Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Roar has accepted the rules "as-is" on the whole. They did add a minimum body height, width, length, etc, based on the dimensions of the cars under USVTA spec. The biggest change is 21.5 lipo only for regional events and above. NOTE THIS ONLY PERTAINS TO ROAR RACES, AND WILL NOT AFFECT USVTA RACES IN ANY WAY.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So does Doug still have authority over the rules, with ROAR just echoing what appears on the USVTA website?

Or can ROAR start changing things as they see fit?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Technically, ROAR can do what they want to at their races, but they saw that the class's success is based on the whole of what the rules are. They want to be a part of VTA's success, so I would not expect many changes except what I noted above.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for staying on top of it Rob. I really do appreciate it.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Gentlemen: ROAR has happily accepted the VTA as a class in the rule book and the only changes made to the currently used rule set is those that state a particular MFG product. Also, the rule set proposed to ROAR had no body specs, so we included this for the cosistency and completeness of the rules and to stay in line with other classes and expectations.

ROAR NEVER dictates what a track will or should or can do with their local racing program. This is not ROAR. ROAR would never accept a new class and then change what is obviously working. It was created in the ROAR rule book for the membership as another option of competition. Its been shown to have an interest and with ROAR being the oldest standard of rule sets, makes sense to include to ENSURE CONSISTENCY and longevity of the class.

I believe the opinion of ROAR is due to lack of education on our behalf as to what a sanctioning body truly is.

ROAR is the official U.S./Canadian sanctioning body for racing R/C cars. ROAR is responsible for producing and maintaining rules that are fair for all parties involved members and manufacturers alike. As an official IFMAR bloc, ROAR is also responsible for organizing race teams that represent the U.S. and Canada to compete at IFMAR World Championships for all scales of R/C cars.

Anyway, I'm very pleased to see this new class added... its been years since a class was added to the system (Monster Truck was the last one). This year, we have three added...!!!

Last edited by Dawn Sanchez; 11-19-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: sounded funny... LOL
Old 11-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,

<Got my ROAR hat on here>

The intention of adding the class to the ROAR book was ENTIRELY to help promote and standardize this already successful form of racing exactly as it is - slow, relaistic, easy to get into and be competitive, innexpensive, and just a whole lot of fun to both watch and race.

Nothing within the rules was changed, other than the wording around a "spec tire" up to the discression of the race director. We all know what that tire is, but we can't specifically spell out single manufacturer product as the only option in the rulebook.

Tracks around the WORLD use our rules and procedures, and we're hoping to keep VTA just exactly as it is, and help it spread everywhere.

Plus - hopefully starting in 2010, VTA will be an official on road class to be run at the on road ROAR Nationals events.

ROAR likes everything about VTA and wants it to continue just as it is :-)

As far as ROAR changing what we see fit - yes we can, but why screw up a good thing? LOL :-)

Shawn Palmer
ROAR Promotions Director
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Gentlemen: ROAR has happily accepted the VTA as a class in the rule book and the only changes made to the currently used rule set is those that state a particular MFG product.
Does this mean that any ROAR-approved (when that happens) 21.5 motor will be legal at ROAR-sanctioned events?

Thanks for all of the info. Is there somewhere I can see the full ROAR USVTA specs?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Panic attack over...
Old 11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Does this mean that any ROAR-approved (when that happens) 21.5 motor will be legal at ROAR-sanctioned events?

Thanks for all of the info. Is there somewhere I can see the full ROAR USVTA specs?

yes, any 21.5 ROAR approved motor will be legal at events that are electric in power plant rules and if there are no wind limitations or specifications on the class.

The full ROAR VTA specs will be published in the 2009 rule book of which should be online in the next few weeks.... once I find a few hours to get it finished... sorry about that......

for now, I'll see what I can do to get something posted here UNOFFICIALLY, of course..
Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
yes, any 21.5 ROAR approved motor will be legal at events that are electric in power plant rules and if there are no wind limitations or specifications on the class.

The full ROAR VTA specs will be published in the 2009 rule book of which should be online in the next few weeks.... once I find a few hours to get it finished... sorry about that......

for now, I'll see what I can do to get something posted here UNOFFICIALLY, of course..
OK, last think I'll bother you about...is there now such a thing as a ROAR-approved 21.5? I bet the answer is that there will be a list in the 2009 book as well.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

OK, last think I'll bother you about...is there now such a thing as a ROAR-approved 21.5? I bet the answer is that there will be a list in the 2009 book as well.
And they'll all perform the same except for the labels. Labels make me faster. And Red Anodized aluminum is faster than Purple.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I will interject one thing.

While it's great that ROAR has taken the rules 'AS-IS' except for spelling out required Manufacturer specific item, I see a possible problem.

I understand why ROAR can't say Novak only 21.5, but as this has already been hashed out earlier in this tread, the other 21.5 seem to be a lot faster, so that does somewhat go against what the classs was about.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, I just hope this ROAR aprroval doesn't push Doug to change his stance on leaving it Novak 21.5 only to keep speeds down.

EDIT- this is all of course going off of Doug's earlier comment that in general it appears that the ROAR 21.5's will be considerable faster than the Novak.

Last edited by TwoTone; 11-19-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Not yet.. but I can report there are two MFG's that have submitted them for approval status. As soon as the testing is done and the numbers are recorded, we will post them on the approval list - also found on the website. (look under 'approvals' tab)

As for the specs... yep.. in the next book and I'll see what I can do to post those, unofficially.... (Oval racers are asking for that one as well...)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

TwoTone:
The ROAR Specs are based on the existing 21.5 build (from Novak and others), and were unanimously accepted by the brushless committee (basically all the brushless mfrs/brands).

The Speed Passion, and I beleive Orion and Trinity were already building to those specs months ago, and there'll be many more showing up I'm sure.

Not sure what brand Doug was concerned about, but from the committee folks - everyone was already building/planning to the original Novak specs from day one, so "ROAR APPROVED" pretty much means built to the exact same specs as the Novak already has been.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Again, this will be for ROAR racing. Knowing Doug, I'm sure he will definitely stick to his guns

Also, a majority of the ROAR races where these rules will be in effect for 21.5 are going to be regional or national type races. It should not affect week to week club type racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.