Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool My Shell Body

I dont have a cool driver but here is something I put together with Fizz cans and a decal machine. I race in Maryland at The Track in Gaithersburg..........

Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Shell body is great.

On another note I tried welding lexan today. I used a scrap of lexan like a welding rod, and a screwdriver heated up with a torch to apply it. Now Im wondering if scraps of lexan would go through a glue gun.

It's one way to tack the nose of those cuda back together. No it doesn't look good.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
The Shell body is great.

On another note I tried welding lexan today. I used a scrap of lexan like a welding rod, and a screwdriver heated up with a torch to apply it. Now Im wondering if scraps of lexan would go through a glue gun.

It's one way to tack the nose of those cuda back together. No it doesn't look good.
you can also ues Shoe Goo and reinforcing tape . It works Great
Old 09-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I also have been thinking about this for a while, and I'm going to add it to the rules-"All cars must have a driver figure consisting of at least the head and shoulders".

I want to keep promoting the scale looks of the cars, and I want to keep the excitement factor up there, as it has been in the past. Guys like Rick Vessel, who added sound and a Firebird nose to his car, or Chip from Al's hobbies who built a convertible for last years nats are examples of realism and race readiness.
I understand your point and the concept, but I think this should stay a suggestion-not a rule. It is very cool to see for those who want to spend the time and money to add an interior, but I think keeping strict on the bodies/wheels/tires allowed and the vintage style paint jobs is enough to keep USVTA unique compared to other classes.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree. I doubt you can even see the drivers in the cars when they're on the track. Keep this stuff an option for those who want to win a concourse.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I dont have a cool driver but here is something I put together with Fizz cans and a decal machine. I race in Maryland at The Track in Gaithersburg..........

Lovely, Just Lovely....I also dig the number placement on the front fender....good stuff manG....
Old 09-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

the list grows....

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/tracks/index.html
Old 09-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racer X79
I understand your point and the concept, but I think this should stay a suggestion-not a rule. It is very cool to see for those who want to spend the time and money to add an interior, but I think keeping strict on the bodies/wheels/tires allowed and the vintage style paint jobs is enough to keep USVTA unique compared to other classes.
+1. Is this really necessary? I am horrible with any kind of scale modeling (and I can't paint, hence the reason my RC bodies have only had single color paint jobs) and I can't imagine how I'm ever going to do this if it becomes mandatory.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X79
I think keeping strict on the bodies/wheels/tires allowed and the vintage style paint jobs is enough to keep USVTA unique compared to other classes.
Just how "strict" have we been on the "vintage" style paint jobs (what I call "period authentic"?. Take a look at the "Shell" car pictured on this very page. Don't get me wrong, someone has done a very nice job creating an unquestionably eye-catching scheme...but it ain't anything near "period authentic" / "vintage".

I would 100% embrace requiring a driver figure. It wasn't ALL that long ago that you had to have a painted interior tray / driver in ALL ROAR classes was it? The great thing about an interior tray (as has been mentioned before) is that they really last pretty much forever...just move 'em from body to body.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Just how "strict" have we been on the "vintage" style paint jobs (what I call "period authentic"?. Take a look at the "Shell" car pictured on this very page. Don't get me wrong, someone has done a very nice job creating an unquestionably eye-catching scheme...but it ain't anything near "period authentic" / "vintage".
true but its not anything like all the tribal/ flames/ whatever that is so popular right now.

im all for scale for this class id have no problem running a driver figure.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Vintage TA decals

Does anyone know where everybody is getting the meatball stickers for the Vintage TA numbers? I've looked everywhere and can't find them anywhere. I like the HPI sheet that was posted earlier in this thread but have yet to find them for sale anywhere.

Please help.

Thanks,
JG
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Cool

I agree that this is not a period paint job. I am a professional RC Painter and just wanted to show one of my favorite realistic paint jobs. The period paint jobs were so plain its just not my cup of tea.............Stripes mostly.
As far as the driver in the car I think it would be neat but getting them to stay in the car and changing them from body to body could just make the already high price of a body too high for some. I keep hearing this saying in my head....
K.I.S.S
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

The less complicated the rules the better, I always say..........
Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

True its more like a paint job that "could have" been done in that time.

I would 100% embrace requiring a driver figure. It wasn't ALL that long ago that you had to have a painted interior tray / driver in ALL ROAR classes was it? The great thing about an interior tray (as has been mentioned before) is that they really last pretty much forever...just move 'em from body to body
I would 40% embrace it. I think its neat and should be encouraged, but I dont think it should be required on the National rule set. If it catches on it will happen anyway. That said I plan on buying every tray I can find so I can pick my favorite. The wife has already caught me fitting the F201 with a Snoopy bobble head.

I realize that there are people on here who have seen this class from the start and the whole time the vision for it has been as a scale model of an actual VTA race. I also recognize that the class has gained a lot of popularity because of its theme. However there has to be a point where a good bulk of the people racing VTA are going to say,"I'm into it, but I'm not THAT into it." And I cant say if this is that point or not.
I think if a few racers do trays and everyone likes them then the whole club will try to find trays. Without being required to do so. JMHO
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redmike76
Originally Posted by jgraham37128
Does anyone know where everybody is getting the meatball stickers for the Vintage TA numbers? I've looked everywhere and can't find them anywhere. I like the HPI sheet that was posted earlier in this thread but have yet to find them for sale anywhere.

Please help.

Thanks,
JG
That is where I've gotten mine.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_2040-2.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

i would say less then %30 of VTA rc car owners/racers...were alive during the real thing or old enough to really be a fan

KISS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.