Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
1 more question) any legality or specs going to be placed on ESC's?
Whatever your doing to your speedo is probably illegal in a court of law Ken.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Im confused, are there 2 stock classes (brushed and brushless) or are they running against each other?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
so.. home from the meeting.... We met most of the evening Friday, all day Saturday and took a little break to visit the AMA convention next door and then all day Sunday. The minutes will be posted on the website shortly, (as soon as Corey gets his email).. and you will see nine pages of information we widdled down to something readable.

But.. you want to know..

Yes, 27T and 17.5 is the stock class of racing in ROAR competition and ... This will slow down the stock class of racing as it needs to be and maintain the stock brushed motor use at most events, especially off road, we are assuming.

19T and 10.5 is the Super Stock class. (formerly called 19T class) We recommend local programs stick with what they are doing that is working for their integration of brushed and brushless motor racing. In 2009, 13.5 will be the Super Stock class.

I'm sure there are criticisms, questions and probably even a little disappointment out there. We took the future of ROAR racing, our membership and our affliates into consideration. I'm sure you all can understand the position the Excom was placed in and the decisions were not made hastily. This thread was extremely insightful and educational for me and I thank each of you.

AND.. GEORGE CHERRY.. LIPO 7.4V BATTERIES ARE APPROVED IN ALL 6 CELL SUB-C 7.2V CLASSES.... SO WHERE IS YOUR MEMBERSHIP FORM??
Dawn, I just checked the ROAR web and did not see this announced on it.... Is this an official announcment?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Very good news. I may have to join ROAR for the first time in my 20+ years in the hobby.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by or8ital
Im confused, are there 2 stock classes (brushed and brushless) or are they running against each other?

"Stock - no intention of changing the 27T popularity and I doubt it will. The 17.5 has its advantages and some disadvantages. For on road, I feel this is a close call.. for off road.. I see 27T brushed being used more. But, that's the testing I have seen at the track where I live."

From Dawn, on the previous page.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

yes... I had expected the minutes to be posted last evening but they were not - so my posting would appear to be an official announcement.

yes - brushed and brushless motors may compete against eachother.

yes - this is in effect for Hobbyplex nats. We have changed a few rules in that aspect as well with something called 'stated product' instead of handout product. The entry flyer will announce what motor is legal for the event and you can purchase at the hobby shop at a discounted price as we are working with the MFG's or you can bring yourself. All items must be teched prior to racing and registered per participant.

yes - you can run a 17.5 or 27T at the event and switch if you want.

yes - lipo rules are in place. There is a thread started here that I posted the pages to be formatted into the rule book.

no - there are no esc control rules.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

EDIT: Dawn answered my question.

I dont like the combining brushed and brushless motors but either way this is all really good news! Im glad RC is moving forward. Thanks ROAR.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Great job ROAR! I think you guys looked at the issues and made some good decisions. These were not easy to make and with lots of debate I am sure we can now move on with the legal racing of BL motors in "spec" classes (sorry that was for you Dawn! ) Let the racing continue!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casper
Great job ROAR! I think you guys looked at the issues and made some good decisions. These were not easy to make and with lots of debate I am sure we can now move on with the legal racing of BL motors in "spec" classes (sorry that was for you Dawn! ) Let the racing continue!
Thank you for the SPECial post, Casper... (you know I hate that term... LOL)
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Dawn, just curious on the thinking behind the super stock class? Was it to allow people to continue to use the life of their 10.5 / 19T motors for a year before changing it to 13.5 in 2009? Seems like it makes a lot of sense but I was wondering if that was the reason.

You realize you have made RC history. Your name will always be associated with the BL / Lipo approvals. Lets (for your sake) hope it all works out! . In all seriousness. I think you have done the right thing.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

For most poeple a 10.5 in mod will be an great motor but the nature of poeple will always want more speed. Just pointing out that throwing out your 10.5BL motors is not necessary. For most tight indoor tracks this will still be a great motor. This ruling about kills all current fixed timing machine wound 19T motors but with all changes like this you cannot make everyone happy. Again I agree with the new rules and we should be able to burn up our 19T motors this year in the JBRL and Nats!

(I couldn't resist Dawn!)
Old 01-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

HOW DO WE KNOW when a 17.5 IS ROAR LEGAL?

What defines a 17.5 motor and how do we know when they are legal to use? Currenlty i look for the tagged arm,ROAR stamp,locked timing and marking on the arm shaft to tech a 27 or 19T motor. How do we know a 17.5 is ROAR legal? Will there be specifications for motor builders to build to?? To avoid a company slapiing on a 17.5 decal on the can of a 15.5... or lower...

Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

On top of that, your local racing can still run a 10.5 class if they so choose.

Originally Posted by Casper
For most poeple a 10.5 in mod will be an great motor but the nature of poeple will always want more speed. Just pointing out that throwing out your 10.5BL motors is not necessary. For most tight indoor tracks this will still be a great motor. This ruling about kills all current fixed timing machine wound 19T motors but with all changes like this you cannot make everyone happy. Again I agree with the new rules and we should be able to burn up our 19T motors this year in the JBRL and Nats!

(I couldn't resist Dawn!)
Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

If I might offer a question/suggestion re: tech on BL motors...

I've been visiting with someone in whose club racing there were a couple folks running their 10.5 class were suddenly a fair bit faster. One of them hadn't even taken the sticker off his 9.5 motor so that wasn't a tech problem at all. The others motor, though, didn't display a sticker describing the number of winds. No need to mention the particular motor mfr because I believe they're ALL succeptible to this.

This ain't like the brushed days when for quick-n-dirty you looked for the tag on the arm. In the case of BL all the arms are the same...are we going to somehow create a tag for the winds inside a BL can?

Novak has an excellent tutorial on their site that explains teching a BL motor using an LCR meter to measure inductance. They then go on to give the inductance specs for all their motors. The LCR meters aren't cheap enough that every racer would want one for his or her pit box, but they're not so expensive that pretty much any track or club could have one to maintain the integrity of BL racing. Should it be a requirement that all BL motor manufacturers/marketers have that inductance information prominently listed on, say, the ROAR site under Tech or some such? I'm not overly tech/electronics saavy but I'm guessing that a 10.5 motor regardless who makes it would probably have similar readings if it's on the level, but I don't see how it's a particular hardship on ANYBODY to require that information be readily available to event organizers everywhere.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
It's been mentioned a bit in this thread that 10.5/19 turn were almost as fast as mod at the recent Novak race.
Undeniably the lap times aren't far from each other, but ANYBODY who has driven both knows that the method of getting there is anything BUT similar. Having driven both I can state that a 10.5 is a VERY different driving experience from a 6.5...and a 6.5 is a VERY mild "mod" motor compared to what many/most are running.

10.5 I am pretty comfortable with my level of car control. Certainly more throttle-control needed than Stock, but forgiving of "hammer finger" too.

6.5 things are getting pretty on-edge and I start feeling like I'm "hanging on". Quite a bit of throttle-control required.

4.5 fuggedaboudit! Too much motor for my meager driving skills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.