Community
Wiki Posts
Search

boooo to stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How many heats of drivers does your club get on an average race night?? How many classes are they divided into?? What time do they normally start/ end?? How many Mod drivers had they been getting on an average race night??

AND C'Mon be honest!!!!

Also how many of you guys are really pissed about the rule change??? BE HONEST!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i guess i dont see what is wrong with stock racing. i see well seasoned racers run lap times just as fast lap times as guys with mod motors. its all about corner speed. anyone can throw in a low turn mod, but not everyone can handle them and just loose all there speed in the corner or getting hung on the boards. stock will teach you how to keep corner speed then you can move up to mod. besides stock sedan is one of the most competitive classes out theere right now.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by trf racer
but if we all bought mods than the price wud go down
I've run my MVP for about 25 to 30 packs, It's cleaned after each weekend of racing and the comm is cleaned till shinny with an eraser, same brushes(cleaned) and springs are re-used. I'm still competative. If I tried to do this with a mod It would be a catastrophe, I'd be at the back of the pack and struggling from motor problems. Mod motors cost $60+ and maintance is high. Stocks cost $30 and maintance is not as high as long as you take care of the motor.

I'm running 2400 matched packs ($40 each) I've had for a year and I can still be competative in stock. If I was running mod I would be shelling out for a set of brushes each one to two weekends and new packs ($60+ each) because my packs wouldn't last long enough. In my personal opinion stock is the best class out there, you get close racing and you don't need the best stuff out there just to make run time.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 06-18-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

I don't see any point to forcing people to run mod but you should still have the option to if you want.

Here, clubs will cater for classes where there is a need, if it's mod, stock, 12th or whatever.
As someone already mentioned, it may well be a problem at the committee level of your club, calmly discussing the problem will likely lead to an explanation(unsuitable indoor venue?).

I raced mod and stock for years, on and off road. It's a very competitive class which helps develop setup skills/racecraft etc and is the breeding ground for Noobies
Old 06-18-2003, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

While I'll agree that a club shouldn't completely rule out having a mod class, tha fact is that stocks do make it easier to learn how to drive & set up a car, plus stocks are easier on drivetrain components, tires, etc. At my local track, we have a group of guys(including myself) who can & do run mod from time to time, but it's always very hard on the cars, ESPECIALLY tires(the surface is pretty abrasive). We can easily make a new set of tires all but useless for mod in one or 2 race days(though they can still be ok for stock). I don't know about you, but I can't afford to buy new sets of tires every other week(& many of the others here agree), so we also run stock quite a bit(& we have an Expert Stock class so the less experienced stock racers don't feel they HAVE to run with us, they only do if they want to). Now with stocks, a set of tires can actually last a LOT longer(here as many as 6-8 weeks if your car is well set up & you use the right compound), plus there are fewer problems with outdrives CVD's & diff parts wearing. One other thing, you CAN actually use good batteries for stock, if anything they help you more there, as everyone's available motor power is much closer to each other(so that little extra bit of voltage helps immensely). And as for GP3300's, they do actually work out better than 2000's or 2400's in a number of ways, most notably in that at the end of a 5 minute race, their voltage hasn't dropped off NEARLY as much as with 2000's or 2400'sso you can run laps every bit as fast at the end as you do at the beginning(the GP's only real drawback is weight, but if you've already worked on getting your car to just make minimum weight with the GP's, it's no real issue). And one other thing, running stock also makes it neccessary to learn to drive better, it's a matter of having ZERO mistakes & learning to maintain your car's momentum. There's really nothing at all wrong with stock, it's just different that's all. Maybe of you gave it a chance, you might come to appreciate it(& it might even make you a better driver in the process).....
Old 06-19-2003, 06:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

1st the club race 3 heats and a final.this wud mean we wud run out of time to run both classes.
2nd wen we raced mod we were all getting roughly the same positions.wen we went to stock we still have the same position,BUT,all the people with money get a full skim,new brushes,and a full rebuild.while some othe people cant afford this and gio without rebuilds after every meeting.so the price isnt going down there.and the people who have nt got lathes or cant afford new brushes every run dont have any advantage.and are still losing.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

we opnly have 1 class.stock.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: no booing

