Atlas YM34 Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlas YM34 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

i was thinking about selling my atlas at the end of this indoor season, but now that it has all TI screws and ti-rods and i have built up an extensive parts support for it, i will not be selling it now.
On the track the car has never let me down either...
When i get pissed at my new shaft drive car, whatever it ends up being, i know i'll have something trusty to fall back on...
Old 04-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey fellas,
long time. synapse, sounds like you're in the market for some nice machines. we had someone try the evoIII on carpet here a few months ago. no matter what, it was a dog. it was rayhuang's, he posts here too. he's also got one of the fastest cars out every weekend. the evo was nearly 1/2 second slower than his tc3. he even sent it out to washington state to someone who is a guru in freeing up the tamiyas. it came back spinning free as anything, but just didn't have the cornerspeed. the consensus was that the chassis just had too much flex. now he's running an xray, and the lap times are back where they should be. just an fyi. i'm the kind of person who will find a way to make almost anything work, but it may be alot of work, or alot of dough to get the evo to rip on carpet. i'm also interested to see what the finished product will be from hpi. looks killer though.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

seaball

thanks for the heads up... i must say that Im disappointed to hear that cuz the evo3 looks so sweet.

beyond loox, chassis flex is not tollerable, especially for a tight carpet track that i usually race at... Im a bit surprised that it even has flex...

I guess i'll keep my eye out for the HPI and maybe look into the demon TC3 chassis...
Old 04-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by JohnA
Jono

Word going round is you are about to ditch the Atlas in favour of an Evo III, I'd say stick with it, it's a great car and even though my driving sucks, it sucked worse with my other cars!! My brother has had good success with his Type T in the UK.

Sell the Losi, get the evo, but keet the Atlas it's good to have somethng a bit different to everyone else.
Word spread fast then

but its not actually true anymore, i am looking at the corally assassin, and i might not have to sell either of my cars to buy one aswell which is good !
Old 04-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

jono u say u want a different car every week
Old 04-17-2003, 02:31 AM
Tech Adept

syntex i dont even know who you are ?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

synapse,
yup. we run on tight ozite with medium to high grip depending on the amount of traffic that day. and yes, we don't like flex either. i've taken an ultra stiff car (the rclab seven) and custom made top plates to further stiffen it. when it comes to stiffness, it seems that you just can't beat a molded chassis. some guys are now getting the xray and an additional molded raycer chassis to use for carpet. and i did play with the evoIII myself and it does flex alot. if i were running it, i would make another top plate, but that is a bit of a pain for most, and can change your setup so you're often alone if the chassis stiffness is way different than stock. i dunno about the demon chassis either. it's trick, but i would love to run a single molded chassis on my car if i could. i know having a tweak free chassis would be killer. especially on carpet where droop can be as small as ...none. if you're car tweaks out from contact with a board, the car can drive like crap for the rest of the run. twin plates are notorious for that in my opinion. but then again, you didn't ask for my opinion. i'm sure you've got it figured out. just trying to help out. it is definitely nice to see a good choice of shaft cars here in the near future.

j0n0 - that assasin looks the bomb. got me thinking too. i like the belt cars, just cause nobody else does for carpet! at least not around here. not too original where we race. american pride i guess.

lata fellas.

can't wait to break out the type t on the outdoor circuits. for now it's been put up for the rest of the carpet program. just not working like the lab inside. and i've run out of patience.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not to get off topic but the HPI car might have the right stuff. The fact that they showed at Cleveland tells me a lot about there commiment to testing, vs. what they did with the Pro3. Unfortunate they wasted all their runs at the race instead of coming a few days early to run on the practice track.

My buddy to Hara: " dude i would never run those tires on carpet.." (points to some wacky gas car rubber he has bolted up)

Hara:"Really?"

Next round Hara has different tires on the car....
Old 04-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

yeah rob,
it'll be nice to see some other shaft cars giving the tc3 a run.

btw - anybody have some delrin outdrives for sale? i know someone did a few months ago. 
Old 04-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Type T setup and info.

I am rather new to the whole RC thing and have just purchased two Type T cars. I plan on running one on asphalt with a brushless setup and one on carpet running a 27 turn motor. Are there any web resources available to help me set up my Type T's? Or is it really just trial and error?

