BTW can't type lol
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

we would like to invite all to join us in Nashville,TN for

Music City Championship
Sunday, October 5th (9:00a - 6:00p)

http://www.coolspringsracing.com/Mus...mpionship.html

this will be the biggest on-road race of the Summer...we will have trophies for top 3 in each division,TQ,Best paint-modern muscle&vintage,driver of the year, free food, 3 seperate divisions, 4 heats and mains,and still only $15 to race with pre-registration...and lots more...

oh..did I mention...all coming more than 100 miles...you race for FREE...so if nothing else come eat for free & race free and have a really good time...you must pre-register...it ends Sept.28th.....goto the link fo all the details and if you still need any extra info call me or pm me...615-851-1876
Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KAHUNA
Andy ,
any news on the 70 Camaro we were talking about @ the HPI Challange a few weeks ago !

Thanks
I'd love a '70 Camaro,my '68 is showing some wear.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Scottrik are you kidding me, its a freaking plastic body not a request for a history lesson! Please, your sucking the oxygen out of the class with your tech notes, this is a fun class remember? When you see a VTA body painted not to historical accuracy do you brow beat the owner? Geez!!
HPI please make a 68-69 AMC Javilin body to Scottriks specs...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boyntoncyclone
Scottrik are you kidding me, its a freaking plastic body not a request for a history lesson! Please, your sucking the oxygen out of the class with your tech notes, this is a fun class remember? When you see a VTA body painted not to historical accuracy do you brow beat the owner? Geez!!
Easy there, big fella. No need to get your panties in a bunch because someone is into the historical context for this class. It's a big part of it. Certainly your negativity and insults are more damaging than someone adding a bit of reference information. "This is a fun class remember?"
Old 09-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RugRunner
I have tried the Martin hudy setup and the stock setup and barry baker setup and variations of them but it seems that maybe its the compound of the tires that isnt comparable to regular Rubber tires the traction and lack of a certain points makes it difficult and also it is somewhat binding up cause its making my motor come off in the 160 to 170 range. I was just hoping one of you guys came up w/a decent begining setup...
I actually had good luck with Drew Ellis setup for the 2006 pavement nats on my TA car. althought I did go to the white springs to stiffen up the front of the car. oil shock and roll centers were spot on with a well handling car. worked well on carpet as it did on pavement with the HPI tyres.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
I actually had good luck with Drew Ellis setup for the 2006 pavement nats on my TA car. althought I did go to the white springs to stiffen up the front of the car. oil shock and roll centers were spot on with a well handling car. worked well on carpet as it did on pavement with the HPI tyres.
Robert are you saying that you had good luck at the Nats with that car and then you made a VTA from the same chassis? Are you running TC and VTA with the same rig?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Im telling...yep he is..lol...oh wait a min?...so Im I...oh well Im 5 laps down in TC...but on top(sometimes) with TA...lol..what a beautiful class
Old 09-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

He passes me so many times during a race. That will drive a guy to run F1.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Robert are you saying that you had good luck at the Nats with that car and then you made a VTA from the same chassis? Are you running TC and VTA with the same rig?
I only have one TC a 2006 XRAY T2 box stock other then the BMI carpet chassis when on carpet. it's been raced in

nashville, tn
orlando, fl
omaha, ne
stockton, ca
jonesboro, ar
cleveland, oh
brookfield, wi
las vegas, nv
cincinnati, oh
and
calhon, ga (as both a 13.5 rubber and TA car without touching the setup)

it has flown out the door at the end of the straight away at thunder and down the ramp to the track after me turning in too soon on the sweeper twice. it has seen 4 feet of air off the pavement at jonesboro and taken the "wall" at trackside. and it should of gotten 2nd in the "B" 13.5 foam in vegas if I hadn't had a little help off the track on the last corner.

best car I ever bought.

and yes all did was change motor to a Novak 17.5 put in 4 Xpress 4600 cells and gear it 3.45 something and put on the HPI Camaro body and run it.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

You are my hero! Now get out of my way.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boyntoncyclone
Whoops...thin skin alert...

I PROBABLY wouldn't have said anything except your post was framed as a request in a forum that HPI folks DO read. Whether you know it or not, were someone to make an AMX body it would likely look "wrong". If you have an opportunity to see a Javelin and an AMX next to each other the difference is very clear to see--the AMX looks like a squatty Javelin. Not quite Gremlin squatty, but headed that direction in a hurry. This'll drive you bat-crap, more history lesson and all, but one of the things that confuses people is that the AMX name DID tack onto the next generation Javelin (denoting, I believe, the "performance" version of the Javelin) and the Championship-winning car in '71 WAS a Javelin AMX.

To answer your question, no, as long as a body is painted in a manner we like to call "period authentic" it's fine. No need to create an absolute replica (though I've seen some AMAZING replicas on these pages!). "Period Authentic" refers to having a car that looks like it COULD have raced in the late '60's meaning no neons, fluorescents, tribals, drips, fades, etc. Cars of that period were generally pretty simple paint schemes, not screaming multi-layered graphics.

And yes, it's a fun class. LEARNING can be fun too, if you open your mind to it. I'm always all ears to anyone who can share something about racing history, particularly the '50's and '60's era.

Oh...and regarding specs...those would be AMC's specs as I was a whopping 7 years old at when the Javelins were released. Even fewer people listened to me than than now. Hard to believe, what with how few folks listen to me now, but true nonetheless.

Last edited by Scottrik; 09-01-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rugrunner,

I could not figure out how to attached a PDF in a PM so I'm posting my Xray 007 setup here.

Make sure you use tires on asphalt that have not been run on carpet. For some reason the traction compounds used for carpet make the outer rubber harder or slick and the rear tires will not have enough traction. You can bring tires back by running them for a bit and cleaning the surface with Simple Green or Goof Off type products and then WD-40 and let sit for awhile. Make another practice run to help break them in. Before a Qual or Main apply WD-40 15 minutes or more before your run, wipe down just before race and you should have good traction. The same goes when your running on carpet. Jack Gripper the tires, or whatever compound your track allows, long before you start your race then wipe down before you run and let her rippppppppp.

This setup has been good for me so far. I'm usually the fastest or 2nd fastest car on the track each Wednesday among 9-14 cars. I would probably win more races if I would stop hitting stuff. But that's all part of racing.

This is just a guess, but I believe do to the speed of a Vintage and tires, the car is not quit as touchy on setup as a faster car with performance tires. I've made changes to this setup and in most cases have not seen much of a change in drive ability or speed. At a minimum it will be a place for you to start.

Good luck and have fun racing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
t2_007-Carpet Vintage 21p5BL.pdf (447.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What tire compound are you using on carpet? I saved the tires I ran on carpet for outdoor when they became too soft, and they were great. I used Paragon (black can) on carpet most of the time though. Outdoor we cleaned with buggy grip and used Paragon FX (white can).
Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The carpet track we run as a lot of RED DOT in it currently as this is what a lot of the rubber tire touring and Vintage racers where using until late. Jack the Gripper is becoming more popular now as Red Dot seems to make the tire bubble out over time. Making them rounded and larger then there normal shape.

We are not allowed to use Paragon so maybe a track with this additive impregnated in the carpet and used on tires does not have the effect Red Dot and GP does. All I know is if I take my car with the same tires that ran on carpet Wed night and use the following Sunday the rear is looser then you now what. They can be revived but it takes a few practice runs and cleaning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.