Originally posted by davioh
whats this thread all about? do you see supra's running against ferrari F-1 cars? exactly. even with touring cars, there are different kinds, like street cars, and race cars. and not everyone thinks like you and maybe not everyone can handle a fast motor (like myself) and would rather stick with stock and do nice corners rather than crash around with a mod. AND not everyone (like myself) can afford reedy kr's. i race stock and i am glad they have it or else my car would be gone, crashed, blown to bits, and if ur club says all stock, maybe go talk to the guy see if you can also hav mod races alongside the stock...don't just booo to stock

just what i think
Yeah, I agree. No booooing. I could never afford to spend all my money on mod motors. First of all they require you to cut the comm 9 times more than a stock motor, so that also requires you to buy brushes more often. Not to mention that when you cut a motor often than that also shortens the amount of life you can get out of that armature. You also need more expensive esc's (but most serious racers use a high quality esc that can handle a mod motor for stock anyway) and you hit the corner pipe 15 mph faster, so you break more. Some beginners can hardly handle a 540 motor anyway. Hell, yesterday I was practicing with a stock motor and got board so I decided to try my 19t in my tc3, and that was a big difference. Imagine how big a difference a beginner would have going from a 540 or a 20t traxxas motor to a low turn mod motor if me (and I'm pretty experianced and a pretty good driver) switching from stock to 19t was a big difference?

Last edited by racerdx6; 06-19-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quite right, sometimes going slower is just what a driver needs to learn how to set up both his car & his technique. It's easier to find grip with a stock(so tires aren't much of a factor like I said before) & being slower just gives you more time to think while you're driving, so you have a chance to figure out how you should take a given corner & learn to carry speed(conserving your momentum is an ABSOLUTE in stock), & with mods, that's just not possible for everyone(though naturally some people will take to it better than others). And trf man, I wasn't talking about ALL the same guys doing both classes at once, I meant those who want to run stock should have a chance to & those who want to run mod should have their chance too(just how many guys race at your track?).....
Old 06-19-2003, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

the big problem I see in mod is guys that couldn't handle a well tuned stock motor are grabbing for 8 and 9 turn mods. Mod is a blast....but not when you're getting blasted. Just my quick $0.02
Old 06-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I normally run stock. But many a time i like to run mod as well, its a rush...and i can control it. I'd say mod is a great class to hone your skills if you don't plan to race it nearly as much. my 2 cents
Old 06-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Tech Rookie

I run spec class at my track u now spec motor spec battery and hpi x pattern tires I would love to run stock but it's to expensive u know you get 2 place and u check out the guy's motor in the car that got 1st place and then u buy that and it keeps going on and on and I can't afford the packs. My only problem is speed 1 weekend my car was almost as fast as everyone else's car and I was on the leaders tail the whole time in the main I can outdrive the guy in 1stt but he has a comme lathe, diamond bit, and all the expensive stuff and that's why I can't win so I want 2 run stock class but now almost all the stock and mod drivers have the novak brushless so it's no use.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

First off- the Novak Brushless should only be allowedin MOD! Second, if you can afford 2 competition stock motors (what you will need to be competeive in stock, yu can afford a nice motor lathe...... Next.... Quit whinning... pull your motor and go ask someone if they would mind turning your comm for you once in a while... I bet you will be surpised that most guys at the track will if you don't ask while they are knee deep in........ you get the idea..... Also offer them afew bucks to do the work for you, most likely they will turn it down, but understand you apprication much more than a simple thank you can afford....
Old 06-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

TRF Man-- I am gonna assume you are the only racer upset about the stock restriction...if there really is one..... Quit whinning.... I read on the other thread your preferred method of setting motor timing and I must say running stock will save you a whole lot more money than most............
Old 07-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea, I don't think you should start booing stock just because your club isn't running mod anymore. I have been in this hobby for 3 years and am just starting to race. I am going to race stock because I can't afford mod, even though I used mods for bashing. Personally, I will probably always run stock for the simple fact that everyone has the same turn motor and a LOT of it comes down to driver skill. And, if you were a big hot shot in mod, you should be able to go down there and smoke the stock racers. Maybe if you start doing that and the stock racers start complaining, then you will get the mod class back. Just my though on the whole ordeal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.