Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
There is no programming port -- you program it via the receiver wire. It would just be a sticker change and "locking in" the existing older non-timing-advance firmware.

Then there's new part numbers, packaging, carrying inventory, distribution, etc., etc., etc.

Question is, why would they go through the trouble? They're selling the RS series faster than they can make them, and all of this timing advance hubbub will be a crazy memory in a year when all of the speedos are in the same realm of performance again. I think it was incredibly generous of them to come on here, listen to everyone, and offer to create a special firmware version, complete with a unique chime, basically just for VTA. But to ask them to create a new speedo, obsolete right out of the box, just for the class is pushing it IMO.

I understand everything you said. You have to take my post as a whole. The rules are not excluding any manufacturer, just listing current ESC that meet the rules.

Manufacturers are free to create a ESC that fits.

Rob- here is an idea, word the ESC rule differently.

Start with saying any non-timing/ non-programmable ESC is valid.
Currently these are the ones that meet this rule:
Approved ESCs:
Novak-
GTB series part numbers:1710, 1711
Havoc series part numbers:1732, 1733, 1735
Slyder part number: 1712
XBR (DISCONTINUED) part number:1720
LRP
A.i. Brushless Reverse part numbers: LRP80100, LRP80150
Old 01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
And its been well established that there's a ZERO percent chance of that happening
By whom? When? Even Randy Pike wouldn't say it "couldn't" happen. Zero is "couldn't", and the expert in the field wouldn't say that. At least not when this was mentioned in this thread. Elsewhere?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
By whom? When? Even Randy Pike wouldn't say it "couldn't" happen. Zero is "couldn't", and the expert in the field wouldn't say that. At least not when this was mentioned in this thread. Elsewhere?
In regards to the Tekin debate and letting the RS in period.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

And its been well established that there's a ZERO percent chance of that happening
Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

In regards to the Tekin debate and letting the RS in period.
Ahh...Roger that. Since Randy (understandably) didn't seem overly inclined to jump on the "no access to programmming, no timing advance" bandwagon with the RS I'd agree that zero chance probably sums it up.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hogmansp
A guy at the track updated his car for the new driver rule and was wondering if this was legal?

Now THAT is funny!!!!! My family is wondering if I've lost my mind.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

had a good day of VTA racing. took a bit to get something out of the ballistic. Played with the timing on the motor, and kept my timing on the ESC in a VTA friendly setting. Seems when I set the motor to 10 degrees positive timing (2 hashes over), and went to an FDR in the 5.0 area versus the mid to low 4s (VTA legal of course), it seemed to really awaken the motor.

Does the Ballistic perform better with a higher timing setting and larger numder FDR?

My next question, a setup one, on the track I am getting alot of wheel chatter, as well as some traction rolling when I let off too much on the sweeper. I am thinking of stiffening up the front end a bit to see if that helps. Any other suggestions or recommendations for this. If I can clear up the chattering and traction rolling issue, I think my vehicle woulde be spot on.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cain
My next question, a setup one, on the track I am getting alot of wheel chatter, as well as some traction rolling when I let off too much on the sweeper. I am thinking of stiffening up the front end a bit to see if that helps. Any other suggestions or recommendations for this. If I can clear up the chattering and traction rolling issue, I think my vehicle woulde be spot on.

Cain...for real...invest the $15 or whatever in the XXX-Main TC setup book. I guarantee it will show you the potential causes of what you describe (and make you think in a very orderly fashion about what you're seeing) and give you 4 (or more) solutions to the "problem" in order of precedence.

Beyond this individual "challenge" (and there will be more, nature of the beast) the book will teach you a LOT more about how the car works in general and what forces are acting upon it in various situations on the track. You're spending money on these like a drunk sailor on shore leave anyway this would be the best payback (in terms of performance) $15 you spent.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day, TEACH a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Take a look at "real" racing. The hands down two most successful racing series' on the planet, Formula One and (shudder) NASCAR, are BOTH dictatorships in the truest sense of the word. NEITHER offer the racers (or car owners) any "vote" in what will and will not happen...ever. They'll listen to input (for a while), but they make decision without any votes whatsoever. Why? Because the leadership in both are VERY aware that racers pretty much NEVER know what's in their best long-term interests. CART was owner-driven, and look what happened to them. Ad infinitum.

