Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New piston/sleeve. >

New piston/sleeve.

New piston/sleeve.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New piston/sleeve.

Ok, this is my first time actually buying just the piston and sleeve for my AE .15 Engine, and in the little package it comes with the piston inside the sleeve, although it is really tight because, of course, it isn't broken in. I have to install a conrad in it, and i don't know if I need to take the piston out to put the conrad in, because I'm scared to push it out because of scratching either the piston or sleeve. Any suggestions??
Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Unless you can perform magic, you will have to take the piston out, from the bottom. Use a soft wood dowel or plastic stick like the end of a tooth brush, but it should not be jammed in that hard unless someone forced it in the sleeve. Make sure you don't damage the piston pin clip when you take it out and check your conrod to crank bushing for wear at TDC. Also make sure your bearings are good, or you will trash that new P/S set.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Ok, thank you so much, I got it out, no problems. Now I need to know how I get the conrod off of the piston, it has that little bar in the middle. I need to get it off the old piston to put in the new one, how I do?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Day
Ok, thank you so much, I got it out, no problems. Now I need to know how I get the conrod off of the piston, it has that little bar in the middle. I need to get it off the old piston to put in the new one, how I do?
In order to remove the conrod, you'll need a needle point tweezer to remove the G spot.. oppss.. sorry, I mean the G clip (little bar) be careful, because the clip might fly away that you might lost it.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

A little trick that I learned with the blasted g-clip. Get a plastic bag of some flavor. (I used the one my piston/sleeve came in) Stick the piston and rod in it and then use the needle nose pliers or something like that to take it off. If it jumps, it'll stay in the bag and you don't lose the clip then.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Alright, Thanks a lot for your help guys, appreciate it alot .
Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

remember you must break it in again!

sexual enuendos? really guys come on lol
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Alright, instead of making another post of a new piston/sleeve, I'm going to put another question here..

I have this .12 Drake platinum edition engine, with no piston/sleeve because, well you guessed it, it's worn out. No biggie. But for some odd reason Trinity doesn't carry a new piston/sleeve for it, so I'm looking for another company that will fit in this engine. I've asked O.S. and they said they haven't tested it before, so they have no idea..

Anyone help??
Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Day
Alright, instead of making another post of a new piston/sleeve, I'm going to put another question here..

I have this .12 Drake platinum edition engine, with no piston/sleeve because, well you guessed it, it's worn out. No biggie. But for some odd reason Trinity doesn't carry a new piston/sleeve for it, so I'm looking for another company that will fit in this engine. I've asked O.S. and they said they haven't tested it before, so they have no idea..

Anyone help??
Unless the sleeve is all scrathed up check out rayaracing.com
All that and a bag of chips for 25 bucks.
: )
Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I would suggest replacing the wrist pin clip on the exhaust side at least, it gets a lot of heat on that side and can be brittle from removal and reinstall, would hate to see it fail/break and go through the engine ruining a brand new piston/sleeve. The clips are cheap...