U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justanotherdude
IMHO it would be neat if Vintage TransAm Racing was exactly that.
instead of the latest and greatest TC platform, that something truely vintage (plastic pans) that was not a new release had to be used. old cars finding new homes.
instead of fighting over the latest LiPO power available, I'd suggest that NiMHs will be around for quite a while longer.
instead of adopting the lastest and greatest ESC and BL mill, go back to using vintage electronics. it is not like the supply has dried up.
and go back to the true spirit and appeal of vintage racing, keep the "technology" out if it, and not just hope to get by on the vintage "look" that really is as you said "a TC class with brick shaped bodies."

-just my 2-cents
FWIW you can put it back in your pocket too.

You obviously didn't race in those days. Trust me, brushless and Lipo is much cheaper. Brushless motors and Lipos are the best thing that ever happened to this hobby so far. There's a reason nobody pisses around with round cells and brushed motors anymore.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Randy, I would like to see a solution for Tekin RS owners also. After spending many races as a non- competitive/also ran GTB owner with no timing advance I just ordered my RS for VTA and will be picking it up Monday to install in my VTA car.

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Anyone want to answer the "post" that the Prez put up?

I would like to see Tekin involved with all forms of R/C competition. We can work something out to allow the Rs to be ran.

Locking out racers based off of equipment they already purchased and force them to spend more on parts/equipment is generally the wrong direction to take.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just a small distraction from the rules discussion...

Attended the R/CAR New Years race in Indy today. They had about 30 VTA guys and lots more in other classes. Great facility. Kind people. Kick ass chili dogs.

If you're near Indy, check out The Big Rug.

Now back to the dick-punching...
Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We could easily make some easy techable software that had it's own light/led sequence or special chime sequence to just by turning on the unit and allowing it to arm you/tech officials would know it was running the "legal" non boosting software.

183 software is non boosting, non turbo'd version and is on par with the speedo's currenlty legal.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
for me personally, if the tekin's could have a firmware setup to be legal, I wouldn't mind seeing speed passion do the same too. Or create an ESC or something.

Anyway, USVTA has to do what they feel they go to do. For those of us who want to keep with the old style rules, it may be the class at our areas turn into ROAR style VTA, of course, till that changes.

As a side question, how much of a performance difference are people seeing between motors on the same non-timing advanced ESCs?? I guess to me at least, I am wondering if now we limit to non-timing ESCs, is there much different from motor to motor to still warrant keeping other manufacturers out?

This is based on performance differences I have seen in just Novak Ballistics versus other ballistics, so based on that I am curious is there all that much difference between the motors without the timing advance?
If you are pertaining to the new rule, 25.5 motor...there are none other then Novak. You can compare the SS vs Ballastic, but I am sure NOVAK can provide a better data backup between these 2 motors. Since there are no other brand of 25.5 on the market, your question is no longer need to be concerned.

IF....you are talking about 21.5 and higher turn, yes, there are different, BUT in my opinion, it is not as a big deal compare to the speed control software/firmware. I was using my 3 years old 1st gen SP 13.5 compare to my brand new V3 13.5....hands down the new one is faster and cooler, but the old 13.5 is NOT like a full second behind per lap. Hince, the different between brand should be very minimal.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The bottom line is the esc list is going to stay the way it is. The escs on the list have no advance timing, and are not externally programmable. I want to keep it to speedos which cannot be externally reprogrammed. This is not a reflection on anything except the fact that these escs fit the bill.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
The bottom line is the esc list is going to stay the way it is. The escs on the list have no advance timing, and are not externally programmable. I want to keep it to speedos which cannot be externally reprogrammed. This is not a reflection on anything except the fact that these escs fit the bill.
So even if Tekin were to create a new non adjustable brushless esc they wouldn't have a place in VTA? Lets face it VTA is a huge class and Tekin is a major player, I'm sure they will be willing to create something new that could be made legal.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
So even if Tekin were to create a new non adjustable brushless esc they wouldn't have a place in VTA? Lets face it VTA is a huge class and Tekin is a major player, I'm sure they will be willing to create something new that could be made legal.
I would like to here a response on this. I like Tekin's products and would like to see a solution to this matter.Right now as the rules look it is almost like novak is the official motor/speed control combo of VTA. The class locally looked like so much fun I bought a used car and was getting ready to race( not that this will matter locally as tracks can go with the rules they chose)
Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Maybe Novaks our new corporate sponser...
Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

make a new VTA-specific BL ESC?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

+1
Old 01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Regional Moderator

Simple... a new model name/decal, V183 firmware (with a new chime). Instant VTA speedo.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Simple... a new model name/decal, V183 firmware (with a new chime). Instant VTA speedo.
RS Spec? But would it get approval?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Better yet I bet the rs would fit inside a GTB case would it be legal then?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Tekins at the top of their game and if you think they don't wanna be a part of this market then your a fool. They've already expressed interest in this thread, did you miss those post?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.