Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
NO....I will say this that all the debate about speedo and advanced timming has been solved...on our end of the world anyway...we ran every combo out there incl the new LRP SXX,SPX,Speed Passion,GTB,Havok, ect...and ran them all at the same rpm and WOW!...it does require speeding some $$$$, but the results eliminate all the BS....we even had a guy that his 17.5 jammed up on him and allowed him to run a 13.5...and fixed his speed with the devise as well...FAIR,FUN,CHEAP....best saying you could have racing TRANS-AM R/C CARS

check it out

http://coolspringsracing.com/Rules.html

also updated info on the Trans-am 24hr Scale Enduro...addition $100 has been added...

http://www.nashrcracer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3749
Thanks but I was asking if anybody was breaking anything on the 21.5 option. What are guys doing? Are you tuning everybody down to a certain RPM with a dyno?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Thanks but I was asking if anybody was breaking anything on the 21.5 option. What are guys doing? Are you tuning everybody down to a certain RPM with a dyno?
yeah, let me pull out the Myron decoder ring....

the race director got a motor tester and we were playing w/ it on the spx profiles vs gtb. The quick concusion was to limit the max motor rpm to 19k. More testing was done yesterday/race day and it's still being ironed out what is fair....as even on the lower spx profiles you still get some form of timing advance. so more testing is to be done but the race dir wants to prevent the new speedos from taking over....having an unfair advantage. I have to agree w/ the race dir, though I own 2 spx's they are a definite advantage, IMO.

If you need all that fancy stuff, we have a TC class! lol.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

to address your question snoop... I personally haven't noticed any more breakage running my 21.5 over the motor combos I've ran. Bout the same...which means I still need to improve! I'm running tc4s which have weak front ends but I put the big ole parma bumper on the front which saves me tons of c-hub/front arms!
Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

yeah thats what I meant to say/type..lol...but no I havent had a problem with breakage at all with any of the combos...TC3 or TC5.....its nice to slow this class down even more...I really think the dyno thing will really keep the racing very even...It was good at first, but with all the new speedos coming out..its hard to keep it fair.....

FYI...if you are running a LRP SPX in VTA..be kind to other racers and run it on profile 4-6...especially if everyone else is running gtb's or older esc's...

I ran mine on 4 this weekend and it was dead on with Speedster GTB...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

OK so if I come up there should I go 4/27 or Lipo 21.5? It sounds like some are using 6/27 or even 6/17.5 are you equalizing them with RPM and FDR?
OK if I drive to Nashville someone will help get legal right?

If you see some dark headed guy in a Snoopy T-shirt with a lost look on hid face thats me. Dirla knows me.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

I had a GTB that I sold for less than it was worth because I wanted a friend to have it. That guy never raced it and kept it about a week before selling it to another local here. Now all I have is an older TC spec. I guess I could go 4cell/17.5.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

OK so if I come up there should I go 4/27 or Lipo 21.5? It sounds like some are using 6/27 or even 6/17.5 are you equalizing them with RPM and FDR?
OK if I drive to Nashville someone will help get legal right?

If you see some dark headed guy in a Snoopy T-shirt with a lost look on hid face thats me. Dirla knows me.
Any of these will work...

27t/4cell
27t/lipo/6cell
17.5/4cell
17.5/lipo/6cell
21.5/lipo

we run them all and I promise you...there are all the same...now dont get me wrong...some different 17.5's have more "HUMF" than others...but we regulate to keep it even...you will have a good time...

we are trying to open the door a little bit to help some of the lost on-road racers to help them fit in with what they have for now...let them run what they have and get hooked...that way they wont mind buying that Novak 21.5 later...cya hope this helps
Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Anyone have a good asphalt setup for a Pro4 for VTA? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by or8ital
Anyone have a good asphalt setup for a Pro4 for VTA? Thanks.
Had to look for it ...but this is a good thread to get help on it

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post5943976
Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

RACE REPORT...........

June 14th Points Race at Hobby Lobby....

how about that weather?...seems like rain was going to do a number on us once again...with the forecast going from 0% to 50%..it seemed like asphalt was out of the equation....but it was decided to push ahead and race...maybe Tim knows a little more about the weather than the news guys..hummm

I was running a little late with my arrival around 10:30 am...but the guys had most of the track laid out and the setup was complete...they made us a short track...6-10sec laps...WOW!....I wasnt thrilled at 1st...but a different layout each race is promised and thats what we got...and besides..if you want something different..GET THERE EARLY for help ,setup and opinion...thats what I learned...but the layout was just as nice as always and it was open enough that the Jr TA kids made good laps as well

After sign-ups we had A and B TA and 6 TCR and 6 Jr TA...a lite turn-out but with the threat of rain most thought to not make it...boy were they wrong...we had a drivers meeting to talk about all the up-coming races and events..and the schedule change for BTH 2009...

