Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to 1/8 On road.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default New to 1/8 On road.

Boy the bug has bit me. A little history, I'm an old guy (45) and haven't had a RC car for 20+ years. I have flown RC helis between then and now. For Christmas I bought my wife's 2 boys a Traxxas Jato 3.3. I think I liked it as much as they do.

Anyway the 1/8 scale on road cars have always intrigued me. Doing a little research it turns out there is a local club running 1/8 on road. So here is my question and I hope we can get answers without turning into a pissing contest between brand loyal drivers.

How would you recommend one choose between the Kyosho and Serpent cars? Secondly, the motors, tons of choices with huge price differences. Just how does one choose? When I flew helis my first choice was easy as we had 2 factory reps for Minature Aircraft in my local club.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New to 1/8 on-road

Originally Posted by UPSguy
Boy the bug has bit me. A little history, I'm an old guy (45) and haven't had a RC car for 20+ years. I have flown RC helis between then and now. For Christmas I bought my wife's 2 boys a Traxxas Jato 3.3. I think I liked it as much as they do.

Anyway the 1/8 scale on road cars have always intrigued me. Doing a little research it turns out there is a local club running 1/8 on road. So here is my question and I hope we can get answers without turning into a pissing contest between brand loyal drivers.

How would you recommend one choose between the Kyosho and Serpent cars? Secondly, the motors, tons of choices with huge price differences. Just how does one choose? When I flew helis my first choice was easy as we had 2 factory reps for Minature Aircraft in my local club.
This will of course turn into a "mine is better than yours" debate, but contact Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies. Sam sells all three cars<Kyosho, Serpent, and Mugen>, and will give you an honest unbiased answer to all your questions.
I have both the Kyosho, and Mugen and they do drive completly diffeerent.
Go to the racing forum, and post you question under Team Kamikaze.
good luck
Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Your in Luck

You have right in your backyard one great RC club that has a Great track. The Great Lakes Chanllenge they host is a huge race tha racers from all over attend every year. i would talk to them as they can tell you what other local racers are running, and what parts are easily available in your area. The website for the club is www.oneeighthracers.com. Ted Hammer, one of the members is a great guy who is fast as hell, and usually is more than willing to give friendly advice. With regards to the other post, the guys at Kamikaze are great also. I have ordered from them in the past, and can assure you they race what they sell, and have competitive pricing.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Lil Paul, YGPM
Old 01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Scale

UPSguy....You're not that old!! LOL At any rate, You are very lucky in that you are close to a great bunch of guys that will help you a lot. I recommend you contact them and go to a club meeting. All the cars today are good. My suggestion: run what the guys in the club run. You will be able to get tech support and everything. As for motors, a good quallity novarossi based would be best as you can get parts, but again, get local input so you can have technical and parts support.
Have fun with your sport!!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Car

I think a mugen holds the track record! Ha
Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

UPS Guy, you have PM
Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

http://www.oneeighthracers.com/
Old 01-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it very much. I have had a few email exchanges with Ted. I was pleasantly surprised to see an active 1/8 club right in my back yard. Hopefully I have my account set up now so I'll know when someone replies.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Track Record!

Originally Posted by latemodel13
I think a mugen holds the track record! Ha
It wasn't the car as much as the motor and the driver!!!LOL If you would put the motor and driver in a Kyosho, same result!!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bighurt98
It wasn't the car as much as the motor and the driver!!!LOL If you would put the motor and driver in a Kyosho, same result!!
........or a Serpent, or Motonica.........
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

I'm an old guy (45) and haven't had a RC car for 20+ years. . . .

. . . I hope we can get answers without turning into a pissing contest between brand loyal drivers.

How would you recommend one choose between the Kyosho and Serpent cars? Secondly, the motors, tons of choices with huge price differences. Just how does one choose?
If you join up to the 1/8th club, welcome aboard (as those train dudes always say)! 45? That's cool. I thought 60 was the new 40 anyway so you seem pretty safe. In terms of complexity and racing skill, any 14-16 year could do it but in terms of finances, even these days not many 14 year olds could afford 1/8th. Not trying to scare you but a 14 year old's allowance could get eaten up pretty quick racing 1/8th.

I have no clue what RC was like 20 years ago but I'm sure today's stuff is WAY better. The one thing that has had the biggest impact on RC and those who do it as a hobby: The Internet (specifically the World Wide Web). 20 years ago you were truely alone compared to today. These days tons of info is freely available. Not only has the Internet been a boon for the hobbiest but it has pushed development faster and better. In real dollars terms you get a lot more for each dollar you spend!

As for car, engine, other required gear the best advice I can give to first get involved, find a club and make friends. Watch carefully and ask questions. If there is a shop with someone whose got 1/8th experience you might want to go there first since if you buy stuff there most shop owners will show you how to get your gear going. Customer satisfaction is a big priority for small shops.

You could basically buy any 1/8th car and accompanying gear and get it assembled but screwing it up is surprisingly easy. Many surprises wait for the first-timer. You want someone to show you how to avoid the mistakes. More than anything, that's what you need the most.

Good luck.

Rob
Old 01-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK, let me ask this another way. Turns out there is a great club in the area to join, learn and make friends at. Taylorm here has volunteered to help me out anyway he can which I am more than happy to say in public, thank you very much. Going#1, thanks for the advice and I don't mean this with any disrespect but if I can build and set up helicopters I am pretty sure I can build and set up a RC car and at least have it driveable.

So, asking the other way. Why did those of you who have 1/8th cars choose the model you did?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

OK, let me ask this another way. Turns out there is a great club in the area to join, learn and make friends at. Taylorm here has volunteered to help me out anyway he can which I am more than happy to say in public, thank you very much. Going#1, thanks for the advice and I don't mean this with any disrespect but if I can build and set up helicopters I am pretty sure I can build and set up a RC car and at least have it driveable.

So, asking the other way. Why did those of you who have 1/8th cars choose the model you did?
................helis are EASY UPSguy....you're correct, if you can build and fly helis you should have no problem adapting to the 2 channels us simpleton car racers use...............i would say most guys chose their car based on parts availability....or whatever the hot shots at the local track are running. ALL of the current cars can win..........pick a flavor...KyoshoSerpentMugen
Old 01-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

UPS guy I am somewhat new to the Toledo gas club myself ,joined in 2007, but I have over 25 yrs racing electrics.
I personally drive a Serpent 950r a good car but not the best, I am sure though you could give me another brand of car and I would probably be just as fast or slow depending on you POV.
My point is find yourself a good car no one is making junt except PRS,find yourself a GOOD parts supply and keep in mind that guys at the track carry parts also.
Be carefull at the end of the straight those 2x12 will turn your pristine race machine back into a kit in a heart beat.
Serpent,Mugen,Kyosho/Delta all make great cars.Motonica is still pricy and who knows about parts I hope they step up to the plate cuz the are cool looking cars.Good luck see you in april

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.