Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragonracing
you could change the internal gears for the high speed set https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=1591

im doing this for the summer season and i doubt ill run the tcs race locally since i will have non tamiya internals (unless i dont say squat and gear it so its even) i ran the car with a 25.5 (local scale spec rules) and it sucked bad. super slow. ive since changed to a 21.5 and its better. unfortunately my gear set wont arrive till saturday and i need them for this saturday.
hopefully RIDE fixed their tolerance issues with these gears.. I remember reading about people having a TON of issues with these gears in their cars

you're better off trying the gearing trick, then throwing these gears in your car - and definitely no reason to cheat at a TCS event, that's just lame
Old 04-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Since a Mini has fixed gearing, RPM is King. The differences between the two types is generally in the rotor. In many instances you can convert a hi-torque motor to a hi-rev motor just by swapping out the rotor.

For the Killshot, go with the RPM version. They are competitive.
Thanks once again for the info Granpa
Thats what that little voice was indeed telling me, but just wanted to be sure
Mike
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

does anyone know what turn the stock MO-5 mini cooper motor is and i need some tips on how to get more speed with that motor i can do 20 laps on a 1/12 pan car carpet track
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
hopefully RIDE fixed their tolerance issues with these gears.. I remember reading about people having a TON of issues with these gears in their cars

you're better off trying the gearing trick, then throwing these gears in your car - and definitely no reason to cheat at a TCS event, that's just lame
i was being sarcastic. i would not cheat at a tcs race. i would change the gears if i planned on racing the local race. ill check the gears carefully and look at the clearances on them.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by minirevo
does anyone know what turn the stock MO-5 mini cooper motor is and i need some tips on how to get more speed with that motor i can do 20 laps on a 1/12 pan car carpet track
There's a thread in this Forum-----Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks that has loads of info. Start with the more recent posts and work backwards till you've learned all you need to know.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's an interesting tid bit about tuning a 540

http://www.rccartips.com/540-silvercan-motor-tuning.htm
Old 04-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow got my new rrp pinion installed and all my gears are in one peice.
I am surprised which has me thinking is the stock one not made correctly?
Old 04-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Schs2013
Wow got my new rrp pinion installed and all my gears are in one peice.
I am surprised which has me thinking is the stock one not made correctly?
Stock one is made correctly, I use it myself, however they are made of a soft alloy and will wear quicker than others on the market.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone know where to get decal for mini cooper? I see #1425386 out of stock on tamiyausa and for $25+ on ebay which is never going to happen...

I just want the headlights and tail lights really... I've scanned them and could in theory make my own but would rather buy them.

(I did the window masks from a previous scan using Tamiya masking sheets and the awesome silhouette Cameo)
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by torg
Anyone know where to get decal for mini cooper? I see #1425386 out of stock on tamiyausa and for $25+ on ebay which is never going to happen...

I just want the headlights and tail lights really... I've scanned them and could in theory make my own but would rather buy them.

(I did the window masks from a previous scan using Tamiya masking sheets and the awesome silhouette Cameo)
If you're referring to the old Rover Mini Cooper shell, I have a sheet that has the tail lights and the head lights. I'll put them in my stuff and take it to the track Saturday. No charge.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
If you're referring to the old Rover Mini Cooper shell, I have a sheet that has the tail lights and the head lights. I'll put them in my stuff and take it to the track Saturday. No charge.
yes, it's for the old rover mini cooper. That's very generous of you, thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am looking for some information on timing for a Killshot 21.5rpm motor. How much timing is everyone running? I see that it can go up to 70 degrees but was told by another person at my local track not to go above 55 degrees. Is this true? My temps after a 8 min main are only at 108 degrees. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Texas.john
I am looking for some information on timing for a Killshot 21.5rpm motor. How much timing is everyone running? I see that it can go up to 70 degrees but was told by another person at my local track not to go above 55 degrees. Is this true? My temps after a 8 min main are only at 108 degrees. Any help would be much appreciated.
You can usually advance it all the way----depending on outside temps and whether you are using a fan. Some motors you cannot, but the killshot you can.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Texas.john
Did the person that said 55 have a mini? I was told the same "by the internet" after I shared my poofed killshot. That was in my GT3 car where gearing is not fixed like in mini.

I was also told that the Reedy Sonic Mach2 was a good motor by someone at the track. Later found out from someone else that it was not good for mini, but for touring car. And my friend Kaji puffed that motor (and ESC), but he had a weaker fan and no motor plate in his M05.

My point is, when getting motor/timing info, make sure you're getting class/chassis at the same time. Might be obvious for everyone here, but it was news to me until 2 weekends ago.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Last weekend i ran a turnigy trackstar 21.5 in my sons mini and it never broke 100 degrees. ambient was 75`. this was on high traction carpet. full timing about 40` ran for 6 min quals and mains. no metal motor plate either. and had it geared to the moon with the ride gear set and the largest pinion i had on hand 22 tooth pinion. not insane speed but pretty decent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.