Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverbmr
what you do is stick the fiber tape at the lower parts of the shell, wheel arches or where you usually get crack and then coat it with 2 light layers of shoegoo and then let it dry overnight. hth
It did
Thanks Silver!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Very noobie question.
Are M03 gears the same as the M05 gears?
Stripped something in my M05 last night, just havent taken it apart yet.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yes. The newer black gears have minor clearance issues in the M03, but they are org wise identical.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Smile

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Yes. The newer black gears have minor clearance issues in the M03, but they are org wise identical.
Thanks monkeyracing.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nvm found it .

Jason
Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Ok so today I got a full pack run in on the mini without breaking anything . The car was quick but was lagging out of the corners. The handling has also gone to the dogs and needs to be re-tuned as expected.

Thanks to fellow mini driver here locally he reminded me about G-pa pointing out I was running really soft oil in the shocks compared to others so that is going to be my first step. The car seems to be transferring weight way too rapidly all around. Next will be softer sway bar after a few laps to see how the shock oil change feels.

Jason

Last edited by fresnojay; 02-09-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Think I could have found a contributing factor to my new handling issues. During my shock rebuild I was checking my tires and found one of the front tires (TCS Spec) had a good quarter of the sponge gone and appears to have shifted. Anyone else have this issue and is there a darn thing you can do to fix it? Hate to ditch half a set of these tires.

Jason
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fresnojay
Think I could have found a contributing factor to my new handling issues. During my shock rebuild I was checking my tires and found one of the front tires (TCS Spec) had a good quarter of the sponge gone and appears to have shifted. Anyone else have this issue and is there a darn thing you can do to fix it? Hate to ditch half a set of these tires.

Jason
What's happening is that the insert ends aren't glued on the #1016. The ends separate and you wind up with what feels like a hole or soft spot on the tire. Tamiya is also selling #84323 which is identical to the #1016, except it is mounted on the black rim instead of the grey Spec rim. I think the ends are glued on these cause they don't develop the "hole". #84323 is not legal for TCS racing, but it's superior in the assembly or "glueing". It usually doesn't make a huge difference in the handling, so if your car is way off, that's not the only problem. Also, it usually takes a while to develop, so the tires are often "over the hill" by then.

There is a way to fix that problem if the tires are still good enough to warrant the effort. Cut the tire on the inside, adjust the insert, and then reglue the tire. It will no longer be a legal tire, but it's better than chucking it out. If you cut completely around, you should be able to remove the insert, glue the ends, and then reinsert the insert.

Just a heads up on tires. There's been some "talk" of a tire impound. Tires will not leave Tech and will be mounted in tech before your race, then dismounted and turned in in tech. If you want to cyano your tires, this is done in tech. Apparently, this is seriously being considered, and that's all I know. Whether this will apply for Regionals is beyond my knowledge.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa

Just a heads up on tires. There's been some "talk" of a tire impound. Tires will not leave Tech and will be mounted in tech before your race, then dismounted and turned in in tech. If you want to cyano your tires, this is done in tech. Apparently, this is seriously being considered, and that's all I know. Whether this will apply for Regionals is beyond my knowledge.
It's never going to work, particularly if they adopt the rule of no warm up laps all a Japan.

Doing it on virgin-never-seen-sauce-carpet is one thing. Trying to run at TA on a seal coated track is going to really be horrible, particularly in the GT classes. Of you can't get the build up off the tire from the past session before the next session, it'll be downright undrivable.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

Well I finally made up a setup sheet that I am totally willing to share but RCtech only allows PDF files half the size of the setup sheet . Took me a while to get this together in hopes of putting it out there for tips or ideas just to not be able to post it.

Grandpa, Thanks and I will probably just shelve the set for now. as I do still have 1 more set of fronts that are good to go. The impound rule sounds like it could add just one more fun step .

Jason
Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 AM
Tech Adept

I couldn't beleive how different my M05 felt last friday after purchasing a decent radio. I've switched from a Core Code to a Sanwa Gemini X and it feels so much more smoother and predictable. And to think I was blaming the twitchyness all on the M05 chassis!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Boons, I had been racing on a FlySky up until last weekend when I picked up a MT-4. All I can say is both my TC and mini felt worlds different. MUCH more precise on the MT-4.

Jason
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa

I heard the same thing
The rumor I heard was it was just going to be for the Nats out in Cali and the Finals in Japan, I really hope that it doesn't reach the regional level
Those days can be long as it is and something like this could really make a
long day even longer
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

Ok so finally got a decent shot of my setup sheet so I can post it. This is how my mini is set currently. Changes made were switch from 22.5wt shock oil to 40wt, and front springs from black/red to black/yellow.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-current-m05-setup.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Hi,

need help with a set up on my m05 when racing on asphalt. problem is when the car is half into a turn or coming out of a turn, the rear end would loose control and drift out.

my current set up is:

medium wheelbase
s grips all around
currently using kit dampers but will upgrade later on to TRF dampers
applied gripper "juice" on all tires

any tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.