Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Batteries- Generic Vs. Name Brand >

Batteries- Generic Vs. Name Brand

Batteries- Generic Vs. Name Brand

Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Batteries- Generic Vs. Name Brand

Hey guys, I've been looking for some batteries lately and wondering if there is any real difference between the name brand (Venom, Orion, GP, etc) versus something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-7-2V-3800mAh...QQcmdZViewItem

The above link is much more affordable, but would the performance be much less than a name brand pack?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

im sure those are fine for bashing around your yard , but , you get what you pay for , gp and orion are about the best , ray
Old 11-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If your in a budget try cheapbatterypacks.com They have the elites batteries and on my experience this battery are very good especially if your running brushless and also considering they are not zapped or matched, I've been running them for couples of years and they can compete with IB's EP's without problem but this batteries is good for club races only since they are not roar approved. I've been setting fast lap times using this batteries not to mention I'm the only one running 5 cell/Brushless on 19T expert class at my club. Just last week I TQ'd with a lap ahead and won the race using elites not bad for a cheap battery. And now I used my IB's as my practice packs (IB WC 4200 1.23)

I got fed up with IB venting and dead cells. Elites has very minimal self discharge they are not fragile like IB's. But I notice elites batteries doesn't like equalizing before charging because they run really flat if you do this. I just charge them and go I abused this cell every week at least 2-3 charges every race day and they are still running strong.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the responses!

I have used cheap battery packs in the past and they've done a great job. And it is really good to know that there are some reliable cells out there. If it's still running strong after a couple years (the batteries have lasted a couple of years?) that's great.

Haha, can't really beat two 3800mAh batteries with deans at $43 shipped to your door though... I guess I am wondering if there is anyone with experience as to All battery or a similar company. I don't want to buy these cells and find out that while racing, they'll want to explode when the car hits a bump. (or off a curb. Yeah...)
Old 11-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I forgot to ask: what is the average run time of packs of 3800mAh or 4200mAh? I was thinking about getting two packs so I can have one backup while I run the other one, but if the run time is long enough, then it doesn't really make sense to buy two, right?

I just found these on their actual site. heh.

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1894

I am a little scared...they're so cheap. I think I might go with the Elite 3600 from CBP.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I order 2 pack of Elite 3600 beginning of last year as starter box battery, after almost 2 year of usage in starter box it is now disassembled into 3 4cell pack for my 1/12th and have no issue at all while my newly purchase Orion IB4200 Match cell has 3 out of 8 dead now i am ordering some loose cell to replace the dead one in the IB4200 packs
Old 11-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think I'll end up getting these...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUH3&P=0
Old 11-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

funny to see this topic. I've got a few packs of good, matched 3000 mah cells. A friend of mine tossed at me some random ass 3200 mah pack that kicks the snot out of mine. Sure there's the 200 mah difference but the performance between the two is ungodly.

So in theory brand does matter. After my experience I'm not too sure.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ah okay. Well, do you guys think it makes sense to have two packs of batteries that are over 3000 mAh? I am thinking about getting two so I can switch off packs, and have an extra for more run time. However, the run time I get from a 3000mAh battery should be good.

Is there anyone here that doesn't actually race, but has more than two packs anyways?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i dissasmble old drills and such like for the old 'worn out'. i also have a PWM charger for alkaline batteries, that although doesnt charge NI-CAD's (cheapo drills) to full capacity seems to recondition them somewhat (knocks the crystals off the anode). i rip the pack apart, wrap the cells in insulation tape and cycle them a couple of times on the PWN charger (i've done 2 packs so far, 1 cycle each and i'll do a few more with more cycles one to see what it does) so i won't be racing but will have up to 8 packs so that means with a 4ah charger i will have a continuous supply of fresh batteries. should be fun