Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHARLIE BROWN
which kind of motor do you all think has more kick ballistic or SS motors
Novak rates them with EXACTLY the same performance specs. I've run both in 1/12 (Stock and Superstock) and now in my VTA car and my "seat of the pants" evaluation would say I agree with them--I don't think there's a difference. Performance-wise.

The Ballistic is easier to adjust the timing, and is easier (unless you make marks on your SS) to repeat known timing settings.

For VTA it doesn't matter as much, but for my 1/12 cars the ability to use uber-flexible sensor bundles is the absolute reason for changing over, at least in my case.

The Ballistic has the ability to change over the stator assemblies so you can have multiple winds out with the same motor can. For some this is undoubtedly an advantage, particularly if budget is tight. I have a couple stator assemblies, but I always have enough motors for all the cars I might run in a given spec plus a spare in my box so the stators end up being kind of a non-issue for me...but they may be a perfect solution for other racers.

I also think the black/copper color scheme makes for the baddest-a$$ looking motors I've seen in my RC life, but that's PURELY individual preference.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

I've been smiling when reading the past couple of pages concerning motors and ESC's for VTA. I'm going to start putting mine together REAL soon now that most of the parts have arrived. TC3 factory chassis, Novak 21.5 Ballistic motor and Novak GTB Pro ESC #1711. Plus my body, 68 Camaro, wheels and tires were waiting for me when I got home from work today, (JOY!!!!!!). Now all I need is the steering servo and some batts and charger. Question who makes a good lipo 2-3000mah range? Don't want to buy cheap and have to upgrade later. I'm new to lipos and help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You can loon at the Orion 4000mah stick-pack hardcased lipo

I just got one from stormer for $55ish plus shipping

if it's not 100% roar legal now- it will be in short order . Don't think orion/peak would release anything that could t be roar-legal

Last edited by k_bojar; 04-11-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Bonehead and didn't read the post correctly
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trytowin
Question who makes a good lipo 2-3000mah range? Don't want to buy cheap and have to upgrade later. I'm new to lipos and help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Per the VTA series rules combined with the fact that many tracks/clubs are dependent upon ROAR for insurance many (most?) racing programs require any LiPo batteries used to be ROAR-approved. I was unable to find the approval list on the newly-revamped ROAR web site (I've e-mailed Dawn to make sure this gets corrected) but to my memory there are not any ROAR-approved 2-3000mah packs. There MIGHT be a 2400mah Chinese pack approved but it was one that has VERY limited distribution here.

There are several packs in the 3200-4000mah range that combine reasonable prices with ROAR-approval and acceptable performance.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Got to run September VTA rules at the club today with some interesting results....

I ran 22 laps for my best Qualifier in 17.5 RCGT rules, GTB esc.

I ran 21 laps for my best qualifier with a Havoc/25.5 SS combo at a 4.68 FDR (88/47 in 64 pitch)

Granted the track was very tight and techinical... i built it specifically to negate any speed advantage the newer guys think i have. However, it was crazy, at least to me, to see that there was only one lap difference today.

Next club outing i'll build the track fast and flowing and see what differences appear!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
Got to run September VTA rules at the club today with some interesting results....

I ran 21 laps for my best qualifier with a Havoc/25.5 SS combo at a 4.68 FDR (88/47 in 64 pitch)

Granted the track was very tight and techinical... i built it specifically to negate any speed advantage the newer guys think i have. However, it was crazy, at least to me, to see that there was only one lap difference today.

Next club outing i'll build the track fast and flowing and see what differences appear!

And the most fun laps we ran all day !!! This is one decision I won't regret. The return to VTA should be fun. Gotta go....the Shelby body awaits.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default VTA Batts

Thanks for the info, I'll go to my LHS and see what they have.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota

nice....we run 5min for VTA and 6min for TC/RCGT...but my car did 21/5:08 in VTA fast lap of 14.1 and for RCGT it did 26/6:07 with fast lap of 13.6....I run TC5's with box stock rubber car setup, and SPX on profile 2 and 4, & Novak motors...

