Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Electric engine overheats and desolders wires. Why? >

Electric engine overheats and desolders wires. Why?

Electric engine overheats and desolders wires. Why?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Electric engine overheats and desolders wires. Why?

Hey guys I am new to R/C cars and am having some trouble. I just bought a used car so Ill try to give all the info I can.

Car: Team Losi XXXT Graphite ( I think they call it the MF2 Racing Truck Kit)
Speed Control: LRP IPC Digital v7.1
Controller: Sanwa MX-3
Airtronics Super Micro 3ch receiver by Sanwa
Battery: Venom 7.2v 5000mAh NiMH
Engine: I am not sure because I dont have an allen key to take of the cover blocking it.

Anyway here is my problem. I bought the car. I used it like 2 times (2 charges). I used it another time. When driving it just stopped. I noticed one of the wires going to the engine came off. I soldered it back on. It happened again and I soldered it on. Then it did the same thing again, except the wires were still connected. I am not good at soldering so I figured maybe it was a bad connection and let me just bring it to a shop. They said that the brushes on the motor got stuck. Not sure if that is related at all and they just free'd them up. I also had them redo the soldering because mine wasn't so good. They did a great job so I figured I'd be fine.

I went to use it again today. Put in a full charge battery and it was running great. Then all of a sudden its acting like the battery is dead and going like half speed after 5 minutes. I thought maybe the battery wasnt full but it was. I went to drive the car back to me and then all of a sudden it picked up and had full speed again. Ok dont know why that happened but its was fine so I kept riding.

As I am driving I see a trail of smoke behind the car for like 30 feet and then the car stops. I take the body off and BOTH wires came off of the engine and it smelled like burning.

Why is it getting so hot and smoking and desoldering the wires? Is the battery to big (voltage? or something else)? Is the engine shot and worn out?

Any help would be great and if you need anymore info please let me know. Thanks

EDIT**

Not sure if this is related but on the slipper clutch on the spur gear (not sure if I am using the right words)

the nut on the spring thing is tightened all the way down. I am guessing this leads to no wheel spin at all. Could that be overheating the motor?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The slipper could be part of it. Chances are, if you don't know what kind of motor it is, it is not the right one. I would go to the hobby shop and pick up a new one (the one you have is most likely done), and ask for one that will last the longest, as you don't have the equipment to keep it fresh.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

OK i got the motor out. It says Speed Gems Serpentine. I cant find any other writing on it.

looks just like this

A search shows its a Trinity Speed gems Pro Serpentine RC9257 14T Double. Is this the correct motor?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Do you know what size pinion you're running? Impromper gearing or a motor that's in really bad shape could cause it to heat up enough to unsolder your wires.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jynx
OK i got the motor out. It says Speed Gems Serpentine. I cant find any other writing on it.

looks just like this

A search shows its a Trinity Speed gems Pro Serpentine RC9257 14T Double. Is this the correct motor?
look at the bottom of the motor can, and there shold be a # on it, that will tell you how many winds it has (thats if there is no #'s on the label).

Also the gearing can play a huge role in the motor over heating.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I reread your first post
"As I am driving I see a trail of smoke behind the car for like 30 feet and then the car stops. I take the body off and BOTH wires came off of the engine and it smelled like burning."
I would say your motor is done, as once you let out the smoke it won't work again. Now you have to get a new motor for your truck.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

yea the motors are fairly cheap so I just went down to the track and talked to the guys there. First thing he did was check the gearing. It is 86 tooth and 18 tooth and he said thats fine. They said that motor I have is pretty crappy anyway and I got another one. I got a 19 turn for the track (its indoor and pretty small) and it works great. The old motor was done. Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

I had the same problem with my xxx4, I was runing a 12 turn speedgem motor,and it kept overheating and unsoldering one of my brushes,after about 3 mins of run time. i played with the gearing,and timming,but it still got hot. so it got tossed,my advice is don't buy any more speedgem type motors.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

it can be due to a misaligned brush hood.. and a poorly shimmed motor..

it looks like your overgeared in your picture
figure out what tooth is on there
and go three teeth smaller on the pinion.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Speed Gem Pro Serpentine is a 14 Turn Double Modified Motor.

Info from here

http://www.helgerracing.com/j2trinit...workspage.html

Check your gearing for whatever motor you replace this with!!

I had the "AMBER" 17 turn, the com was gone in two batteries!!