Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by minimanintaiwan
#53200 Tamiya 4WD Front One-Way Differential Unit. Is this it? What do you use it with. gear diff, ball diff or stand alone? It does say, used with TA03 chassis so maybe if you're running a TA03 ball diff in your mini you can use this as well. Maybe a loophole the judges in Canda allowed.
Ahhh...but the rules also state "If a driver finds a loophole within the rules, that exploitation will be deemed illegal."
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Ahhh...but the rules also state "If a driver finds a loophole within the rules, that exploitation will be deemed illegal."
The use of this for TCS Nationals came up a couple years ago. Fred Medel of Tamiya USA posted somewhere here on RCtech at the time that it was DEFINITELY NOT LEGAL to run a one way in a mini. It is one of the things mini is supposed to be teched for - a working differential (no locked spools, no one ways). Don't waste your money if you are planning to run the mini in a TCS race.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default You want it!!!

Originally Posted by slotcarrod
Thanks for the # but if it's not legal, I don't want it.

Oh I think you want it ..........
Old 02-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

so then why is the TA03 ball diff legal? it wasn't intended for use on the mini right?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Because Fred says so. One-way is illegal in US TCS races, period. Same thing with a locked diff (spool). Gotta have some true diff action. Canada may be different.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
It's there..part #53070...about 1/2 way down the page. I'd still like to know where the confusion is on the 1-way. Everyone says it's not legal but Bikerbod did say they verified that it was legal. Sounds like it needs RE-verified.
yea, i went back and looked, and edited my post! didnt see it the first time through.

the TA03 is listed as a hopup, but the oneway is not, therefore it should not be legal.

i know some of the rules are left up to the discretion of the club running the various races, and some let a few small items slip by, but this seems like a biggie to me! never ran with a oneway in the mini tho....
Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Because Fred says so. One-way is illegal in US TCS races, period. Same thing with a locked diff (spool). Gotta have some true diff action. Canada may be different.

OK, here is what I know.. I know because I have been told.

The track I race at is hosting the 1st TCS race in Canada this Saturday.

The owner of the track runs a M03-M with a 1 way in it.. Tamiya.. no idea the part # etc..

We run our points series TCS legal - We all bitched that he was running the one-way.. He checked with Tamiya Canada - YES the one-way is LEGAL.

This saturday he will be running his M03-M in the Mini class with a one-way in it.. unless Tamiya Canada backtracks.

HEY - I would not complain at all.. He is whooping the club racing by a full lap and a half.. and I think that has something to do with his ability to drive the one-way well.

I dont - have not tried it.. but I have been told by someone who WOULD KNOW.. that it has been declared legal by Tamiya Canada.

James
Old 02-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TENCHO
so then why is the TA03 ball diff legal? it wasn't intended for use on the mini right?
The TA03 Ball Diff wasn't "originally" intended for the Mini but since the TA03 is no longer made and it worked in the Mini then I'm sure they just kept making them for that but never changed the part number or name since people might also still look for it for their older TA03s (same with the Manta Ray Ball Diff). No reason to create a completely new part when one is already available. Just look around Tamiya's catalog and you'll see lots of part interchangability. One of the reasons I like Tamiya. Though the parts have to be listed as a compatible hop-up in order for them to be TCS legal. Just because a part "fits" or can be made to "fit" doesn't necessarily make it legal.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bikerbob

The owner of the track runs a M03-M with a 1 way in it.. Tamiya.. no idea the part # etc..

We run our points series TCS legal - We all bitched that he was running the one-way.. He checked with Tamiya Canada - YES the one-way is LEGAL.

This saturday he will be running his M03-M in the Mini class with a one-way in it.. unless Tamiya Canada backtracks.

HEY - I would not complain at all.. He is whooping the club racing by a full lap and a half.. and I think that has something to do with his ability to drive the one-way well.

I dont - have not tried it.. but I have been told by someone who WOULD KNOW.. that it has been declared legal by Tamiya Canada.

James
Like I said before...not sure why Tamiya Canada would be that much different from Tamiya everywhere else where the 1-way ISN'T legal. You'll also notice that HE is running it and HE checked. YOU might want to check.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

Whooa.. getting heated here. Can we agree to disagree?

Anyways I had a question a few posts back but got lost in the legal or not legal fury. So is #53200 the part in question and can be used in the mini?

Fastcats rule.. Oh Canada!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bikerbob

James
Here's some contact information for Tamiya Canada TCS Rules....
[email protected]
905-946-9677
Found the contacts at the bottom of the Canada Rules page.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by minimanintaiwan
Whooa.. getting heated here. Can we agree to disagree?

Anyways I had a question a few posts back but got lost in the legal or not legal fury. So is #53200 the part in question and can be used in the mini?

Fastcats rule.. Oh Canada!
That's what the discussion is about...that 1-way and every other 1-way is illegal to use in the U.S. and Overseas for Mini. According to Bikerbob it's legal in Canada which makes no sense.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

This subject comes up every year. Tamiya Canada does allow the one-way. However Tom does make the point that if you win here in Canada you better get used to driving without it when you go to California.
2005 & 2006 winner (Jerry Mann) and 2006 runner-up Sonny Lee did not use one-way's
BTW John used a diff at the Novak race and finished 6th (I think) in the A-Main He's fast either way
Old 02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

I should also add that in Canada we also have the following rule:
"3. Kit type closed-end bell, silver can motor only. Motors must not perform better that a 1.3amp draw at 2volts on a Peak or Orion Motor Performance Monitor. Motors will be checked throughout the race day. This is being done to tighten up the racing and encourage new racers to join this low cost type of racing!"

I was at the TCS finals in 2005 in California and it would be interseting to apply this rule to some of those Minis
Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Diff question?????

Ok.....so back to my original question awhile back......being a rookie......how do the officials tech the diff's??? Do they hold a wheel and check if there's any action in the diff??? If you can pretty much lock the diff with shims, blue tack, tar or whatever else a guy can find.....why would people want to run a one way in the first place??? Wouldn't it save the large gray area debate for the Tamiya officials to simply state....diffs must be run box original with Tamiya lube???? JMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.