Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Nitro TC3 shipping today! >

Nitro TC3 shipping today!

Nitro TC3 shipping today!

Old 12-18-2001, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

bbntc3: the internals of the diffs are somewhat the same. Same balls (heh heh, I said balls), same gears, bearings, etc. The design is a bit different (as you'll see when you build the car) to accomodate running a ball diff in a gas car. Most gas cars come with gear diffs because they can withstand the rigors of long gas races better than ball diffs can....but, I think Associated fixed this problem. They feel nice and tight, but still extremely smooth. They did their homework with these babies...

The CVD's are actually longer. These are the same CVD's you'll find in the rally kit. Extends to make the car 200mm.

All kits come with a 2-speed.

The car is just so cool to look at. It's gonna be a serious contender...not doubt about it!
Old 12-18-2001, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

The new diff design is so unique is has been applied for a patent. If memory serves me correctly, it is called ATD (Associated Traction Drive).
Old 12-18-2001, 08:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey KG, did you ask Barry how many driveshafts did he break during the Castle race? If the car wsa designed from ground up, why are they calling it the TC3 nitro? What are you smoking? I want some.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

I didn't ask him about that but I will today if you would like. The reason for the TC3 naming for a completely new design is that is is distinctly TC3 in appearence. If you place the two next to each other you can see they are both in the same family line. Many of the parts are similair in design even if they do not bolt right up the both cars.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Steve - Barry should have been running the new aluminum driveshaft. It is standard in all the Nitro TC3 kits. If he was running a carbon shaft, it was probably because he didn't HAVE the new aluminum shaft. And, I can say, the carbon shaft would not handle the extreme torque of the new car.

The design of the car is distinctly TC3, but the parts were re-designed 'from the ground up' to make them much stronger than the original TC3. Nitro cars need to be more beefier than electrics.

As Kerry noted, if you put the two next to each other you can see they are both TC3 cars.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Then it is NOT a completely new design as Kerry saidd in the earlier post. 'Redesigned' is the word.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:07 PM

Whatever you want to call it. Point is that it has been specifically designed for the class. I think the drivetrain similarity is probably the biggest reason to call it a TC3. Maybe they'll roll the PB suspension into the electrics as an upgrade. It wouldn't take much work. Right now, the way I see it the .12 sedan class has a bunch of heavier 1/8 scalish cars(mugen,kyosho,trinity, and yok), and a bunch of lightweight cars(NTC3, NOB4,HPI,TGR?). The lightweights being under 60 oz(usually 54-56) and the heavies being as high as 65 oz. Thats a huge difference. I'm pretty sure the NTC3 will be the lightest car on the market, couple that with the lowest drag drivetrain and watchout...
Old 12-18-2001, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

AE isn't sure about using pillowballs on the electric, the extra weight could be a real issue. However, advances in the drivetrain and the new steering rack could easily move to the electric.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:12 PM

I raced a conversion gas tc3 for 2 years ,4 engines and almost 10 gallon of fuel, you could not race a car any harder and never broke a fiber driveshaft, I bent or twisted 2 alum shafts, and went back to the fiber one. Alum driveshafts has their advantages and disadvantages, the torque will flex the shaft and evenutally cause it to bend . I have twisted front cvds in half with a one way in the conversion and never broke a fiber driveshaft. I could 've just be lucky because I too have seen a few shafts break in electric TC3's, but it looks like a molding or bonding problem in the shafts material to me.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:12 PM

Kerry G : Thanks alot for the info about Ultimate Hobbies, they got the NTC3s today! At first they told me no way by christmas, but for a small extra bribe I get it Thursday!! Its amazing what money will do!!!!!! BB