn't have the classic mini look about it either

What are everyone elses thoughts? Maybe we need a vote? Classic Mini or Swift body?
I'm a classic mini lover too. Though I have to admit that I also like the Swift. I've always been a fan of the "Hot Hatch".
Old 03-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

At a recent race in Omaha I ran the 210mm wheelbase (Cooper) and the 225mm wheelbase (Swift) back to back and the Cooper SWB base was hands down faster. It rotated faster and felt much more nimble. The 225MM wheelbase was smoother but number. I will be running the 210 SWB the rest of the year!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default most excellent!!!!

Originally Posted by minimanintaiwan
I like the SWB minis but the swift kits the best for value and I guess if the body is there then use it. Here's my monster mini again with matcing yellow Spice 5 spoke rims..

That thing is super cooool !!! Just wish I could find them here in Canada !!!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Champion

Exactly..buy a Swift and sell the body,then pick up a Cooper body...then your set! You'll have all the updated suspension and the included bearings!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If anyone follows this advice and has a Swift body to sell, please let me know.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

why does my m03m make like a grinding noise when turning left & right and when for example if i turn right the left wheel will spin but not as much as the right and same with turning left?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
why does my m03m make like a grinding noise when turning left & right and when for example if i turn right the left wheel will spin but not as much as the right and same with turning left?
Sounds like your differential. Are you using the gear diff or ball diff?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
I'm a classic mini lover too. Though I have to admit that I also like the Swift. I've always been a fan of the "Hot Hatch".
now if they would only make a body of the original hot hatch here in the US... VW Gti. that would be cool...

i have run all 3, and prefer the short as well. the only thing i like about the Swift and BMW Coop is that they will sit down over the tires. seems like the old skool Rover has to sit up higher to not rub the tires.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbonium
now if they would only make a body of the original hot hatch here in the US... VW Gti. that would be cool...

i have run all 3, and prefer the short as well. the only thing i like about the Swift and BMW Coop is that they will sit down over the tires. seems like the old skool Rover has to sit up higher to not rub the tires.
They used to make a VW Golf VR6.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's probably your gear diff.. it's likely lubed with the regular grease, allowed to spin freely whenever a wheel lifts, thus making the grinding noise. Try shimming it until it's a lot harder to move, or pack the gears with super-heavy Diff Grease or Tamiya AW grease. This will cut down on the free-spinning, putting more power into the tire that's on the ground.

Do you have a front sway bar? It helps keep the wheels level and on the ground.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

HPI made a Golf for the mini. Tamiya made a GTI VR6 but it was a full size sedan with FWD...Mine is still with me

I just dremel off a lot of the wheel flares on the Cooper so I can slam the body down.
They used to make a VW Golf VR6.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Sounds like your differential. Are you using the gear diff or ball diff?
im using gear diff.. do you know how to solve it? and what if i make my gear diff a spool by injection a glue stick in it? do you think it will solve my problem? what are the effects of spool in m03m?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
im using gear diff.. do you know how to solve it? and what if i make my gear diff a spool by injection a glue stick in it? do you think it will solve my problem? what are the effects of spool in m03m?
Jam-ehz gave you some good advice on fixing your diff...if you're racing using any form of TCS rules then locking the diff would be illegal and I have no experience with it.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Jam-ehz gave you some good advice on fixing your diff...if you're racing using any form of TCS rules then locking the diff would be illegal and I have no experience with it.
its just a club race. anybody tried running spool in m03m? what is the effect?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
HPI made a Golf for the mini. Tamiya made a GTIVR6 but it was a full size sedan with FWD...Mine is still with me

I just dremel off a lot of the wheel flares on the Cooper so I can slam the body down.
yup... got all those! well, almost. i have 3 of the mini HPI Golf, and 4 of the Polo, and 2 of the HPI Beetle, as well... plus 3 of the sedan sized 1996 style 4-dr GTI. i am officially ate-up with it. all i am looking for still is the sedan sized GTI from about 2000, and the Kombi bus that HPI made for the Mini...

Wes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.