Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SH 1/8 Buggy - You wanted innovation, you got it

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Don't know what to think about the rear droop adjustment but that's different. I'd worry about the adjustment bracket breaking the a-arm. But I used to think the same thing about the conventional adjustment and there doesn't seem to be a problem there.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Obviously it`s good enough for Jason Ashton

Got this off Neobuggy

Following Jason Ashton's news about leaving Sidorf, he posted this on the grid earlier, referring to the new buggy coming from engine manufacturers, SH:
"I went to Taiwan and tested the car for a week. It is actually very
good... It has alot of neat features."
Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Who knows. He was signing for AE somewhere in there so maybe the buggy didnt' make up his mind. But maybe it did. IDK.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1. front double kickup for better front end landing.
2. rear semi-trailing arm.
3. front upper arms have camber adjust cover.
4. relocated rear brake for faster and precise braking response.
5. engine slightly tilted to middle to to improve weight balance.
6. Consumed 2years to design.
7. CNC machined main chassis.
8. Ball joint on rear lower arms instead of hinge pin.

well... that's all that i know...

Last edited by TeeKuang; 10-25-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TeeKuang
5. engine slightly tilted to middle to to improve weight balance.
Does this add to any side loading of the piston? Like a full size v-6 or v-8. There is some loss on the simple fact that the rod and piston lay inside the bores. But an inline engine has less side loading going straight up and down. The Traxxas Revo always made me question this cause that engine is at a severe angle. Just wondering. But maybe that's just retarded on my part. LOL.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

progressive springs.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3
but of course, the bandwagon jumpers that posted above have to bad mouth everything...does this make them look good? no. Do they feel better saying stupid shit? Probably.

Get off your high horse kids.
It’s pretty pathetic that you would insult the intelligence of everyone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid drivel that you posted about this car. I've probably been running rc cars for longer than you've been wasting good oxygen. If you're going to post what amounts to advertising about the 400th cheap ass 1/8 buggy to hit the market in the last year, then you're going to need thicker skin to handle the mixed opinions that will result. It's clear you have an agenda (although I'm sure you won't cop to it now) in promoting this car, but I don't think you're off to a good start by saying anyone that disagrees with your propaganda is “saying stupid shit.” Your post is the only thing that qualifies as “stupid shit” so far, but I’m sure you’ll bless us with more before this discussion is over. The market is overflowing with enough crap already and its hurting buggy racing. Shops can’t possibly afford to stock even 5 percent of the cars and parts that are already out there, and people like you promote another me-too buggy want us to believe it’s the second coming of Christ. I’m starting to think that I was little hard on the O’Donnell car for not bringing anything new to the market, but as least they’ve been out there testing the car for years – this car just magically appears and we’re supposed to believe that it represents the cutting edge of innovation?! I think SH needs to focus on the business of making better engines - they still have a long way to go in that department. Leave the buggies to the people that have experience as chassis builders. Who’s going to have a 1/8 buggy next, RONCO?

Last edited by rcg33k; 10-26-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Interesting debate on both sides.

Everyone knows that in order to get a buggy out there, you have to get team drivers, and a LOT of Research and development time. You need to win big races and attract attention to get the masses to flock towards your design... innovative or not.

Some lessons to take: More adjustment is not always better, just more complicated. Ive seen a number of cases where drivers blame the car and setup rather than driver errors, then spend an hour tweaking and adjusting.

New design is new, but some things are tried and tested. There is a very good reason that many 1/8 scale cars look alike.

Win a world title with an XTM, Sportwerks, RONCO (lol) and youll sell thousands of them.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

awesome buggy and heaps of innovations.

wait and see how it performs on th track b4 criticizing it
Old 10-26-2007, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

maybe it's just the colors and the cheap looking plastic that they chose but that thing looks like something you would find on the shelf at Toys R Us.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by air8
Does this add to any side loading of the piston? Like a full size v-6 or v-8. There is some loss on the simple fact that the rod and piston lay inside the bores. But an inline engine has less side loading going straight up and down. The Traxxas Revo always made me question this cause that engine is at a severe angle. Just wondering. But maybe that's just retarded on my part. LOL.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool You guys are rough.....

