Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

And people wonder why only one motor make is allowed....
Old 10-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

one motor works for me....I wouldnt mind one esc too....just playing

I would like to see Novak and HPI sponsor all USVTA saction events...only cause both companies are required to have the VTA class...

Novak motors Ballastic and SS 25.5
Novak esc's...most of them

HPI tires and rims
HPI bodies...most of them

dont get me wrong, Ive never had an issue with either sponsoring any event Ive put together, but I just think that if the class needs both to be what it is...and by all of us buying more products from them due to the increase in popularity of the class...they should always have our back....OR

come together and build us a RTR USVTA car....

and of course Im on meds right now and just typing to be typing...good night everybody
Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
come together and build us a RTR USVTA car....
THIS.

Novak and HPI have the biggest investment and would make the most sense, package up a HB Cyclone with the proper Novak ESC & Motor, wheels and tires in a box and then sell a half dozen different pre-painted and decaled VTA legal bodies with a driver figure already mounted, number circles and a sheet of numbers in the bag with the body. If they really want to get this class to be the onroad equivalent of SCT, this would be the ticket. I've had several friends' eyes glaze over after hearing the amount of work to go from nothing to race ready.

Three steps is what they want to hear: Open the box, pop in the batteries and turn it on.

Not: Buy this. Throw that away. Buy this to replace that. Buy those wheels and tires and a tube of CA and glue them together. Oh, wait,those don't match, you've got 5 spoke fronts and 8 spoke rears. Huh, they don't have a matching set? Weird. Yes, it would make sense to sell them already glued together. I don't know why they don't sell them that way. No, the ones that come already glued together aren't legal. Get one of these bodies. No, not that one, it's not legal. Yes, I know you prefer late model imports over muscle cars, but that's a different class. Pick out a color of paint. Yes, it has to be this special paint, the kind you already have won't work. Yes, you have to paint it yourself. It's not that hard, it'll only take you an evening or two. Well, you could use that color, but it's frowned upon. OK, that one is better. No, it'll be a little plainer than the one in the showcase. One like that will require an airbrush and a year or so practice. Go buy one of these ESCs and one of those motors. You'll probably need to mail order them or get the shop to special order them for you. Don't forget you'll either need to learn how to solder (and probably buy an iron and solder) or bring it to someone who does know how. Just bring it all to the LHS, they'll help you. You'll need an FDR near 4. FDR means ... never mind, just buy these gears. Don't forget the driver figure. Just glue it in. Just glue the guys head to the roof and the tab to the hood. I don't know why, you just do -- it's in the rules. Do all that and you should have a car that moves under it's own power in a couple of weeks, no problem.

Oh, you'd rather just get the RTR SCT and be able to run it tonight, get some practice in around your house and race it this weekend? Sure, you could do that.

It's just too much. I guess the good news is that the people who run the gauntlet have long term mental problems and stick around. What? Yes, I guess that does include me. Is it Wednesday yet?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

It would make a ton of sense for them to make an RTR. I tried getting a LHS to put a RTR package together and was told it wouldnt happen, so said to put together an ala carte for people to build a VTA car easier and again was told it was too much work. So someone new coming in doesnt have a chance unless they come to 1 of us to help them, where most people not already knowing 1 of us dont feel comfortable coming to ask a stranger for help like that.

Some company (or companies) really needs to come together to make it easier on new people entering the hobby into this class, since it has become such a large mainstream class. They have RTR buggies, truggies etc. Why not VTA cars? Its the perfect class to get someone new involved and people already in the hobby. Even then half the time the LHS's and Online stores are out of stock of our regularly used items.

I hope to see this class last for years and years to come. Its been the most fun and relaxing time Ive had in RC. We just need more support from the companies.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
It would make a ton of sense for them to make an RTR. I tried getting a LHS to put a RTR package together and was told it wouldnt happen, so said to put together an ala carte for people to build a VTA car easier and again was told it was too much work. So someone new coming in doesnt have a chance unless they come to 1 of us to help them, where most people not already knowing 1 of us dont feel comfortable coming to ask a stranger for help like that.

