Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wallyworld is referring to the 3 Rivers Festival VTA race in Ft. Wayne, IN tomorrow - Sat. July 11, 2009. Here is a link to their website (http://www.trfonline.org/component/e...egoryevents/13)
Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

To Ray Murray:

Just out of curiosity, what's with the huge TC style wings on the "vintage" Trans-Am bodied cars? Is that a separate class, or do you guys allow those to run? Thought they weren't permitted by USVTA rules. Like I said, just curious, because it really throws the scale looks off.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
To Ray Murray:

Just out of curiosity, what's with the huge TC style wings on the "vintage" Trans-Am bodied cars? Is that a separate class, or do you guys allow those to run? Thought they weren't permitted by USVTA rules. Like I said, just curious, because it really throws the scale looks off.
I'm blind! I looked at those pictures and didn't notice it myself. Looks like none of the wings are painted and were causing optical dilusions on my part. They are running Vettes and big rear wings. Might be good for their track to get racers to participate, but might make it hard for them to take the show on the road per the rules. At least they are getting a regular turnout.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

IIRC they run nitro vintage trans am and they allow clear wings only in that class...
Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
IIRC they run nitro vintage trans am and they allow clear wings only in that class...
Very cool.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

To Ray Murray:

Jimmy - for our Nitro Vintage class, we allow the wings as long as a) they remain clear; b) not outlandish like you'd see on dirt oval car; and c) don't distract from the theme of the class
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

To Ray Murray:

Those nitro VTA cars can haul some serious toochie. Without those wings, the sweeper would be a dangerous place to marhsall, no less to spectate also!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The clear wings are actually a good idea for the nitro cars. I have tried a 13.5 on carpet with VTA tires, so I don't know how they are doing it with any type of horsepower in a nitro car.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Great day of racing at the Three Rivers Festival Vintage Trans-Am race in Ft. Wayne. Check out the front page of www.summitrcraceway.com for race results and photos from race day.
The festival plans to make this an annual event of the Three Rivers Festival so watch for the date of next years race.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Those nitro VTA cars can haul some serious toochie. Without those wings, the sweeper would be a dangerous place to marhsall, no less to spectate also!
Yes, that's pretty much the idea behind them.

Even though our Nifty Fiftys lot is on the smaller side, keeping them "as planted as possible" will make it safer for all concerned....

Also, keeping them clear, makes them barely noticable when they're cruising around the track, so the scale looks aren't too comprimized....
Old 07-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by S.Heath
Great day of racing at the Three Rivers Festival Vintage Trans-Am race in Ft. Wayne. Check out the front page of www.summitrcraceway.com for race results and photos from race day.
The festival plans to make this an annual event of the Three Rivers Festival so watch for the date of next years race.
Nice job with your race!!!! I'm sure the "ooooh and ahhhh" factor was high at your event!

Saw your pics....very nice.....
Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

How was your VTA racing this past weekend?

Friday - VTA at Indy Slots in Indianapolis/Beech Grove had lighter turn-outs, but still had a solid turn-out. A number of the regulars were prepping for the Ft. Wayne race.

Saturday - VTA at the 3 Rivers Festival in Ft. Wayne saw 24 racers. 2-8th in the A-main were qualified within 8 seconds of each other. The main saw great racing between 2-4th the entire race.

Sunday - VTA at Hobbytown Indy North had 11 entries. Had a few racers come down from the Chicago area and show us the fast line. Great racing in the A-main with a lot of close battles on the track.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
Just as I predicted, the ringers are coming out of the woodwork
robk, did you forget to have that talk with brad?
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Saturday - VTA at the 3 Rivers Festival in Ft. Wayne saw 24 racers. 2-8th in the A-main were qualified within 8 seconds of each other. The main saw great racing between 2-4th the entire race.
in related festival news, brad hit a triple and 2 grand slams in sunday's youth tee ball game. (brad was allowed to play on the technicality that the term 'youth' is subjective).
Old 07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
in related festival news, brad hit a triple and 2 grand slams in sunday's youth tee ball game. (brad was allowed to play on the technicality that the term 'youth' is subjective).
On page two of the Festival news......Seaball was banned from the same game due to the terms of his parole and could only watch from the internet.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe somebody can help me fill in the blanks, but here is the finishing order/body type/car type from the 3 Rivers Festival Ft. Wayne race. A pretty good mix of chassis and bodies from what I recall.

1. Brad Johnson - HPI Camaro/??
2. John Kissel - HPI Cuda/??
3. Kevin Kane - Pegasus Mustang/??
4. Cody Woods - Pegasus Mustang/FT TC4
5. Greg Cobb - Pegasus Mustang/TC5r
6. Kevin Marcy - ??/??
7. Phil Zimmerman - ??/??
8. Carlos Perez - HPI Mustang/??
9. Brian Smith - HPI Cuda/TC3
10. Ben Freiburger - HPI Camaro/??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.