Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What things are you looking forward to most in 2008... >

What things are you looking forward to most in 2008...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What things are you looking forward to most in 2008...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SWTour
For 2008, I would like to see

More "GRASS ROOTS" Parking Lot races. (Return the hobby to where it started...so hopefully it can GROW again, and do it RIGHT this time)

A 'unified' idea on how to have classes 'ENTRY LEVEL' racers can drive and have FUN with w/o taking a 2nd mortgage on their houses.

MORE Video Coverage (Live or Taped) of big races...available 'on the net'

I like this part the best..........affordable class with enough wiggle to allow anything of the same basic design to compete against each other for new people to start with. It was a breakout lap time for us...could be a kids class........something!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Lower race fees at the major races. There is no reason to charge $65-$75 for an entry. Especially when it is bring your own motor.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
lipo for 1/12 'like that can be done'
Marcos is claiming a 21.5/lipo should be equivalent to 10.5/4c.. anyone else care to comment?? let's stop piddling around and work this out. after snowbirds, the 4c's i buy for it go out the window and possibly the car if we don't get it nailed.

I look forward to be able to go somewhere to race and not wait 45 minutes for my battery to charge before i get on the track. (practice like you race)
Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

1) Racing with friends and having FUN. Although this is a competitive hobby, having fun and showing it is the best way to draw in some new blood into this hobby.

2) The Tekin Brushless system - can't wait for this!!!!

3) Finally putting an end to the Lipo vs. NiMH war and let the racers choose the battery of choice for their cars... with appropriate weight limits enforced.

4) Continued development of BL systems that will allow for longer races. There is no reason why we can't have 8 minute 1/10 scale races and 10 minute 1/12 scale runs.

5) People to stop bitching about everything and just getting out to support their local track / hobby shops.

6) *A WISH!!!* That manufactures actually work together and help grow this hobby outside our community. As a Marketing Professional, I have to say that this hobby does a TERRIBLE job in promoting itself outside of the people that already know about it. IMO, ROAR should be responsible in promoting RC to grow awareness and exposure to bring in new racers. There are so many ways to do this without costing a fortune it's not even funny.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scootr117
I like this part the best..........affordable class with enough wiggle to allow anything of the same basic design to compete against each other for new people to start with. It was a breakout lap time for us...could be a kids class........something!!!
'out of the box' RTR/kit class. especially for us noobs
Old 12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
Marcos is claiming a 21.5/lipo should be equivalent to 10.5/4c.. anyone else care to comment??
Actually, the 17.5/lipo is probably closer to the 10.5/4cell. At least that is what we've found on the Oval Tracks. On many tracks we actually run those two together and they are SOOOO very close.

The 21.5/LIPO would probably be better compared to the 13.5/4 cell, which is a little quicker than we'd hoped for when testing it...but it doesn't have the RIP feel off the corners and is kind of flat feeling...so while it's been faster than STOCK/4cell it almost doesn't feel like it.

Originally Posted by duckman996
There is no reason why we can't have 8 minute 1/10 scale races and 10 minute 1/12 scale runs.
There ARE a few reasons why not to do 8 min and 10 min races.. One of which is TIME. If you were to add that much TIME to all the qualifiers and mains, you would pretty much DOUBLE the time it takes to run a daily race program. If your people putting the events on are being paid, expect your entry fee to come close to doubling to KEEP them paid. (Think of it as having someone come to your workplace and saying - HEY - we could DOUBLE PRODUCTION by just having the employees work DOUBLE SHIFTS...w/o wanting to PAY them for the 2nd shift.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Actually, the 17.5/lipo is probably closer to the 10.5/4cell. At least that is what we've found on the Oval Tracks. On many tracks we actually run those two together and they are SOOOO very close.

The 21.5/LIPO would probably be better compared to the 13.5/4 cell, which is a little quicker than we'd hoped for when testing it...but it doesn't have the RIP feel off the corners and is kind of flat feeling...so while it's been faster than STOCK/4cell it almost doesn't feel like it.

There ARE a few reasons why not to do 8 min and 10 min races.. One of which is TIME. If you were to add that much TIME to all the qualifiers and mains, you would pretty much DOUBLE the time it takes to run a daily race program. If your people putting the events on are being paid, expect your entry fee to come close to doubling to KEEP them paid. (Think of it as having someone come to your workplace and saying - HEY - we could DOUBLE PRODUCTION by just having the employees work DOUBLE SHIFTS...w/o wanting to PAY them for the 2nd shift.
I think your math is off first of all. It WILL NOT double the time of a race day - maybe add 20-25% more time as we know the time wasted in a race is the time it takes to get drivers on the stands and races running. ALSO, extending the length of a race is going to draw in more people who see this as an opportunity to getting more milage out of the money they invest into this hobby. Show me how adding 2 or 3 minutes to a heat doubles the time in a race day? Hypothetically, let's say a typical club race has 10 heats.... each heat running for 5 minutes. That equals 50 minutes per round plus if the race is run really efficient - a couple minutes between heats to get the next round up. SO all in all we are looking at 70 minutes per round x 4 = 280 minutes... lets round up to 300 minutes or 5 hours to run a race. Let's now look at the time it would take to run the same race with 7 minute rounds.... we are looking at a race day of 360 minutes... or 6 hours. That is 17% more time at the track.... how is that DOUBLE? Even at 8 minutes, we are at about 25% more time... again - DOUBLE?