It was a real blast getting a "W" in both classes....especially when you are racing against full blown TC cars on rubber and foam....with all the advance timming they can squeeze out of them...

the track layout plays a major role into the adv time esc's...

how was the racing for everybody this weekend...and who is getting ready for the Scale Nationals?....
Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
It was a real blast getting a "W" in both classes....especially when you are racing against full blown TC cars on rubber and foam....with all the advance timming they can squeeze out of them...

the track layout plays a major role into the adv time esc's...
hey battboy how much timing do you have in the ballistic? the full 45? someone had said that the old 21.5 started at 30 and had a 12 degree increase to 42 just wondering if I needed to get my dremel out and pull up the oval threads and use there trick

Last edited by nashrcracer; 04-14-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

April 25th will be the final trophy race of the season at the Big Rug....Featuring....VTA...RCGT....WGT....17.5/rubber....1/12th....Come on down up or over and help us end our season with a bang......

The Big Rug
at Marion County Fairgounds Raceway's in Indy

Website...
http://rcarassociation.org/index.html

Address...
7300 E Troy Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46239-1267(In the Big 4H Building)

Contact Numbers
Floyd Selzer
(President/RCAR Owner) (317) 850-RCAR (7227)
Kevin Cole
(Facility Manager/Track Operations) (765) 624-9768

Pennington's RC Hobby Shop (on site)
Bill Pennington
(Hobby Shop/RCAR Owner) (317) 402-1061

Our facility is a huge building offering carpet oval & on-road racing.It houses Pennington's RC Hobby Shop and a full service cafeteria.It is fully heated and has nice a dining area and restrooms.We use AMB scoring and have the new CRC ozite carpet.
R/CAR is a faith based organization that offers a family friendly envirement for quality RC racers/hobbyist and their families.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Where can I get the latest rules for running my TC3 in the VTA class. Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
hey battboy how much timing do you have in the ballistic? the full 45? someone had said that the old 12.5 started at 30 and had a 12 degree increase to 42 just wondering if I needed to get my dremel out and pull up the oval threads and use there trick
On my 17.5 car its in the middle....on my VTA car its on the 1st notch...Im running my RCGT/17.5 at 4.1 fdr and VTA 4.2 fdr

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
April 25th will be the final trophy race of the season at the Big Rug....Featuring....VTA...RCGT....WGT....17.5/rubber....1/12th....Come on down up or over and help us end our season with a bang......

The Big Rug
at Marion County Fairgounds Raceway's in Indy

Website...
http://rcarassociation.org/index.html

Address...
7300 E Troy Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46239-1267(In the Big 4H Building)

Contact Numbers
Floyd Selzer
(President/RCAR Owner) (317) 850-RCAR (7227)
Kevin Cole
(Facility Manager/Track Operations) (765) 624-9768

Pennington's RC Hobby Shop (on site)
Bill Pennington
(Hobby Shop/RCAR Owner) (317) 402-1061

Our facility is a huge building offering carpet oval & on-road racing.It houses Pennington's RC Hobby Shop and a full service cafeteria.It is fully heated and has nice a dining area and restrooms.We use AMB scoring and have the new CRC ozite carpet.
R/CAR is a faith based organization that offers a family friendly envirement for quality RC racers/hobbyist and their families.
I would have loved to make this race, but Ive already got resevations to the St Jude race in Memphis the same weekend....are you guys running any trophy races in the summer?....would love to make the trip this year...also post here when trophy or special events with VTA in it..cya

Originally Posted by t4mania
Where can I get the latest rules for running my TC3 in the VTA class. Thanks
here is the official website...most tracks run these rules with a little change in the esc rules...like no adv time/boost/turbo....or higher FDR

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

also the "NEW" National rules will change on Sept 2010...but all the info is on the web page under rules

good luck
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
On my 17.5 car its in the middle....on my VTA car its on the 1st notch...Im running my RCGT/17.5 at 4.1 fdr and VTA 4.2 fdr
ok anybody know what the first notch on a ballsitic 21.5 is degree wise?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
ok anybody know what the first notch on a ballsitic 21.5 is degree wise?
Here is the link to our list of Technical Updates:

Novak Technical Update List

On this list, you will see "Ballistic Motor Timing Information"; this is the link to a PDF file on Ballistic timing which includes an illustration of the timing marks and how to adjust timing.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There are no plans for another trophy race this year however on the northside of Indy they are running outdoor(parkinglot) racing all summer It gets a pretty good following plus if you wanted to make a weekend of it we are going to run at the big rug on friday nights thru out the summer and that way you would have saturday to take a look around town and then the parking lot races are on sundays....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.