Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Need motor and ESC recommendations: >

Need motor and ESC recommendations:

Need motor and ESC recommendations:

Old 05-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Need motor and ESC recommendations:

Hey guys,

I am about to buy my first upgraded motor and ESC. Gimme a hand, please. My primary goal is parking lot bashing and some tracking.

Let's here your recommendations for motors (brand, turns, & winds), ESC's (with reverse), and gearing (teeth and graphite or steel). Please include an explanation as to why you recommend them so I can make a well informed decision.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

What kind of car and what is your budget?

The Novak Brushless could be a good choice if you want performance and low maintenance. If you intend on racing, check your local track to see if they will allow you to run it. Otherwise, Novak GT-7 is a quality unit.

Tell us more about your car and expectations and we can help you out a lot more.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Budget is max of $200 for ESC & motor. Not quite enough for the novak brushless.

my goal is 25-50% more power (torque & top speed) than the set up that came with my stock (thus far) TC3 RTR.

I don't plan on ever racing by any stated rules. At the most, just some guys racing around a parking lot, so no "legalities" to worry about.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

If I we're you, I would definately save up for the Novak Brushless;

At Tower, it's 35$ more than your budget. You'll save money and time and hazzle, compared to a hot mod, which requires comm cutting every 5 runs. Maybe more often, depending on how many (or few!) turns. Not to mention more power and more runtime from a bruchless.

If you also need some more batteries, you can consider to buy some less expensive, since what you gain with a brushless, you dont need to pay for in batteries.

Besides, that TC3 is fast in itself. So it would probably be a killer combo
Old 05-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

You almost got me sold. Tell me more about the brushless. What kind of motor does it compare to: brand, turns, winds?
Old 05-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Check out this link;
Novak Brushless Review

The extra $35 is worth the investment.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Tech Initiate

But, i thought you cant race with Brushless motors yet...if you dont get a brushless, get a Novak Dually ESC (perfect for racing and bashing)
Old 05-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, I just ordered the Novak BL from Tower. It'll be here tomorrow and installed tomorrow night. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey, since I was the first to reccomend the Novak Brushless system you could atleast let me test it first. Send it to me and I'll return it in a couple of months. I want to make sure I gave you good advice and will need extensive testing.

Enjoy!
Old 05-28-2003, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

LOL! Let me run it for at least 15 minutes, in which time, I will break my car for the 3rd time in a week and then I'll send it to you. Cool?