Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

VTA points series in SE Michigan! The track I raced at just this past sunday started their points series last night - there were 11 official entries and 1 unoffical (read: 2s, 17.5 car, not counting towards points) entry in the class last night. Seemed to be good times - I kept my third position in the A-Main because the driver challenging me was laughing too hard on the stand to drive fast (take em how you can get em - thanks Mike! )
1st place was a Cuda, Losi XXX-s running a 2s/21.5
2rd place was a Mustang, XRay 007 running a 4cell/27turn
3rd place was a Camaro(me) running a 4cell/27turn

the winner of the B main had a Tamiya of some sort running 2s/21.5

The track on sunday didn't have a huge straight, but the new layout, where nearly half your laptime was spent on the straight in this class, it was painfully obvious that the 21.5 guys were head and shoulders faster. I joked with one guy that I dreaded the day he could keep the car off the boards, because we wouldn't be catching him if he did...

Fun time. contemplating a 21.5 already though as a very clean run was almost a full lap off the pace... Have to check my drivetrain though as a 5.47 came off @ 200 degrees in my car and a 5.4 in a friends came off around half that
Old 04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It's really no big deal. Every track needs to do what's right for them and there are tons of such rule variations across the country. I just personally don't think it's a good thing to start excluding racers because of a major piece of their equipment. If I'm sitting at the tech table and someone comes in underweight before their race I don't have a problem sending them back to their pits for some lead. But to tell them that now they have to go drop $100+ on a new ESC to be allowed to compete in a class that was supposed to be inexpensive?

What about those racing 416s and 009s in VTA? Ban chassis less than 4 years old?

There's no end to it -- just look at any spec class. Go to a TCS race where things are as spec as they get and you'll see just as big a difference in performance between various cars there. The difference is that the speed comes from black magic, unconventional tuning techniques not known to everyone (by a long shot), and dare I say increased temptation to cheat. At least with the speedos the speed is available to anyone who wants to go out and buy it.

Of course the fast guys are always going to be the fast guys as races are won in the corners, not on the straights. I would wager that you will not see a significant change in finishing order after the ban.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
cool the memphis track banned adjustable timing speedos from the TA class!
I dont think this is completely accurate.

At least I hope not.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
1st place was a Cuda, Losi XXX-s running a 2s/21.5
2rd place was a Mustang, XRay 007 running a 4cell/27turn
3rd place was a Camaro(me) running a 4cell/27turn
Only one explanation for this, that Cuda was the only one running 21.5/lipo because we all know that 27t/4cell can't compete.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Of course the fast guys are always going to be the fast guys as races are won in the corners, not on the straights. I would wager that you will not see a significant change in finishing order after the ban.
Pete is correct. Banning variable timing speedos is pointless and a waste of time and effort. Might as well ban contemporary chassis, 64-pitch gears, computerized LCD-readout radios and digital servos while you're at it. Who keeps a current list of adjustable speedos? How can you police this?

IMO, that's a death sentence for your local VTA class when you start mandating bans on specific electronics not contained in the big picture class rules.

But whatever, some people need to learn the hard way.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wrong info...common ppl...Im seeing it harder and harder to stay positive about VTA with everytime you turn around its something else...read up 1st

http://www.rctech.net/forum/msra-mem...2009-a-12.html
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ignore the powertrains and look at the other variables....

Three different bodies on three different vehicles (unless TwoTone was running another Losi or 007).

Why ban certain chassis's (chassi?) when a XXXS can whoop a $475 '007?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

got you on chassis...my rtr tc3 beat 009's...lol
Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

I am already hearing " why are they so much faster" "what model speed control does that" " how much do they cost". The next step is anyone that want to be competitive spend 250 buck on a new control rather then working on the setup or his driving because he thinks he is getting beat by a speed control.
So a ban is being threatened to placate those who he admits wrongly feel they're being beaten by an ESC? You're going to make me go through the hassle and expense of changing my car around just because somebody thinks I have an advantage?

Is the guy at the tech table going to know which speedo's set of blinky lights means what as far as the timing is concerned?

It's funny how so many people think the fast guys are fast because of their equipment.

Just playing a little devil's advocate here.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
got you on chassis...my rtr tc3 beat 009's...lol
So how come everyone jumps all over the speedos but they don't seem to notice when Dark wins with a TC3 with a Havoc or whatever inside????

I know you have top-notch gear and voluntarily leave it on the bench for VTA races -- there's a lesson for people there that they seem to be missing.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

any VTA's racing this weekend?....how many entries ?.....who won?...how did they win?...no you didnt see what was under the hood...wow!..he ran a 68 Chevy Camaro painted like my Mustang...man that sounds like fun....

work with me ppl...
Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So how come everyone jumps all over the speedos but they don't seem to notice when Dark wins with a TC3 with a Havoc or whatever inside????

I know you have top-notch gear and voluntarily leave it on the bench for VTA races -- there's a lesson for people there that they seem to be missing.
I agree....
we need to ban shaft drives and havoc systems....
then ban any chassis set-up and practice time
Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

what ppl are missing is what r/c racing is missing...thats "FUN"..we talk about it but dont promote it...Im very happy to run my TC3 against anybody..its my number 1 car by far...I love the idea of racing something that cost me pennies on the dollar...and running the snot out of it and staying in contention....

true story...I HAVE $100 IN MY TC3...and have beat just about evrybody that Ive races against...it has nothing to do with my esc servo rx ...motor maybe..lol...but it works period...

all of these are TC3's...one Xray t1....all running GTX GTS Futaba ESC Dually Duratrax 12t....and all are or have won races and Championships...

so tech away....keep it "FUN, FAIR, CHEAP"...and if you are not cheap...keep it FUN and FAIR...which will make you turn your super fast esc or whatever just as slow as my $45 used GTX...
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-4-sale-026.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-4-sale-022.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-thunder-jam-2009-065.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-music-city-championship-019.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-048.jpg  

Old 04-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

The T-shirt says it all! That and the intimidating snarl.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

oh yeah ...it does say "KING OF TRANS-AM"....Justin knows...lol...but until somebody proves me wrong..I will keep wearing it...and the NATS dont count...Brad car had a magic mirror on it that blinded me out of the "A"..lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.