Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
IB 4200 hissing / venting >

IB 4200 hissing / venting

IB 4200 hissing / venting

Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

well I must say I screwed up this weekend and stuck a full pack on a 30A discharger and a cell blew, exciting stuff
Old 01-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my ib's vent aswell, it always makes me nervous.. it actually got to the point that it took it off my charger, and ran outside and left it there for about 30 mins..just incase..

ive seen packs explode, 1 the driver noticed and got it out of the pits.. 1, a cell went off, and almost made contact with someone, and 1 went off in a car during a race and caught fire, corner marshal got to it in time, but it melted the body pretty good..,

on one of my 4 cell packs all the covering/stickers melted off and left me with 4 shinny cells..

other than that my batterires arent to bad..lol

ive also seen a 5 cell AA reciever pack explode also.. left a nice mark on the table
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

IBs basically sux...!

I had 2 new packs, and after a race or 2, each pack has already a dead cell..!

I don't know about their new and current batch regarding their reliability as I've stayed away from IBs for some time now...!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

I think the IB's rock, ive only had one cell vent/explode ill have to put myself as part of the cause for that, and only two other cells go south on me prematurely out of around 150 cells over the past year. Considering the extreme abuse we put these cells though its a wonder they last at all, any brand. Looked at one of my cells closely the other day, said to charge for 16hrs at 40mA, hmmm and we ask ourselves why they blow up and get mad at the manufacturor when we charge them at 6 amps and discharge them at up to 40A.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Ditto

I like to have the packs in my car hissing just as i hit the carpet... ITs a real confidence booster and scares the other drivers... I just tell them its a lipo swelling

Thats awesome!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah I dunno, IB's have been fine by me. I've seen lots of issues first hand, but mine have never had one. Charge at 12 amps, keep them under 130 degrees (I think SMC says 140...) and I've yet to cook or blow one up..

They sizzle pretty often...but what do you expect at the rate I cook at..
Old 01-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Desolas
Yeah I dunno, IB's have been fine by me. I've seen lots of issues first hand, but mine have never had one. Charge at 12 amps, keep them under 130 degrees (I think SMC says 140...) and I've yet to cook or blow one up..

They sizzle pretty often...but what do you expect at the rate I cook at..
Gawd, man. Don't cha know ya ain't supposed to charge at anything above 4.5 amps, with the cells locked securely in an armored bomb proof container out in the middle of a 40 acre plot with nobody else around? Geeze, it's people like you causing all the problems. And you never blow a cell, that's bullcuckie. You're just tryin to sell more batteries and keep nimh alive...

I kid, for those that can't read into it.

Never blew a cell yet, racing since '87.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I got 5 IB 4200 4 cell packs and they are all total crap. I didn't even get to run them. I spent close to $150 on all of these and all I get for them is 5 VERY expensive paper weights. I will never buy IB cells again.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To be honest i have been running my IB4200s for 1.5years and have only had one cell go bad. Venting maybe when i first got them but with my cycle of storage at 1000mah and tray before charging i have had great success. I have seen IP poping off there ends and many B failures but for some reason i have had pretty good luck. I suppose proper charge and storage technics really help with this delicate sell, and SMC matching is pretty important too