Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Brushless vs Brush 2wd offroad >

Brushless vs Brush 2wd offroad

Brushless vs Brush 2wd offroad

Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

The Mamba Max has programmable brake power, I can make my car lock up the tires or not hardly slow at all.

Drag brake I think is not what you expect coming from a brushed motor background. Drag brake is only at the neutral throttle position. Brushed motors drag from any point the motor is spinning faster than the throttle input. The cure for this if it bothers you is to use a slotted style brushless motor as they have a more brush like magnetid drag to them.

The insane power of brushless is from running to high of a KV. If you go with a lower KV it doesn't have the same two stroke style "power band".

You guy's who still perfer a brushed motor should try to find the opportunity to drive a properly tuned brushless setup.

Motor cost is a fallicy. There are brushless motors that are inexpensive and there are brushed motors that would buy you a whole brushless set.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Going back and forth with both, i preferred the brushless setup, at least the Mamba Max setup in my B4 when I had it. It was nice to be able to configure it just like I wanted with or without a computer, but the real kicker that matters between brushed and brushless is the fact I didn't need to screw around with brushes, springs, cutting the comm,etc.

Saves money in the long wrong, and is one less hassle to worry about.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Brushless owns brushed, minimal maintenance, Longer run times, built in lipo cuts on most esc's, smoothness, motors are not magnetic and dont pick up debris, Brushes never get hung up, Better brakes i have noticed especially compared to mod motors. Low Low motor temps., Better resale value.

Should i go on ?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

not to mention almost an indefinate life WITH NO REBUILDS as long as they aren't overheated.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

rb, brushlss motors are magnetized and will pick up debris. The magnet is just on the rotor instead of in the can.

Most brushless motors are fairly sealed though, so you don't have to worry as much about debris.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DrKnow65
rb, brushlss motors are magnetized and will pick up debris. The magnet is just on the rotor instead of in the can.

Most brushless motors are fairly sealed though, so you don't have to worry as much about debris.
werd, Never opened my 2 BL motors cause i dont have too.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I run a mamba 7700 system. I can set the timing or gear for most conditions. When you set up a throtle curve you don't want it to be linear. You want it to be very mild on the bottom end, steap in the middle, & mild on top. This way you can easily blip the throtle in the middle of a jump to correct landings.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

BL,you dont have to work on the motor
B,you have to work on the motor
in offroad BL is much better and the power is good enough, tc and 1/12 is another story with power but i run BL in 1/12,i like not working on motors and just the car.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If your debating on which to buy, brushless will soon be the new standard.

Think of it as progression. They dont make 8 tracks any more, though my parents still wish they did

Serious though, its worth the added espence of the brushless, and with a few extra minutes you can tune the esc to work with your driving style.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Another little thing I like about the brushless. If you get stuck against a rail on a slight hill, the brushless motor will let the car roll backwards if you are off the trigger. Brushed will not. Yeah, a very tiny thing, but it's saved me from a marshall more than once.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Brushed doesn't compare to brushless. This is coming from someone who was a brushless holdout for a long time. I held out because I like tuning motors, cutting comms, aligning brush hoods, centering arms. But when it prevents you from having as much power you'd like to in the main because you didn't have time to change brushes (and cut the comm) when they are burnt and discolored--you finally realize brushless is the future. I firmly believe within 3-5 years brushed motors will be virtually out of production in rc cars. Brushless gives you more time to focus on suspension settings and pretty much guarentees that you will have as much power at the end of the day for the main, that you did when practicing at 10:00 in the morning.

I have only had my Sphere Comp and Vector 6.5 for a little while but I am beyond impressed. So much better than any brushed setup. Someone said something about the lack of cogging in brushless motors: My Vector 6.5 came stock with a bonded rotor which virtually had zero cogging -if the car was on a slight incline it would roll backwards-I recently installed the optional sintered rotor and in the car it feels like a brushed motor--it has the same magnetic cogging as a strong modified brush motor, it actually takes some force to roll it on the ground. I haven't tried it on the track yet but I have a feeling it will feel alot different than the bonded rotor.

Last edited by d16dcoe45; 01-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also, alot of guys keep bringing up how most people ran brushed at the Worlds in Japan recently. The way I understood it, the only reason brushed was being run was because the first few days of practice was straight rain, and really muddy conditions--alot of deep puddles. Since brushless are very sensitive to any water it was decided to run brushed--especially with ESCs like the QC3 which is (supposed to be) 100% waterproof. Unless I missed something, the brushed motors were not run because of some perceived performance advantage--they were run simply because brushless would have malfunctioned with all the moisture.

Also, at the level of Professionals, maintenence is a non-issue--If a brushed motor works better--even if it requires a comm. cut and new brushes every round that is what guys will run, and yet they still run brushless most of the time.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45

Also, at the level of Professionals, maintenence is a non-issue--If a brushed motor works better--even if it requires a comm. cut and new brushes every round that is what guys will run, and yet they still run brushless most of the time.

They also have unlimited funds, factory equiptment, and replacements readily available at the drop of a hat. Not to mention support in the form of help. They have the help necessary to have there motor built or replaced for them while there concentrating on other things.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

If I had that kind of support behind me, I would also run exactly what I was given or told to run, by my sponsers. Who also write my paycheck.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

That is what I am saying--that maint. wise its just as easy as a pro to run a brushed motor--while for the rest of us it means more work in constant motor rebuilds. Yet pros still run brushless.
I also agree that they run whatever they are told to run--to a certain degree. If someone (pro) really hates the new XYZ motor setup-or a new chassis material-the magazines will print that he is running XYZ motor or ABC chassis, but you won't find it in his car!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.