These will also be my first cars with one ways in the front, which should take a while to get used to. I have some spare diffs. Should I leave the one ways in or will the car be more controllable with a front diff?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

welcome dragnet,
wow, i will say that you've really jumped right in with the type t. and...two of them to boot. best deal in rc right now.

as far as setup goes, there are some on this thread, and some on the miwa hobby site. personally, i use others' setups as just a reference, as what works for others may not work for me. track surface, condition, temp, layout, and of course driving styles. i use people's setups to gauge general trends. ie. spring bias (is the car typically setup stiffer front or back?), same idea for pistion/oil combo (though they typically mock the spring bias), roll center (high or low), and perhaps if the setup is informative enough, the geneal slope of the roll axis. i think we are always on our own, unless you really trust someone to have a balanced car.

i will say this though, put in the diff up front in both cars if you have the parts. as a beginner, i think you will benefit more from making the cars similar, than maybe suited to their specific application. and the diff will make the car much more consistent to drive. especially if you are running mod. and consistency breeds speed. ultimately, the oneway will likely improve lap times outdoors, but most carpet racers run a double diff setup as traction indoors is quite good, and little or no benefit is seen with a oneway.

if you follow this thread from it's inception you will learn valuable information about this car. robk had run it outdoors and in for integy and did alot of research and track testing. unfortunately, none of the sponsored asian drivers visit this thread, so we get by with our own trials on asphalt. there are also some great posts by the others that are currently running the t. synapse, johna, and claydoh to name a few. sorry if i missed someone, but this post is long enough. whew.

well, with that having been said, i'll be taking off now. good luck, and keep us posted on your trials and tribulations.

lata,
chris.

ps - just set my t up with it's first asphalt setup. keeping my fingers crossed that i don't have the problems i did with it on carpet the first time out. i undid alot of stuff that worked for ozite. wow, 9* of castor is a ton, especially with a oneway. it's gonna be like 60F out, and i'm running h-13's. i've got some take off's, sorex, and orions to go to if i need to. i'm trying to use up a bunch of prolines that i got about 9 mos. ago for cheap. uhh, we'll see.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks.

I'll keep playing and keep you posted.

I also picked up a TRF414MII so I will be able to compare the two cars side by side. I was really pumped on the 414 until I saw the Atlas. I think the Atlas is a better built car by looking at them. Although I will have to get them both out there and see what happens. Any tire recommendations for somewhat dirty and slippery asphalt racing?

Anybody here have the Type SI? Just wondering if it is a big improvement on the Type T or not?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Default One ways

Thanks again for the input Seaball.

As I said I am pretty new to the hobby. My friends that I race with (Who also do not have a ton of experience) told me that one ways run better on carpet. Is it in fact opposite?

Like I said we are all kind of new and trying to start a club locally so any info is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Dragnet, look about 20 posts above this one to see what I use for old asphalt. I also posted a link to a setup sheet I used as a base.

One-ways are more of a driving style choice then a tuning option. Some people hate them and wouldn't use them anywhere and some use them certain places to help them. I use the one-way because it makes it more of a challenge and forces you to be smooth. If you're a new driver, the one-way will just make it harder. And when you're new, getting around the track without geting marshalled will win you the race.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

with the assumption that you are using rubber tires, i think maybe the hpi xpatern, advans, or schumacher carpet dragons (all of these are treaded) will work well in dirty applications. also if it's seems too slippery for slicks of any sort, you my try some mini pins. lots of dudes in europe use them for wet or dirty tracks. i dunno where, or who makes them.

as far as the one ways go, i'm sicking by my original statement that they are rarely a benefit on carpet. the idea behind a one way diff is this. durring decelleration there is no braking on the front end. this leaves all of the traction for changing direction. when accellerating, the inside wheel is forced to rotate at the same speed as the pulley and the outside will free wheel at a velocity faster than the pulley. the result here is an average velocity faster than the pulley which will cause the front of the car to pull itself through the turns on power. so basically it's more aggressive both on and off power. typically this translates into faster times when the driver can harness the aggressive behavior. on carpet, however, a car with double diffs can be set up so that it still has plenty of steering on and off power due to the traction. when this is the case, a one way will just add difficulty in turning consistent laps.

now that is what i've seen up here. we race with some guys who've recently made the amain in the indoor champs, snowbirds, and the roar nats. they use diffs only. however, there is a small percentage of folks who try to use one ways everywhere, pointing out that a one way will always be faser if you drive well enough. do i need to be faster than our paul ciccarello who placed third in the snowbirds for tc stock? i think not. chuck lonregan is really the man to beat in tc stock carpet...and well...he runs one ways. go figure. but 95% of carpet guys run diffs, and chuck's skills are out of this world.

i'm gonna check on claydoh's setup for myself.

layta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.