Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
increasing combustion efficiency.. and some engine problems >

increasing combustion efficiency.. and some engine problems

increasing combustion efficiency.. and some engine problems

Old 06-15-2003, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default increasing combustion efficiency.. and some engine problems

Does anyone know about how to get more performance out of engines? I have an os .15 cv-x and it is lame. I'm only 14 and i don't have a job, so another engine is out of the question? My rc dealer says he ports the piston sleve and "they go like hell for a little while!" How do you do it? Are there any sites that show you how to do it yourself instead of sending it to someone? Also, is there another way to achieve the performance wanted while still keeping the longevity?

My engine is also running really crappy. I have it run and it idles fine until i bring it to full throttle. It then dies when i bring it back to idle. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CJ Dudley
NTC3
Old 06-16-2003, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: increasing combustion efficiency.. and some engine problems

Originally posted by NTC3 Racer
My engine is also running really crappy. I have it run and it idles fine until i bring it to full throttle. It then dies when i bring it back to idle. Any suggestions?
Probably you need some carb adjustment. Sound that you need to lean a little the low-end needle to cope with the bog and flameout of the engine.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: increasing combustion efficiency.. and some engine problems

Originally posted by NTC3 Racer
first of all run a new plug. if it idles fine the low end is ok. just as long as the idle doesn't start to rise when it is on the bench (this means low end is lean)

im not to familiar with the os's but i'm guessing being a student and all you wanna run your engines for long life not performance.

tune low end on the bench so that after idling for 10-15 seconds you can still WOT it without it bogging down to much put on track, clean out engine with a few WOT bursts, let it idle for 10-15secs then WOT again when it is on the ground. if it takes of well LEAVE THE LOW END MOVE ONTO TOP END..

sound like it is lean. richen it by a considerable amount (like 1/2turn) if it does the same again richen it, (do this mainly so you know what the symptoms are when it is rich. ie, learn.)

STILL DOING THAT WEIRD THING AT TOP END? then by process of elimination it must need to be leaned out. you richened it by 1/2 last time so lean it now by 3/4.

http://www.geocities.com/gloriaespad...itrotrx15.html

http://www.nascart.com/nitrom.htm

http://www.geocities.com/gloriaespad...itrotrx15.html
Old 06-16-2003, 12:03 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

well, in my experience with th older O.S engines is that their sleeves are not constructed of ABC.
So the engine will loose compressioon after some time.

Also, doing the porting yourself, well, unless you are experienced, i suggest that you don't do it, If you screw up, then it wont be too good

If you want performance without having to port the sleeve , then maybe get a new sleeve, i think Trinity has ABC sleeves for the o.s cv? Im not quite sure though, u can go check it out.
with the better sleeve and the higher compression, ur engine will definitely run better and also lasts longer than porting the sleeve u haf now

hope this helps
Old 06-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

The OS .15 CV-X is an ABN construction engine, so you have to be fairly careful of the temps of it.

There is an article at http://www.nitrorc.com/ , it is about porting the TRX .15. You can apply most of what they show in there to the OS engine. I did it to one of my old .15 CV's, and just extending the ports a little bit more made a noticeable difference in power. Also for some reason, the engine seemed to run cooler. I am not too sure why, but I'm guessing it may have been from the extra fuel running through the engine?

Also, Duratrax makes an ABC piston/sleeve for the OS .12 CV, but I'm not too sure if they make one for the .15 CV.

What pipe are you running on it right now? And I'm assuming that it's in a NTC3?
Old 06-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for all the input guys. I am running the stock pipe that comes on the team version. Should i get another pipe? If So, which one?

Thanks again

CJ DUDLEY
NTC3
Old 06-17-2003, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

IF the compression on your CV-15 is still good, I think getting your carb tuned properly is step #1. If you still feel like you could use a power boost, I think the most bang for your buck would be adding an O'Donnell head to it, I run O'Donnell heads on my CVs and they really do increase power (guessing 10-15%) as well as helping it run cooler. Nitrohouse has them on sale for $15.95, a cheap and effective upgrade.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/blowout_specials.htm