U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
USGT!!!!.....It will be brought....and brung....then Taken!!!!
My quarter has been inserted, Player #1 Selected, so ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG .
Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i was just going thru and reading about the tekin stuff.
the place i race at allows tekins in the spec mode.and im here to tell ya there is no difference running the guy that has the novak esc.
same car..same gearing..same motor...same battery...and he still might be a smuge faster down the staright...
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morris
i was just going thru and reading about the tekin stuff.
the place i race at allows tekins in the spec mode.and im here to tell ya there is no difference running the guy that has the novak esc.
same car..same gearing..same motor...same battery...and he still might be a smuge faster down the staright...
its not all about top end, its about low end. the tekin has more powerful and efficient fets internally and will help on tight tracks. how much will it help, depends on the driver. if you are smooth with the trigger i doudt you would see much.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
An inexpensive, spec, non-timing ESC from Tekin would sell like hotcakes. They would be smart to get one out while this discussion is happening.
Yes, and put a big sticker on the front like a pack of cigarettes that says this package will give you the same results as a Tekin RS in blinky mode!

The only difference will be the $99.00 missing from your wallet.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
since you seem so knowledgable about the Tekin goof with v208 - then you know it was already resolved with v212...and you'd also know the ROAR approved v208 for usage THEN found out about the error...so the error wasn't solely on tekin - both parties were at fault...

and talk about beating a dead horse....There was a mistake made, and it was rectified quickly (within a week I believe, as I was a team driver during all this), so no need to bad mouth them any more then the bashing they are taking in the ROAR threads...
I'm not bad-mouthing anyone—it's factual information and the truth. They made a mistake (or not) and it has caused a lot of grief. There are some readers here who can't understand why they are not allowed. v208 or v212, it doesn't matter for a spec class. No track or race promoter should have to hook up EVERY car to a laptop to prove what software they are using. Simple as that. ROAR agrees.

Until Tekin gets in the game with their own true zero timing spec ESC that cannot be programmed, they won't be allowed in the USVTA or other spec classes. Again, that's pretty simple.

And I am not bashing Tekin. I have said before, I have used their electronics since 1984, and use them in every one of my cars except my Trans Am chassis. I stand by the product, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't completely disappointed in the v208 issues that surfaced.

End of story. Anyone who can't accept the facts should go race in another class and stop complaining about things they have no control over.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
USGT!!!!.....It will be brought....and brung....then Taken!!!!
thank you...as long as you hand it to me...it will look nice to the 3rd place I got last year

Originally Posted by smokefan
Robk will you be attending the Grand Slam race at Indy?
I will and bringing company...and not just the wifey and kids

Originally Posted by g12314
My quarter has been inserted, Player #1 Selected, so ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG .
more like Space Invaders....Im swooping in and destroy the competition

Originally Posted by byohnd
its not all about top end, its about low end. the tekin has more powerful and efficient fets internally and will help on tight tracks. how much will it help, depends on the driver. if you are smooth with the trigger i doudt you would see much.
my ankle...oh snap...he got the nail in

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
Yes, and put a big sticker on the front like a pack of cigarettes that says this package will give you the same results as a Tekin RS in blinky mode!

well if money is an issue, buy a Speed Passion Cirtix...use it and sell ot to me
Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by squarehead
I'm not bad-mouthing anyone—it's factual information and the truth. They made a mistake (or not) and it has caused a lot of grief. There are some readers here who can't understand why they are not allowed. v208 or v212, it doesn't matter for a spec class. No track or race promoter should have to hook up EVERY car to a laptop to prove what software they are using. Simple as that. ROAR agrees.

Until Tekin gets in the game with their own true zero timing spec ESC that cannot be programmed, they won't be allowed in the USVTA or other spec classes. Again, that's pretty simple.

And I am not bashing Tekin. I have said before, I have used their electronics since 1984, and use them in every one of my cars except my Trans Am chassis. I stand by the product, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't completely disappointed in the v208 issues that surfaced.

End of story. Anyone who can't accept the facts should go race in another class and stop complaining about things they have no control over.
yeah!!!! what he said
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

The dead horse is Tekins software V208 but now there's V212. Every time we talk about blinky mode Tekins software V208 is brought back up....
No dude, The dead horse is allowing the RS/ RS Pro is USVTA. That decision was made BEFORE the whole 208 thing, the 208 thing was just the nail in the coffin.

Originally Posted by Timbulb
An inexpensive, spec, non-timing ESC from Tekin would sell like hotcakes. They would be smart to get one out while this discussion is happening.
You got that shit right, Hey Tekin, you reading this!? God bless the RS but it isn't welcome everywhere and they are trying to close more doors on it daily, if you can't beat em ban em! Yea whatever...