for the 1st quals we changed up the order by letting the TA classes go first ..which made the JR's last...I ran my trusty TC3 for the 1st heat and TQ'd with no problem...but kind of a problem emerged as our laps were way off...the cpu gave us all DOUBLE time...so 6 sec laps turned into 12..but it all worked out with a little adjustment...Rodney and Donald came in 2nd and 3rd..in the 2nd class of TA ...returning Tommy and Hayden laid down 1st and 2nd with Alex pulling in 3rd...for TCR it seemed a showdown between Dirla and Donald was starting to brew...but a well stripped spur gear put Dirla out of heat 1...this left Tim,Stuart and Brad to take top spots..of yeah Donald and I both had technical problems that took us of the track for a period of time....the Jr Ta class saw the rubber match between Spidey and Daniel get off to a nice start with both drivers
showing the experience of past champions...by trading spots and pushing each other to drive harder and faster...Spidey may have pushed to hard cause after taking the lead for about 4-5 laps at the half way mark...he broke it.... allowing newbie JR TA racer Reid take the lead and win followed by Daniel and Baby....

at the start of round 2...my trusty TC3 failed me within...my Novak GTX seemed to have shut down..with no other option but to run my TC5...with no tire gu,half charged pack and no practice laps..this was tough. Still finished 2nd behind Rodney, but only 0.682 in front of Donald...whew! Tommy,Hayden and Alex all finished in the same spot...Donald and Dirla finally got to do a little dance...burning the short track with 5.6 sec laps and 0.736 difference ...with Donald taking 1st..Tim pulled out the 3rd spot...the Jr's took center stage for this round with Daniel jumping out the gate to hold 1st place 33 out of the 34 laps...with Spidey and Baby pulling in 2nd and 3rd...

3rd round looked alot like #2...Rodney reset TQ for Pro TA,Tommy reset Sportsman TA with Alex finishing on the same lap..Dirla,Donald and Stuart took top 3..in TCR...I had a good run but my battery got knocked
out..grabbed 2nd place for a while ....the Jr class put Daniel ,Spidey, and Ried on top 3...great run guys...

as for the Mains....

with Tommy and Alex bumping up to PRO TA...that left Bobby to put in his best run of the day....finishing 1st with Tim in 2nd and WW in 3rd...Pro TA saw a changing in the guard with Donald/TQ finally taking a win in TA...thats what good rivals do....lol...great race TQ..just remember 1.5 seconds is a good number to remember...I lead from lap 2 to lap 40 ish..but a couple of mistakes with 8 second laps can cost you when the person you are racing turns constant 6 sec laps..I settled into 2nd with Rodney pulling in 3rd...it seems that the mains are needing your love Rodney..great run also....TCR seemed to have this WTH feel to it ..I finally finshed a TCR race...spent most of the race in 3rd spot..watching and sometimes chasing Dirla and Donald...Dirla pulled out a very good race agaist Donald...wish we could have recorded it..the JR TA class turned in another cant miss race...it was a battle all day long among the 6 racers but when the dust settled Daniel had pulled out another win...he is the 1st repeat champion to take the belt home and a $20 gft certificate from Hobby Lobby...he will hold on to it until JUNE 28th..when he will defend his title agaist the best JR r/c class in racing....TRANS-AM

i WOULD LIKE TO THANKS ALL THE RACERS AND PARENTS THAT CAME
OUT EVEN WITH THE POSSIBLE SHOWER IN THE FORECAST...BTW..NOT A DROP OF RAIN...I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE PRIZES AND GIFTS

HOPE TO SEE YOU GUYS ON THE NEXT ONE...JUNE 28TH
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-transam_racing_schedule_for_summer_2009.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ok you guys are the perfect bunch to answer this question. When I was racing TC I was getting sick of taking my car home in a bag. George making comments about me turning it back into a kit. I had found that when I started VTA, on the 4/27t option, I just wasnt breaking as many parts. Heck I wasnt breaking anything.

Ok what I want to know is, Has anyone noticed more wear and tear on their cars with the 21.5 lipo option? Or more breakage with 21.5 as compared to the four cell powerplant?
We're a small club that is now growing based on the change to VTA and RCGT(using VTA rules). Right now we have roughly half of us using 21.5/Lipo and others using 27t/4cell. We run twice per month for the last 4 months or so and I can't recall one broken part on anyones car that had anything to do with motor combos.In fact, I can only recall 1 broken arm at all ! Given that at least half of us are new/newer drivers and there's a fair share of crunches....I'd have to say we're VERY pleased with the VTA motor rules. For me this is such a great change from stock class TC racing. Way more fun and alot less keeping up with the Jones's. As for tires I was just commenting during our last outing how unbelievably well the vintage tires lasted. I have yet to replace my first set and theres still alot of tread left. Then again...maybe i'm a freakin genius at setup !!! NOT !!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Evo is right, the only thing i have broken so far (knock on wood) is a diff screw. But Pro4's are known for that until you switch over to the TC3 diff screw mod.

Tire wear has been excellent as well, for both the vintage tires and the x-patterns we use for RCGT.

I'm running the 21.5/Lipo and couldn't be happier!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

USVTA Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/US-Vin...ng/91556229573

I'm going to put up the events over there as an easy way to set up a calendar.

check it out!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Hurricane All-Star Carpet Series info....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...et-series.html

Here is the thread for the Hurricane All-Star Carpet Series.....

And our Facebook Page....
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hurric...s/102677532856
Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Evoracer
We're a small club that is now growing based on the change to VTA and RCGT(using VTA rules).
Are you saying that you are running a sports car class that implements RCGT shells and tires and then goes by USVTA powerplant options? I have been wanting to do that for two years! Where are you guys Im moving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.