Guys - I will tell you from expirience, you can not look at plastic in a picture and tell if it will hold or not. Look at the Kyosho cars. Their plastics are finished like poo and are some of the best in the business. Losi is stunning with how well their plastic is holding in the 8ight. I thought for sure it would be a nightmare. I only say this because I deal in plastics all the time and my own products are molded in much the same way.

This car has taken some steps that are on the cutting edge. Some of it looks pretty good. Only time and US enthusiasm will determine if it supported or not.

rcg33K - I agree that it appears this guy has an agenda. Good for him.
I would like to know why you feel SH needs work in their engine department. They make some of the finest engines for the money. And they make 10s of thousands of them to boot. We have never seen a bad one yet from our shop and they run with any top end mill out there given their class.
Having seen their R&D resources, I would think they could be quite good at building a car. They are an out of the box company with enough money behind them to get the job done.

One thing for sure, SH was good enough to get the Mach, Losi and Sportworks names as private labels for their stable of engines. Horizon is no joke when it comes to the products they will spend their money and stake their rep on.

Time will tell on this one.

Good stuff!! Keep us up to date please.
TEX
Old 10-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcg33k
It’s pretty pathetic that you would insult the intelligence of everyone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid drivel that you posted about this car. I've probably been running rc cars for longer than you've been wasting good oxygen. If you're going to post what amounts to advertising about the 400th cheap ass 1/8 buggy to hit the market in the last year, then you're going to need thicker skin to handle the mixed opinions that will result. It's clear you have an agenda (although I'm sure you won't cop to it now) in promoting this car, but I don't think you're off to a good start by saying anyone that disagrees with your propaganda is “saying stupid shit.” Your post is the only thing that qualifies as “stupid shit” so far, but I’m sure you’ll bless us with more before this discussion is over. The market is overflowing with enough crap already and its hurting buggy racing. Shops can’t possibly afford to stock even 5 percent of the cars and parts that are already out there, and people like you promote another me-too buggy want us to believe it’s the second coming of Christ. I’m starting to think that I was little hard on the O’Donnell car for not bringing anything new to the market, but as least they’ve been out there testing the car for years – this car just magically appears and we’re supposed to believe that it represents the cutting edge of innovation?! I think SH needs to focus on the business of making better engines - they still have a long way to go in that department. Leave the buggies to the people that have experience as chassis builders. Who’s going to have a 1/8 buggy next, RONCO?

Not only are you bashing a buggy YOU never seen , but you are now bashing their engines ? Have you ever had one of their mills ? I doubt it otherwise you would be saying the total opposite . SH engines run great and make mills for more companies than you probly realize . I`ve raced with their engines for years and they hang right there with the big boys . Just because they don`t cost $400 doesn`t mean they are shit . Experienced chassis builders ? How the heck do you think the "experienced chassis builders" got their experience ? By sitting by and watching everyone else build them ? Don`t think so pal . Maybe Crim3Wav3 objective is to promote this buggy , good for him and so what, is this a reason to bash him also ? He was stating a fact which obviously includes you . You any many others didn`t even give the buggy a chance and bashing the hell out of it and none of you have seen it in person . They have been testing this buggy for a little over two years now , just because you didn`t hear about it until now doesn`t make that it just "popped up " . As many other new items , from prospect to production things change . God forbid someone else try to get in the 1/8 buggy craze that has been growing . Look at when the 8ight was in the testing process , everyone was bashing the towers and the "different " inovative ideas on it and it kicks a$$ .
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have no agenda.

I live in Massachusetts for Christs sake...I'm not a distributor and i dont own a hobby shop.

rcg33k - After checking your previous 8 posts it appears you have nothing better to do than to BASH EVERYTHING. Personally i couldnt care less what you have to say. Im done with you.

I happen tho think that this TOY CAR (for you people who don't realize this) has potential. Hell, i think it has ALOT of potential. Sure, i doubt you'll ever see the rear hingepin design make it into a production car, but as a Mechanical Engineer myself, i LOVE the fact that they built it....think about it. Would they put so much effort and money into actually making molds without doing an FMEA to determine how much abuse the parts could take? no.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

and another thing....

Do you have any clue as to which market is the largest for these cars?

one clue: it ain't the USA.

it starts with "A" and ends with "sia"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.