B-44 REAR TOP CHASSIS PLATE ALWAYS BREAKING

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B-44 REAR TOP CHASSIS PLATE ALWAYS BREAKING

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

the problem with a thicker rear top-deck is that it will raise your rear shock tower, this will change your droop, it will change the max upward travel and also very slightly change the angle of your shocks.

I don't believe the solution is a thicker rear top deck unless you combine that with a different rear shock tower that brings the shock mounts back 'down' to stock locations.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Very good point Doughty.I am going to look at these issues A little closer this evening.I definately don't want to sacrifice the setup for strength.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

To the people with failure...

Was your rear ball studs loose at the time of the failure? Its highly possible since they loosen easily and this will cause premature failure of the top plate. Make sure you check them regularly. Mine where tight and loosened after a few runs.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doughty
the problem with a thicker rear top-deck is that it will raise your rear shock tower, this will change your droop, it will change the max upward travel and also very slightly change the angle of your shocks.

I don't believe the solution is a thicker rear top deck unless you combine that with a different rear shock tower that brings the shock mounts back 'down' to stock locations.
Does anybody know if the xtreme rear tower compensates for the added thickness of their top plate?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doughty

Can't you just unscrew your shock ends 1 turn to make up for the extra MM on the top plate? Best of both worlds.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenshu
I don't think the problem is with the top deck..... LEARN TO DRIVE!!!!!!!!
T-rexx is a great driver and this breaks alot on his car.

Originally Posted by Team54
Very good point Doughty.I am going to look at these issues A little closer this evening.I definately don't want to sacrifice the setup for strength.
If you cant finish a race what good is the set-up. Just unscrew the tie rods alittle bit like foolio said. Whos to say the set-up isnt better with that raised 1mm
Old 01-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I broke another top plate over the weekend. I had big washers on the top and bottom and my ballstud was still tight. The really frustrating part was what broke the plate was such a minor incident. I was coming around a 180 and another car dove inside me for the pass and punted (slid) me over a few feet. The impact of that car tapping me snapped it off again. The impact didn't even wreck me or push me into a pipe or wall. Just a good bump to my right rear wheel and it was done

The only lucky thing is that it was the other side as the previous breakage, so now I have two top plates stacked and I'm using the inner ball stud position where there's plate left on even the broken ones. Now I just need some setup work to make up for the tower being raised up the thickness of the other plate. I moved the shocks to the inside hole on the arm and it was a handful during the main after I'd been driving 2 days with them outside.

I just hope Associated is able to make and get a change out soon, I really doubt that I'm going to by another top plate if the 1 and a half I have on each side breaks. At $20 a pop it ain't worth it.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by glitchy
I broke another top plate over the weekend. I had big washers on the top and bottom and my ballstud was still tight. The really frustrating part was what broke the plate was such a minor incident. I was coming around a 180 and another car dove inside me for the pass and punted (slid) me over a few feet. The impact of that car tapping me snapped it off again. The impact didn't even wreck me or push me into a pipe or wall. Just a good bump to my right rear wheel and it was done

The only lucky thing is that it was the other side as the previous breakage, so now I have two top plates stacked and I'm using the inner ball stud position where there's plate left on even the broken ones. Now I just need some setup work to make up for the tower being raised up the thickness of the other plate. I moved the shocks to the inside hole on the arm and it was a handful during the main after I'd been driving 2 days with them outside.

I just hope Associated is able to make and get a change out soon, I really doubt that I'm going to by another top plate if the 1 and a half I have on each side breaks. At $20 a pop it ain't worth it.
Not sure what your problem is with the top plate, all the guys that have B44s at the track were I race including me have yet to break one, and we all drive them like we stold them, all we seem to be breaking are A-arms and front shock shafts. maybe you are tightening the ball studs to tight, i tighten mine just untill it feels good and snug, being carefull not to over tighten.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The guys that are breaking the top plate...did they CA the edges...I have yet to break mine and it has been through some BIG crashes
Old 01-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lovell
The guys that are breaking the top plate...did they CA the edges...I have yet to break mine and it has been through some BIG crashes
how do you do that ? ca the edges. thinking about doing it to my atomic carbon shock towers.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

RB FIVE...I use LOSI thin CA with the wicking tube...I apply small amounts to the edge and use a tooth pick to spread the glue evenly along the edge...it only takes a small amount...once it dries I sand with 1000 grit sand paper and apply another light coat...I don't sand the last coat...I do this to all my graphite parts

C.R. Lovell
Old 01-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Take some jewelers files and file the edges round. Then simply take CA and a QTip and squirt some glue on the QTip and smear the edges. Don't use too much. Look for a good glossy surface, and if it still looks dull reapply some more glue.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Here's my top plate fix. Replaced the ball studs with some 10mm ones. Shock tower not effected. Also I put way bigger washers under the studs (same thickness as stock). The brace is a hack job but I did it in like 15 minutes with a dremal.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43...opplatefix.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43...pplatefix2.jpg

Last edited by RBMike; 01-15-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That looks like a great way to beef it up!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I started sealing my carbon fiber parts with CA from my onroad days. CRC has a good how-to on chassis prep on their site.

Carbon Fiber Chassis Prep

As always, use caution when working with CA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.