Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray NT1 vs Team Magic G4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Talking Xray NT1 vs Team Magic G4S

ok, yall new it was coming sooner or later...so here it is, a post where we can discuss the differences, similarities, pro, cons, advantages, and disadvantages of these racing platforms. As well as the popular opinions of the drivers of each...have fun!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

so for new nitro racers or even novice builders, which do yall think is a better car to go with as far as price and building ease?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've built and raced both, so I'll give you my opinion.

G4S
Build quality is very good and the kit is easy to put together. However, to do it properly there is a bit if work required to get the front and rear suspension working without binding. Nothing more that some polishing and a bit of reaming on the arms - pretty standard on most kits. The included components are very good, such as front CVD's, recevier pack, receiver switch plug and aluminium wheel hexes.

The car is very strong an stands up to racing quite well. There were no real weak points that I have found so far, other than perhaps the rear body posts which can be affected if you flip it on its lid (which I do, a lot). However, in order to be competitive there are some hop ups which are almost essential. The ED Transmission is required in order to give you a better drive ratio. You'll achieve greater acceleration without affecting top end. If you want to tune the front end, the Speedshot front end will give you roll centre adjustments that can help with the cars natural off power understeer.

Team magic recognised the shortcomings and due to much feedback from racers, released the G4+ which is a limited edition model. This model incorporates the ED Transmission as well as the Speedshot front end, 4mm chassis, new arms which can shorten the wheelbase, and a new rear sway bar arrangement similar to a Kyosho RRR (ie a V shaped blade). The car had an immediate impact and won the European Championship. Luckily, all of the parts required to convert a G4S into a G4+ are available on line and in many LHS's.

Parts availablity is good on-line, although I believe there may be some local distribution issues in the US which many people attribute to Trinity being the distributor. However, if you a re US based you can not go past Raceday Hobbies. Great service and price.

NT1
Build quality of the NT1 is exceptional and did not require a lot of tweaking to get the car built properly. The diffs can be a bit tricky due to the use of a very thin o-ring, and the carry handle has a tendency to want to tweak the top plate. Apart form that, car goes together very well and the drivetrain is incredibly smooth - more like an electric car than a nitro. Some gripes about the quality of components, ie no front CVD's, no aluminium wheel hexes and the shock bodies are composite and not alloy. The standard foam bumber is also very soft and many opt for the hard bumper (which is very hard). However, the only real upgrades required are the front CVD's although being Xray they are expensive. The lack of a switch plug annoyed me but was no biggie.

On the track the car was very impressive. I was able to better my lap times over the G4S on the first day. The car had more steering and felt more stable through the corners. Whilst I am nowhere near the fastest at my club, the car gave me a lot of confidence and allowed me to concentrate on keeping a good line rather than just trying to stay on the track.

Parts availability is good where I am (Australia) in both LHS and on-line. Of course, the cost of Xray parts are up to 100% more than other brands, although it is hard to fault the quality. So far I have yet to break anything, although I have managed to push the exhaust holder onto the front pulley which has required a replacement.

In terms of results on the track, the G4S has achieved 2 European Championships as well as a host of country championships such as Spainish, British, Peruvian and Portugese. Perhaps the car is better suited to the high grip purpose built tracks in Europe? The NT1 has been gaining a lot of popularity in the US and has performed well in every event it has competed in. Not too sure of any major wins but I'm sure somebody will point them out.

My recommendation though would be the NT1, although be prepared for increased runnings costs due to expensive parts. The kit will cost you more especially as you need to buy the CVD's, although when compared to a G4S with ED tranny the price becomes more comparable.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

are the KFactory Parts as good as the Xray parts as far as quality and engineering?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Tech Regular

oh i also wanted to thank Teehomo for the info!!! you got any pics of those two cars??
Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badKarma
oh i also wanted to thank Teehomo for the info!!! you got any pics of those two cars??
Go the Xray. Yes they are a little bit more expensive, but you will not be disappointed.
I would also look at the Mugen MTX4, but the main thing is to see what the guys at your local track run. Teehomo and i race at the same club and it is full of G4's, MTX4's & now NT1's (also the occasional Serpent). It is good to bounce around race setups with others that have the same car, it also helps if you break something and you need a spare part .
Old 10-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Kfactory parts are of a high quality - perhaps not quite as high as Xray (probably debateable) but they are certainly better value for money.

Below are some pics of my two cars - both taken before they were put on the track and hence the pristine condition. Both cars are also in stock standard configuration straight out of the box, ie no hop ups applied yet.

Whilst I prefer the NT1 on the track, I have a huge soft spot for the G4S and also think it is a much better looking car.
Attached Thumbnails Xray NT1 vs Team Magic G4S-picture-007.jpg   Xray NT1 vs Team Magic G4S-picture-030.jpg  
Old 10-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

kfactory are only average quality, better than 3 racing but nothing on kawahara. I haven't used either of these cars but considered both when purchasing my last car. The xray proved too expensive - the kit was $150 more than i paid for my MTX4R, and didn't include any of the options, and no one races the TM so the choice was between mugen and kyosho. I have a mugen buggy so for parts commonality thats the way I went. In reality all the top kits are capable of the same performance (serpent too), but I think anyone buying a new kit should go with what has the support, both in parts availability and knowledge down the track
Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Sorry guys...720?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Both are great cars but if you happen to go to Taiwan for holidays the parts for TM and even the G4S/+ itself are way cheaper compared to exported parts.TM's philosophy on building rc cars is admirable to me.Xray parts may be much better but it may well be made in China and that goes for all other brands...hahahah.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 AM
GK
Suspended

Originally Posted by suck_my_exhaust
...Xray parts may be much better but it may well be made in China...
I can assure you all Xray parts are made at their facility in Slovakia...
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

ok, does anyone know if any of any aluminum chassis parts are made for either car? like suspension arms or center bulkhead pieces? further more, what would be the advantage of thses parts? simply weight or duribility? what weights more, composite pieces or the light weight aluminum?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badKarma
ok, does anyone know if any of any aluminum chassis parts are made for either car? like suspension arms or center bulkhead pieces? further more, what would be the advantage of thses parts? simply weight or duribility? what weights more, composite pieces or the light weight aluminum?
if you want to see alu. parts, goes to 3racing site. they have many alu substitutes there. I really don't see much of aftermarket Alu. part is really need. they are heavier, pricier and after time when they break they tend to drag more plastic part to garbage can with them.

most of time Alu. option is for bling factors, if you want alu. part, use it on those with least chance to get impact like middle mount.

some use on suspansion mount if the plastic one break a lot, but keep in mind if one thing stop breaking the other might break.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

who can tell me what the 3racing website is?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

oh yeah, besides no CVDs, the NT1 comes with composite shocks, the G4S with aluminum, so thats another part NT1 drivers have to purchase...speaking of shocks, do any racers out there do shock rebuilds between heats? what about diff rebuilds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.