Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Returning to R/C, new to TC's, need advise. >

Returning to R/C, new to TC's, need advise.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning to R/C, new to TC's, need advise.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blind Skwerl
Where can I get a FK05? Several years old = hard to find.
No there not hard to find just look on here in the for sale and trade forum or on ebay.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

checked the message board for sale/trade section... no dice for an 05. Might have a TC5 lined up, but you guys think a TC4 might be better for streeting? I'm pretty sure the shaft drive will better hander the power of a big Kv brushless.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

checked the message board for sale/trade section... no dice for an 05. Might have a TC5 lined up, but you guys think a TC4 might be better for streeting? I'm pretty sure the shaft drive will better hander the power of a big Kv brushless.
I think the tc4 would be better than the tc5 for the street.
Seems like I had just seen an fk05 on here though, it could have been ebay.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

...TC4 might be better for streeting? I'm pretty sure the shaft drive will better hander the power of a big Kv brushless.
The reason for shaft over belt is that running on the street or in a parking lot it is very likely debris (ie small stones Etc) could get caught in the drive line and belt cars are much more likely to have this cause damage to the car.

Look for a TC3, TC4 or XXX-S. The XXX-S is belted, but the drive line is completely enclosed and IMO probably the best choice.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Blind skwerl, The guys are giving good advice. I run out front on the street as well, my son inlaw, and step daughter, all have TC3's we have a ball, very durable, but parts are getting a little sparse. I bought up alot of used equipment on here, so we should be good for a while..If you go Tc4 route you should be golden, I also run a TA05 which is a great car, but have had a couple of belts/pulleys destruct due to stones...
I just put together a Corally RDX and have about ten packs through her with no signs of belt troubles, it has a more substantial set of belts compared to the Tamiya, and the chasis will also let stones fall through easier.Thats something to consider.. Similar to the X-Rays in belt/chasis design. You would probably appreciate a carbon fibre dual plate chasis (there are alot of them Mi3 rdx xray TRF 415 etc.) for the tech factor. They also run quiet and smooth. The RDX is like butter

If you where here about a month ago people were selling tc's left and right I guess they were upgrading for carpet season. If you hold out something will come up. We have a great For sale forum with a good feedback system...
Old 11-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

The xxxs is kinda brittle. I have one and it gets run on carpet, and the a-arms break pretty easy.
I'm not shure about the TC3 or TC4 it's true debris could get caught in the belts but I still think the XRAY FK05 is about the most durable.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Slakr said it the Losi line is awesome, I have a XXX4g+ which has the same belt set up as the XXX-S, Super Clever design, and easy to work on. Thats one TC I regret not picking up...
Old 11-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, so a TC4 it is. Factory Team, Team, or standard? Also, how big of a LiPo battery can I get in one of those?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ok, so a TC4 it is. Factory Team, Team, or standard? Saw a NIB TC4 Team kit in Tuscon. Good price too.
Excellent choice... for your application a standard would be more then fine. It's still plenty adjustable and will give you a durrable runner that will make sure you have some fun with your sons. A Team kit gives you some aluminum upgrades so if you can get that for cheap - do it.

LMAO at the people recommending A Corally Phi for street "bashing"... can I have some of your money?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

On the AE website internet specials you can get the FT TC4 for $189.99 and the RTR for $159.99

http://www.rc10.com/misc/internet_specials.htm
Old 11-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by duckman996
LMAO at the people recommending A Corally Phi for street "bashing"... can I have some of your money?
If you could honestly tell me a Corally PHI would keep me driving instead of wrenching, I'd buy it. I had about $2000 into my first rc car... back in the mid 80's!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't think anyone has suggested this yet and it's not exactly a touring car but maybe an AE 18r would be good for your purposes. Its cheap, durable, and can be made fast easily. Best of all it's a rally car so you can take it off small jumps without hurting it. Parts are cheap and can be found anywhere as well! Also its small so you can run it indoors better than a 1/10 tc.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Problem with that would be that I couldn't stop at "small jumps". I jumped my RC10 goldpan (loved that car) off the second story roof of my parents house. Dogbones were flying!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK, an Associated Factory Team TC4 is on the way. Now I have to figure out motor and ESC. I am going to be using a high powered setup, but want to start off with something a bit more tame until I get comfortable with it again. The mamba systems are adjustable through your pc; can you "de-tune" the settings to make them milder to begin with? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

P.S. - slakr, thanks for the info. A friend and I both bought new FT TC4's from Associated. Always loved their cars.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

yes i think you can, if not just set the throttle endpoints down to about 50% until you get the hang of things. then crank it up and away you go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.