Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Yes, but what about the vacuum cleaner that appears to be coming out of the roof?
Fix the stalk through the window and your mini can double as a portable vac. You can tell your wife you're doing housework when you work on the car.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Questions?? M06 parts question

I have been running a second hand M06 pro in our local mini class. I broke my first steering arm last night where the lower kingpin screws in. Consequently, the king pin was lost. As near as I can tell the replacement to get is Tamiya 50882 TA04 Kingpin Set. I found several places to order one.

However, I was wondering if there is a substitute in case the next time I need to order that part, it is not available?

Or, as Tamiya is prone to do, a part is discontinued and you have to dig up the replacement part number before you can order.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bencason
I have been running a second hand M06 pro in our local mini class. I broke my first steering arm last night where the lower kingpin screws in. Consequently, the king pin was lost. As near as I can tell the replacement to get is Tamiya 50882 TA04 Kingpin Set. I found several places to order one.

However, I was wondering if there is a substitute in case the next time I need to order that part, it is not available?

Or, as Tamiya is prone to do, a part is discontinued and you have to dig up the replacement part number before you can order.
Did you check towerhobbies? They most likely have m06 part bags
Old 07-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hyde
Did you check towerhobbies? They most likely have m06 part bags
Yes, I found the TA04 part at several places such as Tower and TQ. I ordered several sets.

I am just trying to find out if there is another part that can be a substitute when the TA04 kingpins are unavailable for some reason or discontinued.

Does anyone know if there is a substitute for the TA04 kingpins?

Edit: Can the Tamiya 54237 M05 Low Friction King Pin replace a TA04 kingpin?

Last edited by bencason; 07-14-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: additional question after some research on Tamiya.com
Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

The M03R king pins look very similar
Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

The M03R king pins look very similar
Those look like they would be worth a try. I added them to my list of parts that might be useful. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Are the m chassis aluminum dampers 54000 a worthwhile upgrade from my cva super mini shocks 50746?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2hundy
Are the m chassis aluminum dampers 54000 a worthwhile upgrade from my cva super mini shocks 50746?
Yes. For a start you can adjust the ride height easier and they will be a smoother action too. Personally though, I use #42102, they are the TC TRF's as then they can be used on my FF03 if needed. They will do the same job as #54000.

HTH
Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MonkeyNuts
Yes. For a start you can adjust the ride height easier and they will be a smoother action too. Personally though, I use #42102, they are the TC TRF's as then they can be used on my FF03 if needed. They will do the same job as #54000.
HTH
Do the TC TRF 42102 dampers have a longer body than the 54000?

Both parts cost about the same, +/- $5
Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonkeyNuts

HTH
TC dampers for a mini? He can get TRF mini dampers for I believe $45.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey guys, I'm wondering what effect a rear sway bar will have on the front of a M03. I've noticed that changes to the rear of an M chassis seem to have a greater than expected influence on the front. What I'm wondering about specifically is the "diagonal roll" when the car is cornering hard. This is what I'd call it when the inside front unweights under acceleration. I know the overall tendency to roll along the entire chassis plays a part as well, but I'm trying to break this into manageable chunks.

Will a sway bar on the rear help keep the inside front planted in a turn? If going to a rear sway bar, would going a notch lighter on the rear springs help correct any added twitchiness created?

Current setup, which is working pretty well is short blue springs on all 4 corners, 35wt oil in dampers that measure 54mm, pre-mount S-grips all around. There is a little rear end hop during faster corners and sweepers .Straight speed is amazing. Out of corners it dogs a little.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

I had the softest rear sway bar in my M03 on carpet, and the Car kept sliding at every turn eventhough I had type A slick Tires in the rear... I removed the swaybar, and the rear stayed planted. I use red springs, 80wt oil all around... I also had a swaybar on the front, and it made the front too stiff, so I took it Off... The M03 seem to Work well without any swaybar, but I did limit the droop with spacers inside the shocks...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Hey guys, I'm wondering what effect a rear sway bar will have on the front of a M03. I've noticed that changes to the rear of an M chassis seem to have a greater than expected influence on the front. What I'm wondering about specifically is the "diagonal roll" when the car is cornering hard. This is what I'd call it when the inside front unweights under acceleration. I know the overall tendency to roll along the entire chassis plays a part as well, but I'm trying to break this into manageable chunks.

Will a sway bar on the rear help keep the inside front planted in a turn? If going to a rear sway bar, would going a notch lighter on the rear springs help correct any added twitchiness created?

Current setup, which is working pretty well is short blue springs on all 4 corners, 35wt oil in dampers that measure 54mm, pre-mount S-grips all around. There is a little rear end hop during faster corners and sweepers .Straight speed is amazing. Out of corners it dogs a little.

Thanks!
This is an opinion only, but it works the same way as when you adjust for the "tweak" in a car. For those who either don't do this or were unaware that almost all Minis are "tweaked". You adjust for this by lifting one end of the car and adjusting the shock collars on the other end of the car till the tires lift at the same time. Roll bars work in much the same way. Could be wrong tho.

Here's another could be wrong tho. It seems that you have a little mismatch in the spring rate to the shock oil viscosity. Too light an oil for the spring rate can cause rear end hop. Couple of other things might help like a rear roll bar and a little firmer insert in the rear tires. These are probably more significant than a mismatched oil and spring rate.

As in all things Mini, everything needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. Don't know why it is, but the "damned" things are all a bit different. I've had to put different set ups on cars to get them to handle the same. Perfect example are my three M03s. The shocks in all three are different lengths, one has the red sponge in the front shocks, the others don't. All three have different "personalities". These 3 cars all started with the same set up. One has stayed the same for close to three years and needed no "adjustments". The second, my newest Mini, has been easy and only need a few changes to the "base" set up. The third has been a 3 year struggle and has been great on certain track conditions, but most of the time it's just garbage.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Incidentally, a rear roll bar doesn't make the car "twitchy". It can have the opposite effect. But as in all things Mini, it sorta depends on------etc.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

TC dampers for a mini? He can get TRF mini dampers for I believe $45.
Yes. They are Identical, bar them being slightly longer. Plus, you can use them on TC's as well if you need too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.