Wiki Posts
Search

lipo balancing ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default lipo balancing ?

lhs insists i only need to balance maybe once every 6 months, i was under the impression you need to do it every charge... so which is it?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

If all else fails read the batt instructions. But as you asked it varies depending on how offten you use it. Anywhere from three to six months is fine. The great thing about li po is that you don't have to do all the maintenance every run.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I never heard that. It depends more on how you use it, not now much. If you take it to the limits (full charge to LVC) a couple of times, it should be balanced. I notice that the older my cells get, the more they need to be balanced. A 6-10 month old battery that is used once a week, will need balancing every few charges. 6 months is way to long IMO.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbinny
lhs insists i only need to balance maybe once every 6 months, i was under the impression you need to do it every charge... so which is it?
I balance charge my lipo's eveytime. It does'nt take any longer & keeps your lipo's in good shape.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by happywing
I never heard that. It depends more on how you use it, not now much. If you take it to the limits (full charge to LVC) a couple of times, it should be balanced. I notice that the older my cells get, the more they need to be balanced. A 6-10 month old battery that is used once a week, will need balancing every few charges. 6 months is way to long IMO.
Well I have an orion 4200 platinum, according to the instructions that came with the batt and I quote: "with Kokam's battery design balancing is not required, but balancing will give the battery longer life". Any Battery regardless of its chemistry degrades each time its charged/discharged. Li-po's just do this slower than ni hm.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

once you get a balancer you should just balance every charge it only takes 2 seconds longer to hook up anyway.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I tried running a Lipo pack for a couple of charge cycles without balancing... It was pretty surprising to see how out of balance the pack was in just two runs... I recommend balancing on each charge... Like stated above, it doesn't take much to hook up the balancer when charging.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Well I have an orion 4200 platinum, according to the instructions that came with the batt and I quote: "with Kokam's battery design balancing is not required, but balancing will give the battery longer life". Any Battery regardless of its chemistry degrades each time its charged/discharged. Li-po's just do this slower than ni hm.
When you spend so much for a battery, it seems you would want the longest life and highest capacity possible. Quote all you want, balancing is essential. I can tell the difference.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the 2s 4800 peak racing pack is pretty darn impressive on my rusty vxl, but the maxamps 3s 4000 is just plain nutty on that thing... not a plug, btw. both have only been charged twice, and i'm planning on balancing every charge once my 3s 5000, charger, and balancer combo arrives tomorrow.
i knew my vxl was going to be fast, but not this fast...