Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I got my used M-05 in the mail yesterday and started working on it. needed a new silver can, and all the electrics were pulled and had to put new ends on everything.

went to go hook up the esc and all it did was beep and I couldnt get any power to the rx. Hit the BET button and powered it up and got a pause...2 beeps...pause...then the beeping again(and the led was blinking with the beeps).

the guy wasnt sure if it worked to begin with...whats wrong? and and if it is wasted what is a good replacement that is cheap?

got a novak gtb but that is a pain to run brushed, and a LRP digital but I think that has seen better days
Old 01-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Well forget my last post, figured it out. Just got to plug in the power wire to the esc so it has power. duhhh

Need to look up how to calibrate the throttle and the power system will be fine.

but I think there is another issue...the ball diff. I think it is a bit loose. you just barely brush a tire and it stops. hopfully its like a ae ball diff and I can tighten it up a bit. the car has a pull to one side or the other under acc, and I am blaming the diff slipping.

any pointers?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtman71
Well forget my last post, figured it out. Just got to plug in the power wire to the esc so it has power. duhhh

Need to look up how to calibrate the throttle and the power system will be fine.

but I think there is another issue...the ball diff. I think it is a bit loose. you just barely brush a tire and it stops. hopfully its like a ae ball diff and I can tighten it up a bit. the car has a pull to one side or the other under acc, and I am blaming the diff slipping.

any pointers?
Add a extra thin washer between the crush bearing and the locking nut to close the gap. This will make the diff tighter.

Also, I sanded both of the diff rings with 800 grit sand paper both sides and use super glue to hold them from slipping.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The car will wander alot with the stock servo saver. I would suggest a Kimbrough servo saver.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm running the stock arms on my M03 Shane. Now that I know they attach there though, I should be able to figure it out. Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nytryder
The car will wander alot with the stock servo saver. I would suggest a Kimbrough servo saver.
I got a kimbrough on there but there is some play in the steering that is not the saver. looks like upgrade time.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just spent some time refilling the 3Racing gear diff. With 500000 cst Kyosho silicone. Holy moly! It's like filling it with cold honey. I'd describe it as almost locked up, but still smooth. Amazing! Should have quite a lot of pull.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 01-23-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Just spent some time refilling the 3Racing gear diff. With 500000 cat Kyosho silicone. Holy moly! It's like filling it with cold honey. I'd describe it as almost locked up, but still smooth. Amazing! Should have quite a lot of pull.
So you guys are finalling starting to wake up

The other good filling is Ofna diff lock (Tower Hobbies usually has it). Very heavy so plenty of drive out of corners
Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

500.000 sounds really tough.
Is there still any difference to a spool regarding on power pull or off power turn in?

I still have to tryout mine, but definitely will start with 2.000k, as included in the kit.

Just thinking: Do the experts also run in the gears with handwashing stuff or any abrasive medium? I heard this would even smooth the diff action.
Probably should get new o-rings after that...

BR,
Matthias
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Adjustable gear diff working for me like a ball diff.

Double shims under outdrive gears and firmness adjusted by how tight the diff halves are screwed together. Liberal coating of AW grease.
Too tight and steering was lost, too loose and poor corner exit, "diffing out".
Car's never been better. Very successful at TCS yesterday in Pro Mini class, 17.5 no timing (esc).
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Anyone know why the Tamiya #53509 Hard 20t pinion is so hard to find in stock?? Any good long lasting alternatives...cant stand the stock pinion.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Adjustable gear diff working for me like a ball diff.

Double shims under outdrive gears and firmness adjusted by how tight the diff halves are screwed together. Liberal coating of AW grease.
Too tight and steering was lost, too loose and poor corner exit, "diffing out".
Car's never been better. Very successful at TCS yesterday in Pro Mini class, 17.5 no timing (esc).
It sounds like you are tweaking the kit diff.

With the 3Racing diff you just build it as it comes, fill it with oil and run it.

I'm running 5K on carpet, as are a few other racers I know. We like it, it is fast in our local championship. Naturally other racers will have their own preferences, but I have found thick goop far too stiff in the car, rendering it undriveable - even 7K feels edgy on the track.

What I like about the oil-filled gear diff compared to the ball diffs is that as you accelerate out of the corners, the fluid locks up, so the diff can be both free mid-corner and positive out of it. It took a while to get used to this different feel, but having briefly gone back to a TA-03 diff, I'm sticking with the 3Racing diff from now on.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Anyone know why the Tamiya #53509 Hard 20t pinion is so hard to find in stock?? Any good long lasting alternatives...cant stand the stock pinion.
RW Racing make steel 0.6mod pinions. These are easy to find in the UK, no idea about availability worldwide.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I picked up some Robinson Racing pinions to try the 16 and 18 tooth with the 17.5 and played with the endbell timing.
The pinions were called something like ...metric pitch...to fit the Mini.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sosidge
It sounds like you are tweaking the kit diff.

With the 3Racing diff you just build it as it comes, fill it with oil and run it.
Yep, I am tweekin the kit diff and so far I like being able to tweek it with the diff half side screws. I was able to go from super free to super tight but if tried on a ball diff we already know what happens if loose, a couple minutes and you've got a meltdown.
With the fluid diff, you get what you get and to change it, it has to come out.
I have a tiny hole in the chassis to allow access to the diff half screws for adjustment. Ssshhh. Best diff I've ever had, ball or fluid, onroad or offroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.