SURE, we can keep doing what we are doing now, however what is that doing for the hobby.... ummm declining attendance? People need to be more open-minded and stop resiting change.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Im looking for our offroad track to buy more rock-free dirt. I am going to start racing 10th TC after the new year, and looking forward to helping out at both clubs that I am a part of. I also want to attend a regional or national offroad race this year. Also looking forward to having 2 clubs that I am a part of start some points racing between the 2 clubs.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Duckman,

I've probably been involved in more changes in RC Racing than anyone I know...

I'm constantly trying to change things up...and I know how much time is added to a program by making the races longer (I've already DONE it for several events)

Most racing in the U.S. I believe is still 4 minutes, your proposal was to go to 8. DOUBLE 4 = 8. As for 1/12th scale, they are already 8 indoors I believe (Don't know this for sure...when WE run 1/12th we only run 5)

But I can tell you - LONGER RACES at Local Races can create LONGER times due to LONGER Charge Times, due to MORE battery used.

Also, when you add 2 minutes here, and 2 minutes there..for what ever reason STRAY minutes seem to get added as well. What should have only taken 2 extra minutes turns into 3.

If your program has 10 HEATS per round @ 4 minutes per round = that's 40 minutes per round of RACING...if you now make that 10 rounds at 80 minutes per round - YOUR Program just doubled.

Now if you want to add in the break time between rounds, to offset that - so be it...all I can do is site Reality, not hypothetical rhetoric. I run races, I like changes...I've created changes, and I'll keep creating changes...

What people who make suggestions like yours fail to realize is that there are always 'unforseen' things that seem to arise when programs are changed. Issues people didn't think of.

We've faced many issues with longer races...and doubling the length of the program...or coming really close to doubling it was just one of the concerns that arose. The EXTRA wear and tear on TIRES, was also an issue. The fact that the racing in some cases got BORING, BORING, BORING to watch, announce, and corner marshal for was another.

...Now something we did that was VERY exciting recently...was to SHORTEN the qualifiers...and lenghten ONLY the mains.

The program took virtually the same amount of time to run...recharge time was quick on the batteries...the pace of the heats was FAST, and EXCITING, and the mains were something you had to use a little more forethought about...since after running short qualifying you didn't know how your car would do running 3x's as long in the main. (The heats were 2 1/2 minutes, and mains almost 8, but were set by # of LAPS instead of by actual TIME)

You are on the right track - IMHO, but just simply adding time I don't think is the answer.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This year our nitro offroad track changed the mains from 15min to 20min but usually we only have between 2-4 mains. EVERYONE at our track has liked the change. Our quals still sit at 5min. The change that the club liked was 1 extra pit stop for almost everyone, and the fact your vehicle had to me quite a bit better maintained and tuned. Most of the guys at our club will likely never go to a regional or national and experience 45min mains, but it gave us so much more excitement by adding just a measly 5 minutes.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Racing has been 5 minutes for 1/10 TC and 8 minutes for 1/12 for years now.... sorry, where are you getting 4 minutes from? Is that the time for oval?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

- lipo and brushless regulations
- electrics come back
- more fun less price
- pan cars and f1 comeback (rear wheel drive)

Thats all........
Old 12-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Lipo for 1/12 scalers
KO Propo brushless and 2.4hz system
Roar reduce the 53 oz. weight requirement to help making weight with Lipo
Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

For 2008, I would like to see

ROAR have a record increase in the amount of members.

A ROAR National Title actually mean something again.

R/C Mfg's work on getting themselves aligned in the market with their manufacturing and for once do something that is RIGHT for the RACERS instead of pitting racer against racer in defense of THIER products.

ONE certified set of Standards for Brushless Motors - locked in for a minimum of 3 years.

ONE certified set of Standards for both NiMh AND Lipo batteries, locked in for a minimum of 2 years.

A return to a Standardized VOLTAGE for 1/10th scale electric racing 'WORLDWIDE'

More "GRASS ROOTS" Parking Lot races. (Return the hobby to where it started...so hopefully it can GROW again, and do it RIGHT this time)

A 'unified' idea on how to have classes 'ENTRY LEVEL' racers can drive and have FUN with w/o taking a 2nd mortgage on their houses.

MORE Video Coverage (Live or Taped) of big races...available 'on the net'

Tekin's SENSORED/BRUSHLESS ESC.
Ditto.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm looking forward to TCS racing next year with the new rules for brushless and lipo. I just hope they add more tracks next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.