Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Cool

Andy ,
any news on the 70 Camaro we were talking about @ the HPI Challange a few weeks ago !

Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ......

....always working on stuff, just juggling between schedules and licensing requirements.

Thanks,

AH
Old 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Default Think AMC...

Andy, please think about a 68,69 AMC Javalin AMX!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andyh
....always working on stuff, just juggling between schedules and licensing requirements.

Thanks,

AH
is that a cryptic message, andy??
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok I was just pondering with my calculator here.

The Sprint 2 Flux RTR - $339.99 (Tower Price)

Flux System $179.99 (included)
Rims $9.29 x 2=$18.58 (included)
Tires Rear $12.99 (included)
Tires Front $9.99 (included)
HPI Vintage Shell $23.99 (painted ones are more like 37.99)
So the Sprint 2 Flux RTR comes with $245.55 worth of stuff. So its like getting the kit for $94.44.

The assembled Sprint 2 drift kit is available without electronics for $139.99.

Now if a VTA spec roller was available for even $150.00 with just the chassis, shell, wheels and tires, no electronics, that would be quite the deal. The shell wheels and tires would cost you near half of that amount.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

makes sense to me....if you had a roller deal and let them furnish a radio...I see better response...(kinda like the Slash Spec Class)
Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Andy,
Any chance of a molded grill insert and a decal sheet to convert the Camaro to a Firebird like the car seen at the USVTA Nationals?

Marty
Old 08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boyntoncyclone
Andy, please think about a 68,69 AMC Javalin AMX!!!!
Not wishing to be pedantic, but we need to be very clear what we're asking for if we're going to be making public requests for the good folks at HPI to see. In 68-69 the Jav(E)lin and the AMX were different cars. They had the pretty much the same front and rear sheet metal, thus looked very much alike, but the AMX was shorter between the wheels and didn't have a rear seat thus was not eligible for the Trans-Am which required 4 seaters. The Javelin was the Trans-Am racing car and the one we'd like to see reproduced. The AMX was road raced but as a B-Production car (2-seaters) against the Shelby GT350's which were all but impossible to beat at the time.

Also, and this is my own opinion, casting aspersion on the folks at HPI is counter-productive in the extreme. THEY are the only corporate partners Vintage Trans-Am have right to this point and they've (via Andy and Collin) been VERY supportive of the concept. If they recognize that the basher market is FAR more lucrative than the "racer" market and create a RTR or ARTR kit toward that it's because THEY DO THEIR JOBS VERY WELL. That said, and again my own opinion, I'd say it really doesn't do the Vintage Trans-Am movement much good at all if someone, for whatever reason, buys a kit with the USVTRA logo on it that can't be raced in a USVTRA event. Finding out they have to shell out for a new esc and motor ain't going to make us any friends and the box is probably LONG gone so the warm fuzzy feeling they got from the logo is pretty much gone at that point. Along the lines of previous posters, if a rolling chassis kit with body, wheels and tires (heck, maybe even a servo) were offered THAT would be the product to place the USVTRA logo on because the potential racer isn't being potentially misled (unintentionally, to be sure). It probably doesn't make marketing sense (not enough units to justify) plopping a GTB/21.5/lipo kit, or even a no-name (but sensored) brushless esc/17.5 kit into the distribution stream, but that would certainly be the ideal circumstance.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have been running HPI bodies whenever I have been able to on my 4wd touring cars. I've always enjoyed the detail of their bodies and decal sheets. If HPI does produce another vintage shell I hope they can make it more like the Camaro in terms of durability and a one piece mold. I have already emailed HPI and asked if they could produce a Javelin. If they produce one I will buy it.

As far as HPI making a RTR "USVTA" kit, I simply think we should offer constructive advice to HPI on what we want to see but more importantly what we will actually buy. I've personally been on the fence about buying a new touring car to race in VTA. I like my TC3, but wouldn't mind having an HPI car decked out in purple. I really didn't want to drop $500 on a new kit. If HPI released a version of the Sprint 2 that either had a legal power combo or a VTA spec version or even a kit with VTA wheels/body no power, I would buy one tomorrow.

I may still consider buying the Sprint 2 Flux. What do you think it would take to slow down this kit to a competitive speed to compete in VTA?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
It's essentially a 19T motor in the HPI kit. There is no chance of getting that car to perform the same as a USVTA-legal car, unfortunately, without a motor change.

d
I think that says enough
Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

A coin must have landed on its edge somewhere because I completely agree with you guys.

I guess I was thinking that the flux speed controller would work if you only replaced the motor with the Novak 21.5. Am I wrong about that?

I guess we just have to realize that even though this car looks like a VTA and has most of the parts needed to run VTA, its really a basher that makes for an easy conversion and not a VTA RTR.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The speedo and motor in that kit are unsensored brushless, and the Novak 21.5 is a sensored motor. While it can be done, it's not something that I would run or recommend. Too many issues with unsensored brushless electronics for racing, IMO.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

You mean like the "Cogging" I hear people talk about?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
You mean like the "Cogging" I hear people talk about?
no the issue with running a high turn motor is that the ESC cant "sense" where to start the motor due the the large amount of winds. what will happen is the motor will stutter extremely bad off the start and its a 50/50 shot whether it will take off backward or not.

BTW the 5600kv motor is comparable to a 6.5/7.5 brushless motor so its probably very unlikely to be able to gear this to compete in the class

Also not to get too far off topic but is it just me or does the HPI unit look very very similar to the Castle Creations unit?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Note: the Sprint 2 Flux Vintage Mustang kit does not include USVTA logos/decal sheets. Again the only reason USVTA is mentioned is simply to show people that "..hey check it out, that's cool, people have Vintage races". So is it really sooooo bad that we just potentially exposed XX more number of people that there is such a thing as USVTA...

Bottom line...the kit is not designed to be a plug and play solution for USVTA or anything like that..hence I/we did not post a release in this forum. The only thing I/we posted was link to the September Cal pages...I figured...hey cool Mustang

Cheers,

AH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.