Wiki Posts
Search

Knew Rusty vxl

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Knew Rusty vxl

I just picked up a rusty vxl and was curious if there's anything I need to know about this thing as far as maintenance or weak points... upgrades right off the bat? I went ahead and ordered a set of anaconda tires mounted on an extra pair of stock wheels for pavement (probably get the most use). I wanted something that would be a beast right out of the box for on and off road, so I'm thinking this was the best route for me to go.
I decided to go with the maxamps rtr combo here ...

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...LRTRKIT&cat=75

... since this will be my first experience with lipos I figured it would be a good place to start.

Last edited by jbinny; 10-09-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Before anyone says anything, I do realize I put 'K' new
Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

just make sure you check the mesh of the pinion and spur before you run it. Also, tighten the wheel nuts down before you run it. Other than that it is pretty solid.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

What wfdfiremedic said (one of my wheels came off after the first 15 minutes of running it) and check the slipper clutch nut (mine needed minor tightening).

If you're going to change the gearing keep an eye on the esc and motor temps. I had it setup to run 65+ and it got extremely hot and I've since switched back to stock and it's running cool again.

On durability, the truck is very tough. I've flipped it at least a dozen times on my street and everything is fine. The only thing that I could use is a new body because it's scratched and there's a minor hole from a long slide when it flipped at high speed (did a wheelie near top end with the 65+ gears ).

Also, the max amps rtr for the vxls is a great setup, the truck rips with that battery. The hyperion charger and lba balancer are easy to use.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R1R 7humbs
What wfdfiremedic said (one of my wheels came off after the first 15 minutes of running it) and check the slipper clutch nut (mine needed minor tightening).

If you're going to change the gearing keep an eye on the esc and motor temps. I had it setup to run 65+ and it got extremely hot and I've since switched back to stock and it's running cool again.

On durability, the truck is very tough. I've flipped it at least a dozen times on my street and everything is fine. The only thing that I could use is a new body because it's scratched and there's a minor hole from a long slide when it flipped at high speed (did a wheelie near top end with the 65+ gears ).

Also, the max amps rtr for the vxls is a great setup, the truck rips with that battery. The hyperion charger and lba balancer are easy to use.
I further concur that after 15 minutes I too lost the rear left wheel nut. My biggest complaint is the waste of battery space under the ESC mount. There is a wall up that you can dremel out to fit other, longer packs. Why Traxxas didn't make this 'wall' an optional insert is beyond me. Considering this little move pretty much bans you from shoving in half the high voltage high capacity lipo's on the market, you begin to wonder if Maxamps is trying to get into bed with Traxxas.

What further angers me about this is that if your a small mom-n-pop and can't afford to sit on stock it's tough to swallow the $500.00 minimum buy from Maxamps just to offer a high capacity lipo to your customer who just bought a VXL off of you. I think that if those two are going to get into bed together any mom-n-pop who is an authorized Traxxas dealer should get a waiver of the minimum buy. Else they are forced to stuff a different pack into them that could entail modifying the chassis and voiding the warranty - Just to offer the customer a pack that will do advertised speed to they're customer. But now I'm just ranting.

I will admit I was impressed by how the rustler vxl handles itself, and I loathe Traxxas so to admit that takes a lot. Great bang for the buck!

- Matt
Old 10-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

well, i'll have to wait til monday for my order from maxamps

my local shop is having a top speed challenge on the 28th, besides gears, what can be done to max this thing out?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jbinny
well, i'll have to wait til monday for my order from maxamps

my local shop is having a top speed challenge on the 28th, besides gears, what can be done to max this thing out?
put a 4s lipo in it
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I know the motor can, but I don't think the ESC can handle 4s LiPo packs.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kavvika
I know the motor can, but I don't think the ESC can handle 4s LiPo packs.
you're right, it's not designed to handle 4s lipo packs. Although I did read in the manual that 11.1v isn't the max that it can run... They stated "... a continous input voltage shouldn't exceed approx 14v's" or something very close to that.... I know it would probably get cooked fast with a 4s without modification but it should be able to do it.

They actually stated that an input voltage of 22v !?! should never be exceeded. That really caught me by surprise because of what they specifically mention it's certified for i.e. a 3s lipo @ 11.1v max. Obviously the motor would grenade or just die if that kind of voltage was applied to it.