Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

I've seen a similar problem recently, the guy had the blue alloy 1.5 degree toe in rear uprights with the adjustable upper links on an M03. He'd put a 2mm spacer each side and after measuring with a camber gauge, one side had zero camber, the other had 2 degrees negative. All I can think is that there is a certain amount of tolerance in the parts and not all of them come out perfect. The simple solution was to just change the 2mm spacer to a 1mm spacer to go from zero camber to negative 2.

I've seen a few other cases recently, but it wasn't camber, it was toe in on the rear upright. The guys were using 2 degree toe in plastic rear uprights but they looked more like 4 degree toe in. The cause of this was from hitting the boards way too hard and it just twisted the rear upright giving far more toe in than it should.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I had a similar issue with M-06. It was a combination of the chassis and the lower suspension bits being a little off. Didn't bother fixing it.

On that note, I busted out my M-03 last weekend and kicked (b main) butt. Best race this year.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tony gray
You've got me stumped I have to say. Mind you, the amount of slop inherent in most Minis means that camber can vary 2-3 degrees at any time.

I checked over all my cars and they're all fine, nothing like that degree of difference side to side. I'm actually not sure what to advise you to look at next. I can't imagine that an M03 chassis itself could be tweaked? Hmmmm...
Very funny Tony. You know damned well they're all tweaked. Well, at least mine all are. Best argument of all to go to adjustable links.

Another thing in Graphitedusts post that was interesting was the comment on his shocks. Overall length is for setting droop and doesn't have to be the same front to rear. I'm going to assume that his shock collars are in the same place also, which is the most common set up error I see. Very few racers adjust their shocks to compensate for tweak.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WildManDriving
We use the Hobbywing ezrun 35a/13t combo as a control class over here in Australia.
Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Hi Joe, we recently started running an Orca Q Spark 2200kv combo in our race series in western Canada. I asked that the motors be built to spec at around 2200kv and they're very close to a (real) silver can, but with more torque. They're built the same as a Hobbywing 13T in that they are a 380 sized rotor in a 540 size can. Very efficient and reliable design. The 13t motors the guys run in Australia are fantastic and reliable, too, but they are closer to a 20t-23t in terms of speed...

Jim
So, I'm leaning toward the 3000kv 13t hobbywing motor.
but while searching for the best price I came upon a 3000kv Tacon motor.
Besides being green and about half the price; anyone know the difference?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Besides the fact that they might rhyme with bacon, there's probably not much difference. What about a speed control? Do they make those, too? Are they called "Teggs"?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Ha!
I'm just planning to use an esc I have already.
Probably a dynamite fuze... maybe a castle sidewinder.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Y'know, I dislike NASCAR and most other forms of oval racing, but running minis on an oval is a blast. We've run oval night several times this year and it never fails to entertain.

How dare you say that! LOL!

I'm a neophyte to Mini's.
Started to race them on the carpet oval track.

Just wanted to say I love your web page of Mini info.
Great stuff.
Keep up the good work.

Rossman
Old 11-25-2011, 02:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa
Very funny Tony. You know damned well they're all tweaked. Well, at least mine all are. Best argument of all to go to adjustable links.

Another thing in Graphitedusts post that was interesting was the comment on his shocks. Overall length is for setting droop and doesn't have to be the same front to rear. I'm going to assume that his shock collars are in the same place also, which is the most common set up error I see. Very few racers adjust their shocks to compensate for tweak.
How are you taking these measurements? If it's with a gauge leant against a mounted wheel you're wasting your time but then with the amount of movement in the joints of a mini I don't know why you would bother
The only adjustments that I have ever found make any difference to an m03 are the front toe and the right height! Lol
Old 11-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scoop
How are you taking these measurements? If it's with a gauge leant against a mounted wheel you're wasting your time but then with the amount of movement in the joints of a mini I don't know why you would bother
The only adjustments that I have ever found make any difference to an m03 are the front toe and the right height! Lol
Interesting. Did not know it was just a waste of time to "set up" a Mini. Just for the sake of argument tho, if your presumption is correct, all Minis would be the same or that the "faster" Minis are just a matter of luck. You may be right, but I doubt it.

But then, you may have just posted this to see the response.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by scoop
Originally Posted by Granpa
Interesting. Did not know it was just a waste of time to "set up" a Mini. Just for the sake of argument tho, if your presumption is correct, all Minis would be the same or that the "faster" Minis are just a matter of luck. You may be right, but I doubt it.

But then, you may have just posted this to see the response.
I think it's somewhere between the two. Trying to get all of the slop out of a mini so you can tune it to the n'th degree is ultimately self defeating, as they will always surprise you with more slop from someplace else. On the other hand, there are a lot of things one can do to make a mini work.

For example, we moved our club recently from a location that was super smooth to one that isn't. In the process we also switched from our club's carpet to Ozite. When I first ran there, my car was set up very low, with stiff springs, hard shock oil and alignment fairly neutral. It was crap.

The following week the springs were softer, shock oils much lighter, ride height up and alignment was more aggressive (in that vaguely M chassis sort of way). The car handled like a dream.

So, I made something like 5 adjustments and the car was gold, but when I see a mini on a setup board...I just don't know.

Jim
Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If the setup gear is available, its crazy not to use it, even on a mini. i found it great to set toe, and you can adjust camber. Im going to work alot more on my 06, its still too lazy on the steering compared to my 03 and 05.

Setup station user, and proud of it
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by joe c
...while searching for the best price I came upon a 3000kv Tacon motor...
I'm just planning to use an esc I have already.
Probably a dynamite fuze...
Well, I ordered the tacon 3000kv motor; $20 and free shipping was to cheap to pass up.
It might be a 380 wrapped in a 540 can like the hw; in fact I hope so.
I'll report back when I get it.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It might be a 380 wrapped in a 540 can like the hw; in fact I hope so.
That's what they are. The .5T motors are the true 540.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

Good to know.
This one is called a 540xl. It's 50mm long with a 30mm diameter.
I don't know what makes it "xl".
Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default Using set up gear

Monkey racing thanks.
Apart from front toe what else can you adjust on an m03? The castor, camber and rear toe are all fixed.
He adjusted springs, oil and ride height. What's that got to do with set up gear?
I like my front toe straight (neither pos or neg) and you only need a flat surface and a straight edge for that.

I think it's somewhere between the two. Trying to get all of the slop out of a mini so you can tune it to the n'th degree is ultimately self defeating, as they will always surprise you with more slop from someplace else. On the other hand, there are a lot of things one can do to make a mini work.

For example, we moved our club recently from a location that was super smooth to one that isn't. In the process we also switched from our club's carpet to Ozite. When I first ran there, my car was set up very low, with stiff springs, hard shock oil and alignment fairly neutral. It was crap.

The following week the springs were softer, shock oils much lighter, ride height up and alignment was more aggressive (in that vaguely M chassis sort of way). The car handled like a dream.

Apart from the front toe what else can you adjust on an m03. The castor, camber and rear toe are all fixed.
Monkey racing proves my point. He adjusted springs, oil and ride height. What's that got to do with a set up gear? I always set my toe straight with a ruler on the floor. Don't need it
So, I made something like 5 adjustments and the car was gold, but when I see a mini on a setup board...I just don't know.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.