Wiki Posts
Search

Sirio - S21BK EVOIII STI

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)
Default Sirio - S21BK EVOIII STI

I am thinking of getting one, tell me what there is to expect if you have "hands on" experience with this engine, I am going to try it with a Sirio 2013 pipe and O'donnell 30% fuel. Does it come with standard button, turbo, both? tell me about its powerband and runtime, and longevity and any other info in regards to this engine including any break in tips.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Tech Master

If it has mild pinch after you put the flywheel on, just heat cycle it. If it has considerable pinch, blast about 4 tanks WOT at rich setting, then run it rich all day at least one day. Our last engine was getting almost 9 minutes on fuel, not too bad. Odonnell will get less. We run Sidewinder.

It comes with both buttons, and we run the turbo with OS P3 plug. If you are patient during break in, and keep the air filter clean, it will last forever.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Initiate

9 mins? thats great economy...

I can prob only get 7.30-7.50 on average.
maybe its the size of tracks here in uk?

but back to what pitpop said...the engines seem to last forever....I have 4 of them over the last year and half...STI and normal ones and they are all still running great.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

thanks for the info PK, and everyone else. Well, I think Im getting the engine very soon....bye bye RB........hello Sirio
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I never liked the Sirio Kanai ed II I had. It was really finicky to tune and just really inconistent. When it would hold a tune, though, it would scream.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've had the s21bx sti (blue head) for probably about 9 gallons now. It's been one of the best engines I've had.
Super reliable and I hardly ever had to fiddle with the tune much.

I got a 'light' pinch on it a couple of gallons ago and it seems to run even better now. I get 9 min, idles great and is stupid fast.

I'm planning on getting another one when this one finally wears out.

The only complaint I've had with it is the stock head material is too soft. The first two fins broke off at about the 5 gallon mark. I switched to a Werks head and it's great now..

I've also heard the older gen motors were indeed somewhat unreliable, but that was fixed with the new models..
Old 11-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by associatedguy
I never liked the Sirio Kanai ed II I had. It was really finicky to tune and just really inconistent. When it would hold a tune, though, it would scream.
Don't judge the Sirio line by the EVO2, the STI is much better. The BX was a very good engine too. Amezcua put on a clinic and TQ'd all four rounds of the Nationals with the BX. Star Motor is into product development, and they make progress with each version, and pass it on to the customers.

Speaking of the EVO III STI, Kyosho just got a shipment in. If you want one, strike while the iron is hot, they fly out of there pretty fast.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

isnt this the pretty much the same engine as the old werks 21-7???
Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

I don't know too much about Werks engines, besides the fact that Star Motor makes the parts for them. I'm sure there are some slight differences, especially with the EVO III STI having evolved quite a bit recently. I doubt all the latest timing adjustments and what not are in the Werks engines. Just an educated guess.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have owned and still own the BX STI, and the EVOIII STI, while at first the tuning seemed odd, and no power out of the EVOIII, i later found out, that i had a highly pinched motor from the factory, and while i heat cycle every engine i have ever broke in, this engine finally broke in, just after a gallon, and wow.. really woke up.. and is reliable, and very fast.. tune is never an option.. its gotten to a point that i sold my temp gun. thats how consistant it is.. i could almost tell you the temp everytime it came in.. still running strong,

I am running the standard head on both motors.. still leary of turbo engines.. i think i need a clinic on turbo tuning.. but i can tune the heck out of a non turbo engine..
Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
isnt this the pretty much the same engine as the old werks 21-7???
No, you have it backwards. The Works engines use old hardware from the Sirio line. For example, the "new" Works engines have the same block as the two-generations-old Sirio Collari engine. Good block, but it's about five years old.