Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIPO battery kills man...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Man my first thought was: Damn Chuck Norris punched that guy sooo hard in the chest pocket that his phone exploded and killed him. lol This is just to damn funny guys.

Keep it up.

OWNAGE PAGE 2
Old 12-01-2007, 04:53 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
From the linked article in post 24:

A spokesman for the company denied that the battery could have exploded.

"Unlike lithium ion batteries, lithium polymer batteries cannot suddenly explode," the spokesman told Yonhap, adding that lithium polymer batteries are used in most mobile phones these days for safety reasons.

I highlighted my favorite parts :-)
Yes Rick Hohwart, I thought doing the same you did.

I am waiting for the day when in electric cars racing only lipo cells are allowed...for safety reasons
Old 12-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
From the linked article in post 24:

A spokesman for the company denied that the battery could have exploded.

"Unlike lithium ion batteries, lithium polymer batteries cannot suddenly explode," the spokesman told Yonhap, adding that lithium polymer batteries are used in most mobile phones these days for safety reasons.

I highlighted my favorite parts :-)
I think Research in Motion needs to step up then. Just opened the newest Blackberry and it's got Lithium-Ion.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duckman996
Mobile phone may have killed quarry worker

Thu Nov 29, 9:38 AM

SEOUL (Reuters) - A 33-year-old South Korean quarry worker was found dead with a burning mobile phone stuck to his chest, police and the doctor who examined the man said on Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The man, who was pronounced dead on arrival at a hospital, had burns on his chest, fractured ribs and internal bleeding, the doctor said.

"When he was admitted into the emergency room, the melted mobile phone was stuck to the left side of his shirt," said Kim Hoon, professor at emergency department at Chungbuk National University Hospital, who examined the victim.

"I cannot think of any other cause of his death other than his mobile phone exploding," Kim said.

Police said they are investigating that as a possible cause and whether it was triggered by a faulty battery, Yonhap news agency reported. It will take about 10 days to complete the probe into what led to the death.

"He (the victim) was found lying next to an excavator while working at a stone quarry," an official from the Cheongju Heungdeok police station, about 100 km (60 miles) southeast of Seoul, told Reuters.

Witness Kwon Young-sup told national broadcaster YTN: "He was lying on the ground and his mobile phone was still burning so I had to put the fire out."