Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) >

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I will build it by the instructions just wasnt sure if there was any tips that the book doesnt cover
Old 11-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by thisguy2849
I will build it by the instructions just wasnt sure if there was any tips that the book doesnt cover

No not really, Thanks.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
No not really, Thanks.
Man Paul, you've been hovering around this thread all day. You need to go see a movie =). I hear the new Twilight movie is out! (New Moon)

Or if Twilight movies aren't your thing maybe post the best setup you got for Xray T3 EU with Jaco Blues on carpet 100ft strait.

If you post the setup tonight, I'll know you're not out seeing that Twilight film. Otherwise, well, I won't tell anyone about your secret vampire love.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChristopherKee
Man Paul, you've been hovering around this thread all day. You need to go see a movie =). I hear the new Twilight movie is out! (New Moon)

Or if Twilight movies aren't your thing maybe post the best setup you got for Xray T3 EU with Jaco Blues on carpet 100ft strait.

If you post the setup tonight, I'll know you're not out seeing that Twilight film. Otherwise, well, I won't tell anyone about your secret vampire love.
Well played.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

I am just wondering what you would change to your car if it were oversteer on low speed corner entry?

Had a race on the weekend and struggle with rear end grip when backing off for tight corners. Going into sweepers the car was great, but when backing off that last to get the car around a tight corner the rear of the car would slide easily. This was running mod, but was also happening with with a 10.5.

I tried different shock positions and different oils and none of that helped. I was running anti-dive on the front, which helped a little but I felt the front of the chassis was dropping too much off power and putting too much weight over the front wheels, but I am not quite sure what else to change.

Thanks again

Josh
Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Happy Thanksgiving Paul to you and your family.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default camber links

Hi Paul,
Can you tell me the handling difference between a longer and a shorter front camber link/
thank you
Old 11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

dot dot dot dot thirteen twoooooooo dot dot dot...
Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Paul,

What do you think about VRC? Did you try it? Does(Did) it really help you to improve driving and setup skills?

I have a theory. Example: There is a track which has a very tight line and that is risky because you really need to pass close to the curbs. If you can, you can hit 18.0s laps for example. Safer drive would make around 18.3-.4s laptime.

There is a top driver who always hits 18.0 best lap and 18.1-18.2 average laps.
And there is an average driver who rarely hits 18.0 on his runs and mostly 18.1-18.2 as best and 18.4-18.5 as average laps.
So this is the question: If you were the average driver, would you try to run on the risky and fast line after crashing again and again to be faster, or would you calm down, drive smoothly on your confy line and become faster as time passes. Which one would be more effectly?

Hope I expressed myself correctly.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello Paul

This question probably been asked before. Running a Epic duo 2 on full timing
and a speed passion pro 2 on full timing do both work together or doe's one of them take over the advanced timing.
Thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Oh Paulie, I've joined the Dark Side...picked up Earboy's 009 now he has the T3..........

Happy Trails Geezah,

Jacko
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
Oh Paulie, I've joined the Dark Side...picked up Earboy's 009 now he has the T3..........

Happy Trails Geezah,

Jacko
Welcome aboard Jacko. See ya this weekend.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
paul,

do you feel that winning races has made you into the champion that you are today?

- david dorsey
My son Jason and I met Paul a few months back on our second trip to Trackside in Milwaukee. We are new to RC and it was the third time Jason raced sedan. When Jason lost an Xray specific bushing out of a c-hub that Trackside did not have in stock I was directed to Paul as "the Xray guy". Being new to RC I had no real idea of Paul's involvment in the sport or race history but I was happy when he provided me with a bushing (taken out of a car) so my son could race. Over the past few months Paul has given me his time and helped me learn how to setup the Xray for when Jason races onroad. I have also taken the time to read this thread over the past few months and must say that when Paul says just stop buy and ask for help, if he has time he will try to help you, he really means it.

Jason raced offroad at Trackside this weekend and drove out of his head in the qualifying. He ran 4 classes and qualified very well in all of them. During the mains he had some equipment problems when he was poised to win two of the classes. Pauls insight/advice allowed me to stay calm and in turn help my son. I thought I would post this bit of information here as I remembered the question above being asked of Paul.

I asked Paul Monday just before he left for Cleveland on Monday for some advice as I felt I was becomming a bad soccer dad. Paul said that when he looks back at all the times he raced in the past, and the things that went wrong or the events that made him upset, they were all really not that important. The important thing was he got a chance to drive and race. What was really important was driving his RC car. How well he did one particular time or what happened during the race really didn't matter as much as that he wanted to drive and got a chance to. He told me to "just sit back and let Jason do his thing".

Paul, you may have been racing in Cleveland this weekend, but you were a Champion at Trackside in Milwaukee Saturday night.