Take, for example, NASCAR introducing the COT over STRENUOUS objections from the teams. Quack quack quack...look ugly...quack quack quack...don't handle well...quack quack quack...all our old notes out the window...quack quack quack. But you know what? A few years into the COT era they STILL have more teams showing up to race than they have pit spaces to accomodate them. Same with Formula One...every rules package change elicits the same noise about it being the end of the world as we know it, yet every year teams line up to pay HUGE money to participate in the largest motorsports audience in the world.

See...isn't it excellent to have options?

Have fun!!
Some of us remember we are playing with toy cars and aren't on a team with millions of dollars for backing. It's a little different when most people show up to race toy cars sponsored by their wallet, not Budweiser or Dupont. I race alot and have never seen 100,000 people in the stands to watch. For most of us (some do make a living at it) this is a hobby, not a career. When Jeff Gordon gets behind the wheel, that is his lively hood, when I go to race a toy, I am simply filling a Saturday morning with something to do. So how about comparing apples to apples. No offense to Robk, but I would not equal his importance to that of NASCAR's governing body. When a VTA race can draw a crowd in numbers that big, I might reconsider, but until then I am able to keep things in perspective.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Great...another double post.

Sorry.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Lenman73
Some of us remember we are playing with toy cars and aren't on a team with millions of dollars for backing. It's a little different when most people show up to race toy cars sponsored by their wallet, not Budweiser or Dupont. I race alot and have never seen 100,000 people in the stands to watch. For most of us (some do make a living at it) this is a hobby, not a career. When Jeff Gordon gets behind the wheel, that is his lively hood, when I go to race a toy, I am simply filling a Saturday morning with something to do. So how about comparing apples to apples. No offense to Robk, but I would not equal his importance to that of NASCAR's governing body. When a VTA race can draw a crowd in numbers that big, I might reconsider, but until then I am able to keep things in perspective.
If you choose to ignore the entire point for the purpose of a weak literal comparison, I guess that's your priviledge.

What's your "perspective" on this? Fact is, successful racing bodies don't "vote" on rules changes...even "toy car" racing bodies. Do you recall ROAR ever taking a vote on rules changes? I sure don't and I've been a member since '86. Do they listen to input? Absolutely. But when it's time to make the rules they make the decision among the leadership. The only place anyone votes on rules in "toy car" racing is at clubs and local tracks. Here's a bulletin...NONE of the classes ANY of these clubs or local tracks have "voted on" have ever EVER had the longevity or long term influence ROAR has. So what's your literal interpretation of that?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are you going to post this in the other VTA thread also? And being a proud member of roar maybe you know the answer to this, are the rules made by one person or a board of many?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

I believe that Rob based his decision on feedback provided my several people.
While I agree that a vote on several different options would have been nice, I have NO problem with his decision as long as he sticks to his decision. I personally would like for him to come out and say that the rules are "locked in" for a minimum of 2 yrs with no major changes. Just my .o2
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Cain...for real...invest the $15 or whatever in the XXX-Main TC setup book. I guarantee it will show you the potential causes of what you describe (and make you think in a very orderly fashion about what you're seeing) and give you 4 (or more) solutions to the "problem" in order of precedence.

Beyond this individual "challenge" (and there will be more, nature of the beast) the book will teach you a LOT more about how the car works in general and what forces are acting upon it in various situations on the track. You're spending money on these like a drunk sailor on shore leave anyway this would be the best payback (in terms of performance) $15 you spent.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day, TEACH a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.
+1 Here's a link to the XXX Main Chassis Set up book

http://www.xxxmain.com/bookz.shtml

Also you can download Xrays set up guild for free. It's also very informative and easy to understand.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=2525
Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Cain...for real...invest the $15 or whatever in the XXX-Main TC setup book. I guarantee it will show you the potential causes of what you describe (and make you think in a very orderly fashion about what you're seeing) and give you 4 (or more) solutions to the "problem" in order of precedence...
It is a very helpful book, with one notable exception: It does NOT address the issue of traction roll. I even talked to Martin Crisp (the guy who wrote it) at Cleveland and he said he'd learned some things about carpet racing since then. For traction roll, the way to correct it goes against what you would naturally think. Go softer with your suspension, either with softer springs or by leaning the shocks in at a steeper angle. You actually want the chassis to lean more so that it doesn't transfer so much weight to the outside tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.