Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markf3x
Hi all,

I'm starting up a USVTA class at Mikes Hobbies in Dallas.. If your in the area come out and race..

We'll be running USVTA rules..

For newbies we'll allow "run what 'ya brung" for a period of time until your able to get within the rules.

Also, we'll allow concessions for Jr drivers (such as my 3 year old son's TT-01) to allow the cars to be controllable and enjoyable (mostly slower motor).

I hijacked a bunch of your photos of USVTA cars to try to get local folks excited about USVTA, I hope you don't mind.

If you visit the website, I started a USVTA forum thread:

http://www.mikeshobbyshop.com/
Congrats! This has to be the funnest class. I like the idea of a Jr class. My 10 year old needs to gain that kind of experience without having to worry about keeping up with everyone so much more experienced than he is.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jr TA is one of he best things Ive seen for kids in a long time......from letting pick out they favorite bodies and paint to showing them different ways to drive the car....its fun competition for them....and they like it alot better than racing the adults.....I normally call or text the other parents on the days we will have the kids at the track so they will always have someone to race.. 3 make for some really good racing...7-8 make for photo shots...lol

ps also we turn their cars down alot till they improve in driving skill..
Old 12-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It's events like these that grow the hobby!

KUDOS!!!

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Jr TA is one of he best things Ive seen for kids in a long time......from letting pick out they favorite bodies and paint to showing them different ways to drive the car....its fun competition for them....and they like it alot better than racing the adults.....I normally call or text the other parents on the days we will have the kids at the track so they will always have someone to race.. 3 make for some really good racing...7-8 make for photo shots...lol

Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pejota
It's events like these that grow the hobby!

KUDOS!!!
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE

Darkside, Reese is outta town til the 5th...you wanna plan to bring all the kids/Jr's out for the jan. 18th race?? I may even buy some ta bodies for prizes for the Jr & reg class. You willing to match me kinda like we did in dirt?..., I buy one you buy one? Or could we buy small trophies for the costs of 2 bodies? ..everybody loves getting wood! Just an ideal that might help get more folks out to the track or at a min. make the kids happy to win something.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

Im in...money,trophies, gift cards,...whatever yall want to do as long as the race director/owner are in....I'm in for whatever...lets make it happen...Jr's and TA
Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

I tried to post the Jr TA pics, but its to big so here is a link

http://www.coolspringsracing.com/Pictures.html
Old 12-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Looking at setting up a TC4 for VTA. Will a 74T spur/44T pinion (64P) fit?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't know how much difference there is in a TC3 and a TC4 around the motor mounting and gears.

My TC3 I had to modify the webbing in the chassis where the gear sits, the adjusting cam and the cover clamp in order to get everything to clear enough to use a 66t (48p) spur and a 44t pinion.

I chose to go 48p because I had a really hard time getting the gear mesh right w/ 64p gears in the TC3, and I don't like having to keep changing stripped spurs....plus I had some 66 and 60 t 48 pitch spurs and a couple 44 & 45t 48p pinions left over from a long time ago.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by slakr
Looking at setting up a TC4 for VTA. Will a 74T spur/44T pinion (64P) fit?
Not sure but I do know the smallest 64p spur I could find for a tc4 is 88t. ..and in my tc4ft chassis with that spur the biggest pinion to fit is 53 maybe a 54t.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

PRS (http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/products/26) makes 64 pitch spurs down to 72 that should work on a TC3. I've personally used as low as an 80 PRS spur in 64-pitch on my TC3.

Robinson Racing (http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/64pitchspur.html) makes 64 pitch spurs down to 78 that will work on a TC3. Robinson gears can be purchased on Hobbytalk.com

If you are using 64 pitch gears, you should be able to run as tall as a 46 tooth pinion before having to modify the chassis under the gear. I can't recall if it was a 47 or 48 that started to rub the tub chassis.

The only issue with the TC3 or TC4 is if you use a very small spur, you may have problems moving the cam over enough to make gear mesh with a smaller pinion. I would think a 74/44 combo should work. Looks like you are trying to gear to 4.20 FDR on the TC4. You may want to purchase a few larger spurs to fine tune your FDR as many of the fast racers that I've seen are closer to 4.4-4.5 than 4.2.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

ROBINSON RACING now has 64p spurs going down to 73t and 75t, there had them in stock at STORMER HOBBIES last week, TOWER was "On-Order", and I believe they were available through the normal distribution channels as well, so LHS's should be able to order them. The ROBINSON gears combined with the PRS gives you 72,72,74,75,76 for spur gears... and upto 65 in Pinion w/ PRS and ROBINSON has new Pinions upto 62 or 63
Old 12-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default No competition

Last weekend I competed in the VTA class for the 2nd time here in MN. I pulled my old TC3 out of the dust and installed a new p2k pro motor and installed 3600mah batteries. I raced about 5 years ago and always did very well. My car handled very well but will never be what they are racing here. I did notice that everyone in the A main had brushless and the best matched batteries, they also have newer lighter cars. I am looking at buying a TC5 and a new brushless system to compete what do you people reccomend. I have about 1000 to play with. thanks from a confused racer.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cochranecustoms
Last weekend I competed in the VTA class for the 2nd time here in MN. I pulled my old TC3 out of the dust and installed a new p2k pro motor and installed 3600mah batteries. I raced about 5 years ago and always did very well. My car handled very well but will never be what they are racing here. I did notice that everyone in the A main had brushless and the best matched batteries, they also have newer lighter cars. I am looking at buying a TC5 and a new brushless system to compete what do you people reccomend. I have about 1000 to play with. thanks from a confused racer.
For Trans Am, keep the TC3, buy a decent Orion 3800 Lipo pack, a Novak 21.5 spec motor and any of the brushless speedos on the market. Grind out the webbing in the TC3 chassis below the pinion to get the proper gearing in the car, use a small PRS sput gear, follow the rubber tire setup in the TC3 manual and get back out and race.

You don't need $1000 car to race T/A. There won't be many lighter cars, as the weight minimum is high for everyone. You won't be light, but a TC3 shouldn't be too much heavier than the minimum weight. And a heavier car has proven to be a bit more stable on track, too.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here in MN they have determined that the 21.5 lipo option is too fast. So I have to get the 17.5 BL system. I did modify my motor mount so I am running a 60tooth sour and a 28 pinion with the brushed motor. The new tc5 is just much more efficient, thats why I suggested it.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default TC3 is past its prime.

I am voting with Nick on this subject. I was at the same carpet race and my TC3 is a pig like Dinosaur up here in Minnesota. I can't drive but for those that can (Nick) to compete at the top level here you need the best equipment available. I am also considering a new belt drive chassis just for the drive line efficiency gains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.