Thanks again, Keith and Jason.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
Hi Paul,

I am just wondering what you would change to your car if it were oversteer on low speed corner entry?

Had a race on the weekend and struggle with rear end grip when backing off for tight corners. Going into sweepers the car was great, but when backing off that last to get the car around a tight corner the rear of the car would slide easily. This was running mod, but was also happening with with a 10.5.

I tried different shock positions and different oils and none of that helped. I was running anti-dive on the front, which helped a little but I felt the front of the chassis was dropping too much off power and putting too much weight over the front wheels, but I am not quite sure what else to change.

Thanks again

Josh
Hi Josh, i would go to a touch thicker rear oil and legnthen my rear camberlink first. try that, otherwise i would shorten the front of my car 1mm by pulling the arms back. try that stuff and let me know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dane
Happy Thanksgiving Paul to you and your family.
Thanks Dane!

Originally Posted by grouchy
Hi Paul,
Can you tell me the handling difference between a longer and a shorter front camber link/
thank you
Hi, I feel like a longer front link is slower to react but still rolls a lot. also a longer front link should make the car easier to drive on power.

Originally Posted by Xpress
dot dot dot dot thirteen twoooooooo dot dot dot...
Oh yea

Originally Posted by musti72
Hi Paul,

What do you think about VRC? Did you try it? Does(Did) it really help you to improve driving and setup skills?

I have a theory. Example: There is a track which has a very tight line and that is risky because you really need to pass close to the curbs. If you can, you can hit 18.0s laps for example. Safer drive would make around 18.3-.4s laptime.

There is a top driver who always hits 18.0 best lap and 18.1-18.2 average laps.
And there is an average driver who rarely hits 18.0 on his runs and mostly 18.1-18.2 as best and 18.4-18.5 as average laps.
So this is the question: If you were the average driver, would you try to run on the risky and fast line after crashing again and again to be faster, or would you calm down, drive smoothly on your confy line and become faster as time passes. Which one would be more effectly?

Hope I expressed myself correctly.

Hi!. I tried VRC one time, it was fun but i didnt find the set up changes to be accurate to the feel of changing a real cars set up. I played it for about 10 min then ran my TC immediately after and hit everything on the track, LOL. I guess it could be good for practice but i dont play it.
i try and drive at a pace that i wont be crashing much, and depending on your level of focus you can drive harder sometimes without crashing. I dont think their is a more effective way of practicing as long as your challanging yourself with a class or track that is difficult for you.
Thnaks

Originally Posted by the catman
Hello Paul

This question probably been asked before. Running a Epic duo 2 on full timing
and a speed passion pro 2 on full timing do both work together or doe's one of them take over the advanced timing.
Thanks
I think they work together but i havent run or tested any of SP's new speedos to know. sorry.

Originally Posted by Victor Vector

Happy Trails Geezah,

Jacko
Cool man, good luck with it!.

Originally Posted by kghills
My son Jason and I met Paul a few months back on our second trip to Trackside in Milwaukee. We are new to RC and it was the third time Jason raced sedan. When Jason lost an Xray specific bushing out of a c-hub that Trackside did not have in stock I was directed to Paul as "the Xray guy". Being new to RC I had no real idea of Paul's involvment in the sport or race history but I was happy when he provided me with a bushing (taken out of a car) so my son could race. Over the past few months Paul has given me his time and helped me learn how to setup the Xray for when Jason races onroad. I have also taken the time to read this thread over the past few months and must say that when Paul says just stop buy and ask for help, if he has time he will try to help you, he really means it.

Jason raced offroad at Trackside this weekend and drove out of his head in the qualifying. He ran 4 classes and qualified very well in all of them. During the mains he had some equipment problems when he was poised to win two of the classes. Pauls insight/advice allowed me to stay calm and in turn help my son. I thought I would post this bit of information here as I remembered the question above being asked of Paul.

I asked Paul Monday just before he left for Cleveland on Monday for some advice as I felt I was becomming a bad soccer dad. Paul said that when he looks back at all the times he raced in the past, and the things that went wrong or the events that made him upset, they were all really not that important. The important thing was he got a chance to drive and race. What was really important was driving his RC car. How well he did one particular time or what happened during the race really didn't matter as much as that he wanted to drive and got a chance to. He told me to "just sit back and let Jason do his thing".

Paul, you may have been racing in Cleveland this weekend, but you were a Champion at Trackside in Milwaukee Saturday night.

Thanks again, Keith and Jason.
Cool, Thanks. Im really glad that that stuck because it is really important to keep in mind. I have to tell myself that all the time, Like when i broke on the first lap of the 12th mod a-main in cleveland last week. LOL.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Paul,
Thanks again for your help and support.
Did you run the new link car in 12th mod ? Do you fell that its a good improvement compared to the Tbar car and in what way?
Thanks
Didier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.