Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
hey if a guy wants to destroy a motor by putting holes in it...and he like tinkering, knock yourself out...he will be tinkering alot more to clean the motor more often and keeping debris out of it...

we dont have a National FDR rule anymore, so ppl are going to the limit to get more speed....Ive seen them geared to 3.1 fdr at our track...but with a extra nice fan blowing on it, it stayed 160 deg-ish...

Rob, I dont think a rule will work...cause then you get into not allowing cooling fans and removing the motor ring...its a can of worms with no end...

but VTA racers dont need to stir-up every time a "something" happens, rather it be battery,motors, or end bells....we need to use a little common sense and think about whats best for the class....

and of course, if I decide to drill some holes in my motor, to try and keep it cool...Im not geared correctly anyway....
Fans are allowed. I haven't seen many motors with the rings removed, even in "full race" classes, lately. Either way you're not drilling into the motor, and taking the ring off costs you nothing.

A rule will work if it says "you can't do that", unless everyone wants to ignore the rule. I'm not running anyone's track in the end. However it's good to have something to use as a reference point.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default gearing

is the gear ratio rule still in US VTA class
Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

People are already spending the money on a cooling fan so complaining about the small cost of vented endbells is pointless.

No one at our track is in danger of overheating a motor with a cooling fan on it. I only worry what happens when the fan quits. If I choose to spend the $25 to get the vented endbells as insurance to protect a $100 motor then so be it. In VTA it would not be gaining a competitive edge. Saying it would is like telling me my dual cooling fan is making me faster than a guy with a single fan. Again it won't make you faster, won't generate more torque, and won't really even allow you to drop gear ratios. The 25.5 can only do so much before it suffers from torque loss and lap times increase.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Just a couple little on track pics to lighten the mood around here.

We usually have 12-14 VTA cars each week on avg, the week in the photos there was 6 cars from 2 separate heats combined for a 12 car main race with the angled start for effect. It was exciting with lots off traffic and passing throughout the 8 min race.

The black Cuda in photo #2 is flat black with grey primer on areas like the wheel wells, rear quarter panels, rockers and hood edges.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_20111119_172310-small-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_20111112_154248-small-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_20111105_150332-small-.jpg  

Last edited by SS LS1; 12-08-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Pics of this weeks track layout ... Looks Fun!
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-track-medium-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-track2-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

nice
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
hey if a guy wants to destroy a motor by putting holes in it...and he like tinkering, knock yourself out...he will be tinkering alot more to clean the motor more often and keeping debris out of it...

Very true. Our original motors were designed with no holes in the can, or end bells, to keep debris out of the motors and limit the amount of motor maintenance necessary.

These vented end-bells will require more attention to cleaning than the closed bells that are standard on our motors. In a couple of weeks we will have completely anodized end bells so it will be easier to determine a factory produced item from the do-it-yourself Dremeling....

We are not advising making things more complicated, or expensive, for the racers. We like a level playing field, where talent can shine, not equipment.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77
is the gear ratio rule still in US VTA class
Nope. When things changed to 25.5 the FDR range requirement went away. Typically I'd say most people seem to be running around 4.0-4.2. Come join the fun !!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Very true. Our original motors were designed with no holes in the can, or end bells, to keep debris out of the motors and limit the amount of motor maintenance necessary.

These vented end-bells will require more attention to cleaning than the closed bells that are standard on our motors. In a couple of weeks we will have completely anodized end bells so it will be easier to determine a factory produced item from the do-it-yourself Dremeling....

We are not advising making things more complicated, or expensive, for the racers. We like a level playing field, where talent can shine, not equipment.
While you guys are updating the programming for the CNC machine, any chance of Novak removing the ridges from the end bells? It would make heat sinks a lot more effective if the can was flat from end to end.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by FauxMako
While you guys are updating the programming for the CNC machine, any chance of Novak removing the ridges from the end bells? It would make heat sinks a lot more effective if the can was flat from end to end.
The tooling for these new end-bells has been finalized. But, if we revise the products, we will always consider suggestions for improvement.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FauxMako
I think the purpose of the ridges is to provide a built-in heat sink without the need to add one.

Not sure what everybody else does, but I have a TC3 with the stock motor clamp heat sink and a high flow 20 mm removed from the speed control blowing on the side of the Ballistic can instead. On a very hot day with the asphalt at near 120 last summer, my fan came unplugged and my motor landed between 140 and 150 degrees after the race. It usually never gets over 130 when the fan runs the whole race. This is without any additional heat sinks and geared at 3.25:1 FDR. Not sure why we need holes honestly or heat sinks. I like the fact that I never have to do any maintenance to the motor. In fact, I just opened my Ballistic that I bought in June of 2010 for the first time a few weeks ago to clean it and lube the bearings. There was nothing to clean. That makes more sense to me than poking a bunch of holes in it and having to maintain it monthly or even weekly.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Snowbird Nationals online sign-ups start in just a few hours, 9pm EST! First ten entries get a set of camber gauges.

Who else is excited to run some USVTA at "the busiest week in R/C"?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

finishing up my new tc4ft for the birds

8 weeks to go
Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

At the moment I am leaning toward supporting the vent mod for USGT but not for VTA. Personally I dont want to have my endbell all chopped up hoping Rob doesnt rule against it. I do not envy him in this position. I am sure that he doesnt want to be overkill, but he wants to protect this good thing that we all have.

Rob what ever you decide I promise not to cry about it.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default tc5

I run a tc5 dont run sway bars should I ?
I know it wouldnt hurt but would it help alot ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.