Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
On another note. Nash's paintjob has become his signature. If you see his car at the track you know he is there. If you see it in pictures from the snowbirds or anywhere else, you know its his car. I think its ugly too, but I can see why he is attached to it.
Sigh.

as I said if that's his gig so be it. but it also seems to be something that he could easily morph into the existing oldschool theme by painting his hood white, front fenders yellow, doors and roof green, and rear clip blue.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We had 9 guys racing last Friday in Indy. May not seem like much, but we started with three this summer indoors, so I count that as a big improvement.

FWIW, I don't know Mr. Nash, but my favorite part of his paint job is the big honking Bolink Body nuts on top of the front end! Good to see he has a sense of humor and takes this all in stride.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

some of us will be there this weekend...and if you dont get that indoor track going we will be at Thunder this winter starting in Oct...and TA and ele only offroad will be the classes...oh yeah tc too...yuk...j/k
Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

26 entrees and 23 VTA bodies one viper and 2 TC bodies

Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

An extra piece of raisin pie for those that can spot Nash's paint jobs.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Nice pic nash...got any more???
Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oh wait you mean this one?
yep I painted something other then a fade with my standard colors my fade is also in the picture.
personally I think it suxs, just looks like everybody else but to each their own. this body was too pretty to run and I spent like 8 hours painting it. and 1 full can of forecent yellow. usually I can get 3 or 4 bodies out of a can.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For anyone new to this thread, here is some general info on how I try come up with a paint scheme for this class.

As far as painting bodies, I refer to this Historic Trans Am website - http://www.historictransam.com/Roster.htm.

Also, HPI has some good photos from U.S. Vintage Trams Am Nationals that were held earlier this year at this website - http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2008032701/

If you refer back to page 28 in this thread you will also see some additional photos of the Nationals - http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...198728&page=28

The internet has been a great resource for looking up photos of 60s/70s cars. Use your favorite search engine for - '68 camaro photo or grabber green mustang photo or AAR Cuda photo and you will be surprised with the number of results. I've also figured out that you can find either factory references to colors or actual color charts of a specific year/model. Here is some useful info for the 3 main cars in this class:

Camaro
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml
http://www.camaros.net/years/68/68paint.html (includes paint chip photos)

Mustang
http://www.metromusclecars.com/FordExterior/Paint.html (includes paint chip photos)

AAR Cuda
http://www.members.shaw.ca/aarcuda/aarfaq.html (links to photos of AAR Cudas)
http://www.aarcuda.com/ (check out the registry for more photos)

The only body that comes with white circles & numbers is the HPI 68 Camaro.

A cheap source for numbers is the Losi Mini-T Number Sheet - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB1011. They are a bit small, but will do in a pinch. You can also find some adhesive backed numbers in your local hardware store or superstore where they sell U.S. mailboxes. These are a bit more expensive.

If your kit doesn't come with white number circles, the easiest solution is to make your own with a circle cutter and Monokote trim (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...monokote+trim+). You can also cut numbers from the Monokote trim if you have a steady hand or a vinyl cutter.

If your body doesn't come with any sponsor decals - Parma and Traxxas make some sponsor decal sheets.

In the end it shouldn't take very much time to add a little detail to a body to make it look race ready - even if it is a one color paint scheme. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 07-21-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nash, I tend to go a bit heavy on the paint at times too. Nice vintage inspired paint job on the Camaro.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
26 entrees and 23 VTA bodies one viper and 2 TC bodies

Good turn out, getting bigger and bigger. I should be back to racing in Aug.

so who's is the white/yella/blue one behind the orange car? I think you snuk in the old fade and your new, retro'd Nash color scheme, Good effort on the new body..AND you got a real spoiler on it! I'm so proud.

How's the grip on the new location pavement compared to hobby town's p-lot? Looks grippy'r
Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I can't see anyone being turned away because of a paint job, or even not running the numbers at the club level. That being said, it looks much, much better when guys try to make something that looks scale and "of the period". That doesn't mean you have to go copy the Classic Wax Challenger to race, but just refrain from crazy paint drips, "carbon fiber", 4 shades of flourescents, tribal graphics, etc.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by robk
it looks much, much better when guys try to make something that looks scale and "of the period". That doesn't mean you have to go copy the Classic Wax Challenger to race, but just refrain from crazy paint drips, "carbon fiber", 4 shades of flourescents, tribal graphics, etc.
+1
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Boy, I'm gone a little while and everything takes a turn for the worst. I'll quote my own words...

If I were the track owner, I wouldn't let you run under your own made-up rules. I'd turn your one race entry away at the sake of keeping the class strong and inviting to new racers and old ones looking for something they used to have. Or, I'd tell you that you had to have numbers, and you had to have a period-correct paint job, or you had to have the proper wheels and tires to run in the class.
Let me clarify something here. I believe that when people know the rules and intentionally go against them just the sake of being difficult, it's not the same as when someone is dipping their toe in the water to try the class out. I think it's lame to side-step the intent of the class and the spirit of the rules just to be "different." If someone refuses to conform to class rules just because they are paying an entry fee—that's a whole different can-o-worms. That's just my opinion. Most track owners don't feel this way.

I think many forget that this all started as "scale model racing" and not some personalized interpretation of what cars really look like. I prefer that the USVTA class and rules brings back the scale realism and enthusiasm for model race cars, and not just racers bringing a fleet of insipid fluorescent lexan cartoon carpet cleaners to the track. Again, that's an opinion—mine.

My comment about turning people away includes those who insist on trying to force the issue with tires, motors, batteries and anything else that goes against the spirit of the class. That doesn't include new racers or people who are actually trying to adapt to the class. People manipulating rules to suit themselves and not betterment of the class is not a good thing for anyone. That's my only point.

I just can't stand to hear racers say things like, "I'm gonna do it my way regardless of the rules, and the track owner shouldn't care because it's another entry fee." That's the kind of stuff that hurts all of R/C racing—not just any one class. I get disappointed when I see people doing things like that, because it's really more of a sign of the times than anything wrong with toy car racing.

There are plenty of tracks around the country using some or part of the USVTA rules. That's cool, as long as you're running the class and it's healthy. Run the USVTA rules or don't—that's up to the home club or local track. I'm just happy to see that class grow at the local level.

Do what you want... paint your car like a hunk of cheese for all I care. In the end, it's the racer's responsibility for a class' success or failure—not anyone else's.

doug
Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Also, don't forget to look at sports car racing (i.e. Le Mans) for inspiration as well. The FIA and IMSA had several racing series in the 60's and early 70's that would have appropriate paint schemes.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Does every track in America have someone who chooses to be a horses ass?

We race toy cars, why can't we all keep our eye on the "greater good" of the sport and actually make things work. The rules aren't that tight.

If you are lucky and have a great place to race, support it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.