GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, I d like to known how much cost to convert a Mugen MBX6 in GT car?

Thanks GHN
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghn-sp

Thanks GHN
I'm interested in a Mugen conversion too... I run a Mugen truggy, so I have lots of Mugen parts, and lots of stuff is the same on buggy/truggy of course.

I'm actually thinking about finding an old MBX5 to convert instead of the MBX6. And since the trend is now toward longer "truggy chassis" cars, perhaps use an MBX6T chassis. (It would be nice to use one starter box for it and my truggy!) Just thinking it over at this point...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Domit, take a second look at that trend. Most top U.S. drivers are running short chassis cars. Serpent, Team C, and short chassis Kyosho. Should tell you something.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i would be in contact with snr to dicuss suspension items first
Old 10-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghn-sp

Thanks GHN
As was posted earlier, SNR has some shock towers, but the real issue is the 2 speed. I have one that is mocked up and in the car using an OFNA support and the 2 speed out of the MRX4x car. Need to do a little machining, so you don't need special bearings that are next to un-obtanium.

I will also be looking at the shock towers with a similar set up to the ones that I have for the DM-1 car (parts can be seen on the DM-1 Thread here on RCTech)

Still have to source the drive shafts and some other parts.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I'm interested in a Mugen conversion too... I run a Mugen truggy, so I have lots of Mugen parts, and lots of stuff is the same on buggy/truggy of course.

I'm actually thinking about finding an old MBX5 to convert instead of the MBX6. And since the trend is now toward longer "truggy chassis" cars, perhaps use an MBX6T chassis. (It would be nice to use one starter box for it and my truggy!) Just thinking it over at this point...
Hi I have a kit convertion to mugen mbx6 Gt for sales chacis and shok tower aluminum 7075 for picture [email protected]
Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

The kit is already done. Alejo has been doing minor updates since the last worlds where his conversion came in 3rd place. This after the car had been built the night before the qualifiers started. It is short wheelbase so finding a body that fits is easy.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alejo
Hi I have a kit convertion to mugen mbx6 Gt for sales chacis and shok tower aluminum 7075 for picture [email protected]
I had heard about your conversion. You made a flat chassis for the car, but what did you do for the 2 speed center gears?

I'm working with the stock chassis or the BCE+3 off the buggy, so the kick up is still there, which is where the rules seem to be going.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by Grenade10
As was posted earlier, SNR has some shock towers, but the real issue is the 2 speed. I have one that is mocked up and in the car using an OFNA support and the 2 speed out of the MRX4x car. Need to do a little machining, so you don't need special bearings that are next to un-obtanium.

I will also be looking at the shock towers with a similar set up to the ones that I have for the DM-1 car (parts can be seen on the DM-1 Thread here on RCTech)

Still have to source the drive shafts and some other parts.
I'm not a serious racer, not in Truggy, and not likely to be in GT. Therefore, I don't see any need for a 2-speed. It is just something else to provide a potential point of failure. Additionally, the 2-speeds use a "spool" in the center. While I see the advantage of that in some ways for power transfer, I don't like the idea of not having differential (front/rear) braking. If the on-road cars behave anything like the off-road ones, I suspect it would be to my advantage to be able to have a front brake bias. This of course means a center diff, which eliminates the possibility of a 2-speed.

I'm just looking at this as another toy to play with. I race for fun, and don't really take competition seriously. I'm even tempted to just get one of the less expensive cars which might not even be at all competitive- OFNA GTP, or the older, shorter Kyosho... or convert a different buggy as mentiioned above. I don't like the concept of the "lay down" shocks on the other OFNA. More moving parts = more stuff to fail. I'm open to suggestions though.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

If this is your first step into on-road, you will find that a locked center is far better than a diff . The brake bias you are used to in off road doesn't apply here. Trust me , you will want the two speed even if you are playing with the car. You can find a used GT for a couple of hundred and have a blast with it.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spooky 1
If this is your first step into on-road, you will find that a locked center is far better than a diff . The brake bias you are used to in off road doesn't apply here. Trust me , you will want the two speed even if you are playing with the car. You can find a used GT for a couple of hundred and have a blast with it.
Thanks. Note: Not only would this be my first step into onroad, it would probably be my ONLY step into onroad. I'm old, my eyes suck and my reactions are slow. No way I could drive any of the smaller, quicker cars.

That being said, what cars should I consider? Is the older OFNA ok? (I think it is called a GTP) The older "short" Kyosho? Should I consider converting a buggy? Buy that Ofna "circle track" car and go from there? Buy a cheap RTR and upgrade a few things like receiver (have a spare) steering servo (have a spare) engine backplate (to remove the pull start... NEVER AGAIN will I use a pull start!) I DO somewhat like the idea of having interchangable parts to a certain extent, so a Mugen buggy seems to me to be a good candidate...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Thanks. Note: Not only would this be my first step into onroad, it would probably be my ONLY step into onroad. I'm old, my eyes suck and my reactions are slow. No way I could drive any of the smaller, quicker cars.

That being said, what cars should I consider? Is the older OFNA ok? (I think it is called a GTP) The older "short" Kyosho? Should I consider converting a buggy? Buy that Ofna "circle track" car and go from there? Buy a cheap RTR and upgrade a few things like receiver (have a spare) steering servo (have a spare) engine backplate (to remove the pull start... NEVER AGAIN will I use a pull start!) I DO somewhat like the idea of having interchangable parts to a certain extent, so a Mugen buggy seems to me to be a good candidate...
If you are interested getting a GT car that has all the optional upgrade on it and it had already setup to race let me know. I have the winning car just for you. PM me if interested. I am from Austin Texas.

Andy Liu "Flyin Hawaiian"
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Grenade10
I had heard about your conversion. You made a flat chassis for the car, but what did you do for the 2 speed center gears?

I'm working with the stock chassis or the BCE+3 off the buggy, so the kick up is still there, which is where the rules seem to be going.
He uses a DM1 two speed.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

hey now i currently run a old original ofna gtp and all i have to say is it is still competative and i have had podium finishes this year yes it is out of date but nothing a set of dm1 spec shocks and a decent engine (gxii sho) didn't cure but was running the original force 28 most of the year
Old 10-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by azeroth
hey now i currently run a old original ofna gtp and all i have to say is it is still competative and i have had podium finishes this year yes it is out of date but nothing a set of dm1 spec shocks and a decent engine (gxii sho) didn't cure but was running the original force 28 most of the year

Thanks... that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.