Big or Small Spur Gear???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big or Small Spur Gear???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Regional Moderator

It really shouldn't matter, as long as the ratio is the same, since you are spinning up the entire system, not just the spur. You'd have to weigh the spur/pinion combination to see if there was a weight difference, but I'd bet that the difference is minimal, at best. Just tap one less board and any differences will probably be negated.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm currently running the SMALLEST Spur Gear I can find.

I run the PRS 64 Pitch 76 tooth SPUR GEAR. This is to get a tall enough ROLLOUT for the class I run on a Bicycle VELODROME

That TINY spur was coupled with a 63 tooth PINION yesterday to run laps over 52 mph in our SLOWEST Brushless class. (Rollout 6.5 - RATIO 1.206:1)

When running HIGH RPM motorsk, we use Larger Spurs to get the ratio, when running LOW RPM motors, we use Smaller Spurs.

When I ran a 7x1 MOD motor last year with our 4 cell oval cars on a short track, I ran a 128/18 on short foam tires. (Rollout .97 - RATIO 7.111:1)