Some company (or companies) really needs to come together to make it easier on new people entering the hobby into this class, since it has become such a large mainstream class. They have RTR buggies, truggies etc. Why not VTA cars? Its the perfect class to get someone new involved and people already in the hobby. Even then half the time the LHS's and Online stores are out of stock of our regularly used items.

I hope to see this class last for years and years to come. Its been the most fun and relaxing time Ive had in RC. We just need more support from the companies.

I thought the same thing while I was building my VTA...But now I realize that coming from a off road nitro buggy to a touring car chassis that I was much better off to build it piece mill so I have an understanding of the car...My curve in off road was slowed because of RTR...took much longer to understand the working knowledge I need to take the step...but, to each their own...I really enjoyed building my VTA

Battman, I want to thank you for the words of advice on promoting...I had a super late start on this project but, it seems to be coming together with the help of the manufacturers...I cant say enough for the people in the positions of sending out help to the race promoters..they have been super in their help of a new and fledgling race...Here's to the manufacturers and to many more years of the S.E.C...Southeastern Championships and VTA racing!

It's getting bigger.....
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-southeast-road-coursesm.jpg  
Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Gear Ratio?

Are you guys running a FIXED Gear Ratio Rule in the V/TA cars?

I saw the spreadsheet on the rules and the sample for a 4.00:1 - but am a little confused.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

There is no fixed FDR, but the gear chart was left up as a courtesy in case you wanted to compare with other racers.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey

We built an RTR USVTA TC4 here in our shop for the shelf. The unfortunate thing was it sat here for over a year until it was sold. While it was a good concept for us, it didnt really pan out.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Not a "fixed" FDR. But 4.0 just seems to be the desired for our tracks. Some guys are in the 3's but most are 4.0 is all to keep temps good and performance good. We tell people to start at a 4.0 and work from there as they want
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

A 4 seems pretty fast for the class. Locally on the large track in Omaha they limit it to 5 and on our small track we are either going to use a 6 or 7. Haven't tried them out yet. I think a 7 may be a little slow but we shall see.

For the 4 minute race we had on Friday I was taken by surprise when I placed the battery on the charger and it still registered 4.1 volts per cell after the race! I only used 500 mAms! Should be able to go a whole race night on a 7 fdr!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

I'm running 4.07 and getting pulled down the straight by nearly everyone. I think a 7 will not serve you well here. Are you sure you have your internal ratio correct?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

New guy here with a couple questions for the VTA veterans.Is a TC5 a good choice?AE has them on their site for $199,seems like a pretty good price to get started with a car kit.I've built 2 kits many years ago,and want to build my car from a kit this time as well.

Is the FDR calculator setup for 48 or 64 pitch gears?The one I have has a test calculation with an Internal Ratio 2.0000,Spur 80,Pinion 40,FDR 4.000

Thanks for the help,Johnny
Old 10-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

TC5 can hang with the best, A TC4 can as well, that's part of the attraction of VTA. Last week a TC5 took 2nd overall. Fast lap was 17.01 and the TC5 was 17.5. In Omaha we all run 64 pitch and yes FDR = 5.0 as a house rule. It keeps the racing tight and puts a lot on the driver's skill. The current layout is a mix of short straights, 180s and some quick chicanes, we have a blast!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ez_rider91
New guy here with a couple questions for the VTA veterans.Is a TC5 a good choice?AE has them on their site for $199,seems like a pretty good price to get started with a car kit.I've built 2 kits many years ago,and want to build my car from a kit this time as well.

Is the FDR calculator setup for 48 or 64 pitch gears?The one I have has a test calculation with an Internal Ratio 2.0000,Spur 80,Pinion 40,FDR 4.000

I run a AE TC5R on a carpet track in VTA and it's been good for me. I bought straight from AE which I'm guessing you are looking at too. I'm using 100 spur (64 pitch) and 50 pinion to get a 4.0 FDR.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ez_rider91

yes...run box stock..its a good starting point...

good FDR for most USVTA cars is 4.0...at One Lug...that would be close as well...run it and check your temps

Im glad Bama is on the waggon too....that covers all the Southeast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.