Originally Posted by byohnd
Really? Can you actually prove this

Just tell me where I need send my $99...
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Again my complaint is these rules change all the time. 17.5 one year, 21.5 motor the next year, then half way thru the year Novak produces the ballistic 21.5 motor. I buy one those and now this year I need new speed controller, and a 25.5 motor to race, cmon..............
Rob K.

Oh, I know it's done. At least for this year. Good thing is based off previous years we'll have a new set of rules next year. I'll hang out in TC till then.

Cheers.....
If your complaint is RULES CHANGES you'd best clear the hell out of TC and straight into USVTA. The USVTA technical rules were absolutely stable (i.e. NO changes) for over 2 years. Further, the most recent change racers were given NINE MONTHS notice. In TC the weight has changed yearly, obsoleting a fair bit of equipment, and the bodies are being argued about right up until pretty much every major championship event. And more.

FURTHER, USVTA is a comparatively new class still and came into being right at the outset of major technological changes (the advent of brushless tech and LiPo tech) in how we race RC. Just like TC, changes had to be made at some point to accomodate these new technologies. That was the change that was effected in USVTA summer 2008. So no "point" awarded to either class in this regard.

And being a new class, I'd say USVTA can be allowed a little manipulation here and there to get the competitive balance where it oughta be. What the hell is TC's excuse for rules changes...that class has been around dog's years now, you'd think they'd get it figured out eventually

The dead horse is Tekins software V208 but now there's V212. Every time we talk about blinky mode Tekins software V208 is brought back up....
The programmable Tekin (and SPX, and BD, and Novak, and...get over it, it ain't just Tekin) was not going to be legal LOOOOONG before the v.208 "mistake" fiasco so that has nothing to do with it...it's a straw man argument. The reason the programmable esc's are not legal (again, NO ONE'S programmable esc) is as much perception as anything else. If everyone is running non-programmable esc's there's no need to look for blinky-dinky lights, no need to know everyone's blinky-winky secret flasher code, NO POSSIBILITY OF "MISTAKES", and no one perceives that the reason they got beaten is because someone had a super-pinky-blinky esc.

Get over it. Accept that certain equipment is or is not going to be accepted and either race the class or move on. No one is holding your feet to the fire. Either way, get your facts straight before you make arguments. You're debating from a position that demonstrates you've either been mis-informed, mis-understood something along the way, or are plain making stuff up to support your "premise".
Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

What Tekin's v.208 "mistake" fiasco HAS done is probably made some clubs re-think decisions where they WERE going to allow programmable esc's if they were in tinky-winky-blinky mode but saw that if a mfr. like Tekin can make a boo-boo what's to say no one else has made a similar faux-pas and changed their mind. Or racers make a "mistake", or.... Or at least it probably re-opened an acrimonious debate in these clubs.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

well...Im going to work now....so here is the skinny....

laptops are bad for r/c racing, as a whole(stock racing at least)

if you can program it, so can somebody else

Tekin isnt the only outlawed esc, Black Dimond got banned its 1st time out(Robk)

the esc's that are available, will not be a waste of money due to the fact that most ppl, even Tekin loyals, agree a sour taste about the blinky mode. So that should allow whatever esc you run in VTA to work in TC when and if you want to run something different.

the esc's on the VTA list are as cheap as $53 with warranty

before summer several other esc companies will be on the 2012 ROAR rules as well, the USVTA is just ahead of the curve.

thanks for listening....by the way...if you want to talk about coming around to race legal....

I have a Tekin RS, (4)GTB's, (2) Havok Pros, (2) LRP SPX( that I cant run, not even locally, cause Im a "fast" guy that why I had to BUY the freakin Tekin and the Havok)...and thats in TC or VTA

so lets see it this way....I spent $200 on a Tekin that Im selling for $100, 2 SPX's $200 for one $250 for the other that Ive be outlawed to run that are for sale as well, and $300 GTB(as a system new) that I ran in 3 different off-road classes...that until recent event wasnt worth anything...lol...

and guess what...IM HAPPY AS HE77....man I love the VTA class
Old 01-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Personally, I think we'd have a better chance of getting Rob to add the Mazda 6 speed to the USVTA approved bodies list before we could get the Tekin RS in the door...
Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

at least its a Mazda
Old 01-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
so lets see it this way....I spent $200 on a Tekin that Im selling for $100,

That's way too cheap, Used, The RS Pro will easily sell for $150- $160 and the RS will get $125 all day long, I'll guarantee it. Sell the Hotwire separate for $25.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
at least its a Mazda

Thats debatable too, just ask a "hobbyist"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.