Wiki Posts
Search

why are we still running sub-c cells??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
So deos drag racing but run 4.50's in the 1/4 using that old pushrod technoloy. Bad thing is they are like NIMH and blow up or just don't last long.
ya got a point there, but damn are they fast!

Lets see now, should I run nitro or alcohol in my 19t sedan?
There is just a small diff between nimh and lipo, not that much, but enough.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
And this from a guy with a nascar advatar!
Lets see, nascar still runs pushrod V8's with carbs'
There's HIGH TECH for ya!

Moron!!!!!!!

yea, and dale sr. IS NOT A 7 TIME NEXTEL CUP CHAMPION, HE IS A 7 TIME WINSTON CUP CHAMPION, WHEN YOU COULD TELL WHAT KIND OF CAR THEY WERE DRIVING BY LOOKING AND NOT BY THE DARN DECAL ON THE HOOD.

TRUE DAT homer.

(did that for you buddy)
Old 12-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skypilot
yea, and dale sr. IS NOT A 7 TIME NEXTEL CUP CHAMPION, HE IS A 7 TIME WINSTON CUP CHAMPION, WHEN YOU COULD TELL WHAT KIND OF CAR THEY WERE DRIVING BY LOOKING AND NOT BY THE DARN DECAL ON THE HOOD.

TRUE DAT homer.

(did that for you buddy)
Yah , but the power supply hasn't changed
Old 12-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default trackpower

Trackpower, you are right. I will never incorporate anyone's points again and I will always take someone else's thoughts and repeat them as my own, and hope, no demand, to get the credit. From this point I will assume that I am the smartest person on rctech. Further, I will start to immediately stereotype and judge people based on who I think they are. But then, I would become you; darn, I just broke the first rule. So, are you 16 yet?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Trackpower, you are right. I will never incorporate anyone's points again and I will always take someone else's thoughts and repeat them as my own, and hope, no demand, to get the credit. From this point I will assume that I am the smartest person on rctech. Further, I will start to immediately stereotype and judge people based on who I think they are. But then, I would become you; darn, I just broke the first rule. So, are you 16 yet?
lol,dude have a nice day,u are dumb
Old 12-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am running sub C's until march , that is when I will go LiPo and brushless for Sedan.

But I will still have the 4 cell 1/12 scale cars to use the old sub C's untill 1/12 gets the brushless Lipo conversion completed.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skruger

I am running sub C's until march , that is when I will get a new chassis and go LiPo and brushless for Sedan.

But I will still have the 4 cell 1/12 scale cars to use the old sub C's untill 1/12 gets the brushless Lipo conversion completed.
wise move,i have a feeling roar will legalize lipo and brushless by that time.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

i dont know if iv said this before but i run sub c cells in my 1/12 and i think if lipos where legal in tc c cells would not be around and 1/12 would die.
so they have to figure out how to do lipo for 1/12 if they can.
i run lipo in my offloads though.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:32 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

ya got a point there, but damn are they fast!

Lets see now, should I run nitro or alcohol in my 19t sedan?
There is just a small diff between nimh and lipo, not that much, but enough.
Go for the alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
sent you a pm bro....
Chris
Old 12-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wyd
I believe in the Big Bang theory ! nitro

Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the _ideal_, from an engineering point of view, way to get lipos into 1/12 racing is to redesign much of the 1/12 'forumula.'

--The new formula
2s lipo (8.4v open circuit, down to around 7v under heavy load)
smaller motor
redesign rear pod around the smaller motor

--My reasoning
The 540 sized motor is too big for the weight of a 1/12 car. The only way to keep the speeds reasonable for the spec classes is to enforce a horribly compromised motor (high turn, crappy magnets...) running ridiculously low voltage (again with the purpose of forcing inefficient motor operation).

So, step up to what is still a low voltage (2s lipo) but downsize the motor. This will allow reasonable gear ratios, 2s lipo, lighter cars, and well-suited ESCs.

Obviously the problem with this plan is that racers put consistent, uninterrupted fun above an ideally engineered system. So, it'll never happen, and we'll continue to see the non-ideal compromises (super low voltage, annoying and outdated batteries, ridiculous motor designs (i.e. 21t BL) and gear ratios).

Ahh racing. Is it about pushing the limits of machine and human performance, or isn't it?

-Adam
Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default 1/12 scale and lipo

The biggest problem I see in 1/12 scale is the same problem as in 1/10 scale, people are trying to find equivalent motors and batteries in lipo and bl as for nimh and brushed. This is simply not going to happen.

Winding a bl motor at 21t is not that different than wiring it at 13.5 turns, the wire is thinner and there is more of it, that's the difference. Brushless technology doesn't lose its inherent advantages because the motors have more winds and are slower. In terms of lipo for 1/12, 7.4v is fine, but you need a slower motor. For batteries, take a look at the r/c plane and helicopter market, they have plenty of 2 cell lipo packs that would fit into any 1/12 scale that can use a 4 cell straight pack (not split pack.) In terms of the motors, a lighter 540 brushless motor would work fine. The only thing to add would be some weight under the lipo pack to maintain the weight balance of the car.

All of this can be done today with existing products. The only thing holding everything back is the search for equivalency.

Trackpower, are you 14 yet?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...WAY off subject (nothing NEW here on RCTech) but how about 1/12th scale using the smaller B/L motors .

I know some of the AIRPLANES use a pretty small size motor, why stay with the HUGE/HEAVY 540 size B/L motor in a 1/12th scale car.

Can you imagine how LIGHT you can get a 1/12th scale car w/ LIPO and something closer to a 380 size motor? Plus you could use maybe the MICRO B/L ESC's...for even MORE wight savings...ADAMGE is right-on with this concept...

ADAMGE - what don't you like about the 21.5 motor? It's no different than any other motor...it has a purpose and if it's not the speed for you - don't run it. (Just as I don't/won't run a 3.5)

Some people like pushing the envelope on one end of the spectrum of speed...where others like to go a totally different direction...doesn't make EITHER SIDE Wrong...just different~
Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I believe in the Big Bang theory ! nitro

4th of July has come early.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.